Re: Surprising Tools You Can't Live Without

Great thread

Is bailing wire a tool ?

A roll of good strong twine.
Maka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:49   #32

Boat: Bayfield 36 Cutter

Small silica gel packs ..... to put in every tool bag, power tool case (or bag),handheld electronic boxes etc.
Tafa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2018, 19:53   #33

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by captlloyd View Post
Harbor Freight 4-1/2 inch angle grinder. Yes, I can hear the chuckles out there now. I am in the metal working business and have about three. The one I have been using now daily is going out after 3 years. Get the red one, about $20 bucks. You can cut and shape with them, buy some thin cut off wheels and some flap disks. I always take the safety guard off, gets in the way. I also wear safety gear. 60 years in the business, still alive with common sense. The cut off wheels are about 1/16 inch thick, be very careful using these. They will cut through about anything. Use a full plastic face guard, also Harbor Freight, something you should have on the boat anyway. A Sawsall is very handy also, you can cut wood and metal easily. Wow, Harbor Freight should give me a Commission, they have a pack of adapters that allow you to use your sockets in your cordless drill for about $3 bucks. 1/4, 3/8, 1/2.
I was about to write almost the same recommendations, except Makita grinder.

Also, I agree about Gorilla Tape. It's a lot heavier, stronger and stickier than any silver colored duct tape.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 15:06   #34

Boat: Tanzer 8.5 #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC402 View Post
multimeter
magnet on a telescoping wand
mirror on a telescoping wand
impeller puller
infrared thermometer
strap wrench (great for slippery strainers and filters)
Infrared thermometers are always going on sale at Canadian Tire. It looks like a neat tool to have but I don't know what I would use it for?
Old 17-04-2018, 15:32   #35

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkusK View Post
Infrared thermometers are always going on sale at Canadian Tire. It looks like a neat tool to have but I don't know what I would use it for?
Let me count the ways:

1. Point it at various spots on your engine at equilibrium operating temperature and write them down. Priceless when it starts to overheat, or the temp guage goes bad.
2. Ditto with your fridge/freezer/air conditioner.
3 Also good for diagnosing slipping alternator belt--pully is hotter than the body.
4. Point at the water before you jump in.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-04-2018, 16:25   #36
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

A portable work surface. It's not like you can beat on something or clean a carb on the deck!

I like a plastic cafeteria tray. I've had a Popeyes tray that I found on a beach 25 years ago, and it has served through many winch and carb cleanings, lots of pounding, painting and epoxy jobs, and after a quick scrub, cutting bait and cleaning fish. It's pretty beat up, and I love it.
Old 17-04-2018, 16:28   #37
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Hot spots on heat exchangers and mufflers. Trouble shooting over heating. Working on the AC or heat. Evaluating cabin insulation and ice boxes for voids and seal leaks. Hot spots on power panels and solar panels. Cooking.
Old 17-04-2018, 16:56   #38

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

A good quality (NOT ten buck bargain bin models) impact driver with bits to match every fastener on the boat. A short handle small sledge to drive it.

I was astounded how much better the 45 dollar driver (that I bought in desperation one day) worked than the bargain bin ones I'd had before.

Jim

PS The "croissant wrench" mentioned upthread gave me a chuckle... I've always manipulated them by hand!
Old 17-04-2018, 17:16   #39

Boat: Hunter 2003 356 - Persistence

I guarantee you the tool you leave behind will be the tool you need. Never fails for me. If you have it you probably won’t need it.
J Clark H356 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:11   #40
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

All you need is phone...

...to call Sheen Marine.

Reasonable rates + mileage + expenses. ;-)

Just kidding.

My recommendation is to purchase an all-in-one self contained toolkit, that has poly-moulded space for every tool that goes in it.

They can be purchased pretty cheap on line or at your favourite "tire" store.

They have a nice assortment of commonly required tools.

The tools are light and low quality, but they are going to get wrecked anyway so don't worry.

I use one daily in my marine service business, and it invariably hits the pavement and / or water several times per year.

Generally, the case is beat up and falling apart by the end of the season, so I buy another one, and use previous to restock tools as the get lost or break.

For regular boat use, a unit should last pretty much a life time, but sooner or later, you will send enough of the tools to Davy Jones, and it will be cheaper to buy a new one than replace the lost tools in the old one.

The beauty of these kits, is that you can see in an instant if any tool has rolled out of sight, and know you need to hunt it down, before packing up.

While performing your refit, make a note of anytime you need to fetch another tool not included in the all-in-one kit, and take that with you too.

The tools are relatively light, so the larger the boat, the less likely they will be completely adequate. (To reduce weight and storage space consumed for tools, one may often have to use a tool that is not ideally suited for purpose.)

On my boat, I have some large hex socket cap screws on the prop shaft coupler that I purchased a large Allen wrench for and wedged into one of the cavities in the all-in-one poly moulded tool box. (I could have replaced the bolts with something the kit can fit, but my solution was easier, faster, cheaper.

(Of course the one tool not included in the kit, is the one you will most certainly need.)

Another recommendation is a full kit of L-ion 20Vdc power tools, at least 2 batteries, and an inverter that can charge them.

For materials, all you need is:

1. PB Blaster for anything stuck that shouldn't be.
2. Duck tape for anything that should be stuck and isn't.

;-)

Fair seas in your travels.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:22   #41
cruiser

Quote:
You should be using one today, to learn that your hull temp is way too low for bottom painting. ;-)
Old 18-04-2018, 08:34   #42

I understand why everyone recommends 18 or 20 volt cordless tools. Personally, though, two of the most useful tools I have are a 12 volt cordless drill, and a 12 volt cordless impact driver.

Both eventually wore out their batteries. I took the battery case, removed the batteries, and wired them up so that they could run off of a cigarette-plug type connector. Now, I can run these tools off of their own battery (replacements I bought), or I can plug them into any 12 volt source. I carry them with me in my Jeep. I carry them with me on the boat. They are very useful. I have even used them at home -- when the battery died and I didn't want to wait for it to recharge -- by connecting them to the 12 volt power supply that I have for my ham radios.

Yes, there is a significant difference in the power available with a 12 volt cordless versus a 20 volt cordless tool. It sure is nice not to always have to wait for the battery to recharge, though.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 08:51   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
I understand why everyone recommends 18 or 20 volt cordless tools. Personally, though, two of the most useful tools I have are a 12 volt cordless drill, and a 12 volt cordless impact driver.

Both eventually wore out their batteries. I took the battery case, removed the batteries, and wired them up so that they could run off of a cigarette-plug type connector. Now, I can run these tools off of their own battery (replacements I bought), or I can plug them into any 12 volt source. I carry them with me in my Jeep. I carry them with me on the boat. They are very useful. I have even used them at home -- when the battery died and I didn't want to wait for it to recharge -- by connecting them to the 12 volt power supply that I have for my ham radios.

Yes, there is a significant difference in the power available with a 12 volt cordless versus a 20 volt cordless tool. It sure is nice not to always have to wait for the battery to recharge, though.
Great MacGyver solution but a 20 V L-ion tools are much more powerful, and second battery with inverter solves the same problem.
Old 18-04-2018, 20:02   #44
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Redhead-
The first time I flew into Alaska, prior to the 9/11 hysteria, no one looked twice at the guy returning home with a gasoline powered chain saw as his cabin bag. ITS ALASKA, things are a little different up there. Yes, you can order anything by subsidized US Mail and yes, there are even WalMarts now. But the state capital is landlocked--no roads in or out, about seven miles on the longest road from end to end. As a cop said "We don't get many stolen cars up here, and if we do, it usually is at the next bar down the road."

Alaskans have many tools and many tool sellers, odds are you can get what you need, but unless you want to wait for snail mail, or pay local prices that may reflect heavy freight rates...I'd say "Bring it all."

Lately I've gotten a couple of tool rolls. They're even on Amazon now, but five years ago you couldn't find one for blood or money anywhere. Spray 'em with a little oil or WD40 and they discourage rust on the tools. One for the screwdriver-ish tools, one for the plier-ish tools.They stow in all sorts of odd places, they keep things organized. The don't replace the regular tool box but if you know you'll only need one type of tool...handy to grab the roll. Never have to rummage, it all lays out flat. And they don't rattle around, either.

I would disagree with Rod about the all-in-one kits. I love the concept--but to find one that has really good top of the line tools in it? Lottery money! And by the time I knew they existed, I already had too many faithful metal friends that were not about to be made redundant.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2018, 20:51   #45

Boat: Outremer 50S

If you travel where there are bugs (and Alaska has plenty) you may use hatch screens. If you do, a screen spline roller is invaluable.

We only use screens 5-10% of the time but it seems the #1 repair is screen repairs. Sure, you can use a screwdriver, or a coin, or... but the actual tool makes things so much easier for $5, and it's 100% plastic.
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote