Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2017, 16:21   #46

Re: My boating dreams are dying...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
My wife likes the boat when there is no wind. But she likes to camp so we bought a small motor home. When I sail I sail alone, one day or a week or two. For us it works. E.g. You don't have to be joined at the hips in everything. Ymmv

Well, we loved camping in our RV so much that when we sold our house we moved full time into one! Taking the "house" on a camping trip is a very big undertaking these days.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 16:24   #47

Y'all don't misunderstand the original post. It wasn't meant as a "save my relationship" thread.

I'm just wondering what kind of boats I should look at that would be a happy medium for both of us. I dont mind going fast, I just dont prefer it.

I'll boat on whatever terms I have to just to be on the water. I just want to make a well informed, prepared decision on whatever our next boat is going to be.
TooCoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 19:50   #48

Boat: Kettenburg 1977 32 ft.

Find an older 30-36' Grand Banks. They are good solid boats and tow a go fast dingy
1Sunseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 21:14   #49

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooCoys View Post
Y'all don't misunderstand the original post. It wasn't meant as a "save my relationship" thread.

I'm just wondering what kind of boats I should look at that would be a happy medium for both of us. I dont mind going fast, I just dont prefer it.

I'll boat on whatever terms I have to just to be on the water. I just want to make a well informed, prepared decision on whatever our next boat is going to be.
"I" just want to? Shouldn't it be "we"?

You mentioned you enjoyed the powerboat together. Do what you enjoy together. Enjoy it. Don't get bogged down with what you're not doing, but enjoy what you're doing. Then if one day a sailboat makes sense for the two of you, great.

"Fight" was your word, not mine.

Go boat shopping together. You'll dislike one. He'll dislike the next. Then along the way you'll find that one you both like.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 23:27   #50

Get a catamaran sailboat! Lots of room , sails flat , party rain or shine and walk into the water off the sugar scoops ! Run the motors when no wind and sail to save money when the wind blows ! Full galley and air condition ! I saw a 35 ft.Gemini for less than a 30 ft sea ray ! No brainer , catamarans are more fun !
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2017, 23:44   #51

Boat: 2000 Donzi Z275

I have been around sailboats most of my life. I enjoyed day sailing and racing when I was young. After going through a life threatening illness, I decided now was the time to go boat shopping. We started BIG and as our knowledge grew, our hull size shrunk. We traveled all over ky, tn and fl looking at boats. My only to criteria were power and fiberglass. We decided to buy a trailerable boat. No slip fees, splashing fees. We can even pull into a camp ground for the night!!! We really liked the looks of the Searays, but they were expensive, wide and heavy. After almost 6 months of crawling around boats we found the right one. The Donzi Z275. The engine was almost new, the hull is good, but the wood inside was rotten due to porthole leaks. We tore out the wood and replaced with Starboard and resealed the portholes. We are getting a little frustrated getting things fixed, but I am confident that our sweat equity will pay off soon. The Donzi cruises nicely about 10-15mph without sucking the gas. But she will go about 40 at full throttle
Working on this boat has given us a mission and a goal that has brought us closer together. Looking forward to our new adventure.
Sparks5501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2017, 03:30   #52

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
It needed some paint, and some deck work, and little cosmetic things, but my partner was adamant that he didn't want anything he had to work on.

We did see a Mainship Pilot 30 last weekend and I really liked it.

I meant to comment earlier on that "work on" thing, since that's pretty much critical to boating. Perhaps that means not buying a project boat, but maintenance going forward is OK? If so, boating could work for you. Perhaps that means you do all the maintenance work? If so, and if you like that, perhaps boating could work for you.

Otherwise... boats need work. You need some kind of agreement on how you could proceed...

Lots of boats out there like that Pilot. What did HE think about it?

-Chris
Old 01-07-2017, 15:30   #53

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

Finding a new boat with a new partner onboard?
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 10:25   #54
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if your partner has not yet seen inside a trawler, do it. and then watch face as love begins. they ar e comfy, not sail powered and can also have a sail, for your needs ha ha ha and hugely roomy and donot heel while under way , not guzzlers of fuel, and are pretty to look at. there are old ones and new styles... many to choose from. check it ouyt see what that could do--and goout with friends on one with partner..... you may have found the answer eben before you set out on this thankless mission into forumville and the naysaying do this do that mayhem...hahahahaha
let us know to what you end up committing

ye could get a house and a dinghy sailor.... both worlds...minimal maintenance issues.....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 12:17   #55

Send a message via Skype™ to Gadagirl

Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but I can't find a post where you discuss your budget price of a boat desired. I ask because if it's in your budget an older twin screw diesel such as an Silverton

1994 Silverton Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

could meet your needs. Just a suggestion. And I agree, it's very difficult to explain/offer reasons while events are happening, he clearly doesn't understand that. So a bit of patience from you will go a long way. Clearly state before embarking that you have the safety of the boat and it's passenger forefront in your mind at all times. Explain to him beforehand that there will absolutely be no question and answer session going on while you are in the middle of things. Assure him that afterwards, or on the next long tact, or while anchored or snugged in at a marina, he may ask as many questions as he pleases and you will explain in a calm voice and a calm setting the reasoning behind each maneuver.

I offer this because the best skipper I sailed with would often discuss these things before and at the end of the day. Whether we questioned him or not. He normally was the first person to open/initiate the discussion, which encouraged crew to ask questions and learn. As a result, there was never any animosity on that boat, we trusted him fully.
Gadagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 13:43   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandero View Post
I don't buy the dreams stuff we continually read in these sailing forums. Getting into sailing and boat ownership is a serious commitment. Dreams are fantasies... boats are reality.... work, planning, study, learning. It takes a huge effort and commitment to be able to take a relaxing sail and enjoy it... especially with a landlubber aboard. You need equipoment, skill... and experience which takes time to acquire.

Boats and the sea are not familiar environments to landlubbers with "dreams"... they are challenges... It looks easy and a joy when you see "pros" at it... what you don't see is how they got there and all the hard work it took.

It's like dreaming of figure skating, gymnastics, ballet, play concert piano... Years and years of hard work are what it takes. When the dream doesn't pop for people they get discouraged... as if they could walk through a click their heels and it comes true.
There is important truth in this, even if it might be a bit overstated. Having had my first career in one of the professions named in the last paragraph -- boating is NOT like that

But the important truth is that being on the sea does indeed require quite a commitment of work and study, even if it's far less than what is required to be a concert pianist. That's the secret, actually -- if you are attracted to the work and study, learning, tinkering, fixing, etc. -- if you can picture yourself crawling in the bilges with a wrench in your hand, and smile -- if you find satisfaction in plotting the perfect three point fix -- you will be just fine. If the "dream" is, exclusively, scudding across a glassy sea on an eternal beam reach, with the sun on your cheeks and the wind in your hair -- not as much.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 13:51   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by navy davy View Post
Get a catamaran sailboat! Lots of room , sails flat , party rain or shine and walk into the water off the sugar scoops ! Run the motors when no wind and sail to save money when the wind blows ! Full galley and air condition ! I saw a 35 ft.Gemini for less than a 30 ft sea ray ! No brainer , catamarans are more fun !
That's really good advice, for anyone struggling with a husband, wife, girlfriend, etc. (can't bring myself to use that ghastly crime against the English language -- "partner") who doesn't like heeling or the other discomforts of sailing. A cat is a party barge and sailboat in one -- perfect solution. You can sneak the sails up when he or she is sleeping or drunk . . .
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 14:57   #58

Quote:

This whole situation is your own fault anyway for not being
patient

and having fun at the same time. What a grouch !!!!!

Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 19:51   #59

Boat: Various

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Sisters View Post
This whole situation is your own fault anyway for not being
patient

and having fun at the same time. What a grouch !!!!!

Wifey B: Wow...a hot sports opinion. Would you care to elaborate and explain how you determined?

Oh, and is it unanimous opinion of all three sisters?
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 23:43   #60

Guess it is TooCoys move to expand on or ignore the conclusion made from reading many threads over the past year+. They'll figure it out
Three Sisters is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, boating