Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-04-2018, 09:43   #1

Boat: 1978 O'day 27
Northern Utah

Hello, last year I bought a fixer/upper Mid-70’s Catalina 27 to sail on Bear Lake in northern Utah. It needs a new fore-stay and some sail work, to start. Can anyone reccomend a rigger that operates in N. Utah and also somewhere I can send the sails for evaluation/repair? I rigged a halyard to replace the fore-stay then climbed the mast but could not remove the pin holding the forestay(old salt water boat) but did not want to take a torch to the mast head; heat and halyard do not mix I expect and the options for a good landing when the mast collapses were few. The boat is on a trailer now near a hand crank winch so dropping the mast should be doable( I was going to say easy but...).
I am a 62 y.o. Semi-retired newbie, still active climber, skier, paddler etc. who has experience with carpentry, cabinetmaking, welding, metal work etc. so can provide some assistance to whomever I can cajole into coming up here and giving me a hand. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
check327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 02:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Re: Northern Utah

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, check.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 16:10   #3

Boat: Pearson 367

Hello and welcome. I'm a bit new to the Utah sailing scene. I've sailed Bear lake a couple times. There are a lot of knowledgeable sailors there that can point you in the right direction. The Bear Lake Yacht Club is pretty active.

I'd make some friends there. I'd drop the mast with the nearby crane, then replacing the rigging yourself should be pretty easy. I also have a friend who sails there that used to be a sailmaker so he can point you in the right direction. PM me your info and I'll try to put you in touch.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2018, 16:11   #4

Boat: American Mariner 24'

I have no idea about services in Utah, sorry. But, your post just triggered something in my brain. When I was a kid, 10-11 yo(?), I was in the Boy Scouts in Salt Lake, and if I remember correctly, I did a week long camp at Bear Lake and was the first time I stepped onto a sailboat.

Good luck with your search and welcome to the cite, its full of helpful and friendly people.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote