Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2018, 14:00   #16

Boat: Boatless
Re: Is it possible to sail entire Caribbean with no night sailing?

I’ve got your boat right here and will even throw in five days of advanced training which includes a sail to the Bahamas for a full price offer ;-)

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/63799

"Take it all in, it's as big as it seems, count all your blessings, remember your dreams" JB
akprb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:01   #17

Another great resource would be Captain Johns book "Caribbean Island Hopping". Here is a link to some information on this.

Frugal Voyager - Caribbean.

Brian
bbarnholtz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:21   #18

Boat: Tartan30

Sailing along in a fresh breeZe under a full moon is one of the most joyous experiences of my life!
Sailing in total darkness can be pretty spooky sometimes, but it is a good test of Seamanship. I equate it with IFR in an airplane. Its a time to really use the night vision skills, turn up the natural volume my ears are capable of, and let my body become one with the boat feeling every wave slap the hull, hearing and feeling the rigging, and using my minds eye to "see" the wind.
As has been said many areas should not be attempted in waining light, but I remember the feeling when the sun came up after my first overnight voyage, and how I felt like I was one step closer to being a Competent Sailor.
Study your charts, understand your instruments, find some deep water, and become one with the darkness. ENJOY!!!!!
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 15:47   #19

Boat: FP Salina 48, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I'm in the planning phase to buy a sailboat soon and was just wondering about sailing in 'stages' such as only during the day for awhile, then getting more comfortable with sailing at night, etc. -- hence the question. But now realize the dangers of arriving at a port at night (or late in the day) and not having visibility to spot reefs, etc.
It's super easy. Pick a nice sailing day. Wait for dark. Go sailing. Arrive in the Bahamas in the morning.

Nothing to fear at night that can't get you during the day. Ships are way easier to spot at night too. There's the risk of a squall blowing up on you and not seeing it, but just put a reef in at dusk, slow down and enjoy.
Tornadosailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:06   #20

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

We hate night sailing. To us it is a necessary evil. WE try and avoid night sailing as much as possible but know that if we ever intend on crossing an ocean, we will need to get over it.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 17:51   #21

Location: Gone sailing! Please don't tell our adult kids where we are!
Boat: Downeaster 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by akprb View Post
I’ve got your boat right here and will even throw in five days of advanced training which includes a sail to the Bahamas for a full price offer ;-)

https://m.sailboatlistings.com/view/63799
Beauty of a boat akprb!

Old 15-08-2018, 19:29   #22

Boat: Fortuna Island Spirit 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatingnewbie View Post
I'm in the planning phase to buy a sailboat soon and was just wondering about sailing in 'stages' such as only during the day for awhile, then getting more comfortable with sailing at night, etc. -- hence the question. But now realize the dangers of arriving at a port at night (or late in the day) and not having visibility to spot reefs, etc.
Awesome that you are asking and learning. I truly believe there is no dumb questions.

I hope you find your boat and have a fantastic time!
travellerw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 20:02   #23

Boat: 50’ Bavaria

I’m in the “go night sailing” camp. Set off in the evening. There’s nothing better than night sailing, except for the wonderful experience of dawn coming up while you’re doing it...
Tillsbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 20:27   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by travellerw View Post
Awesome that you are asking and learning. I truly believe there is no dumb questions.

I hope you find your boat and have a fantastic time!
Sincerely appreciate it! Doing my best to learn all I can and getting some fantastic help from nice folks on this forum.
boatingnewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2018, 23:11   #25

Boat: Sail & Power for over 35 years, experience cruising the Eastern Caribbean, Western Med, and more

Another thread here that started just before yours: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...do-205953.html with similar questions but from the opposite direction - Trinidad heading north.

Unsurprisingly you will find much the same answers there about how to consider and plan these longer legs.

Hope it helps too
jmh2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 05:53   #26

What´s wrong with night sailing, it´s beautiful and relaxing. Just keep AIS on.
stefnieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2018, 07:11   #27

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefnieman View Post
What´s wrong with night sailing, it´s beautiful and relaxing. Just keep AIS on.
The short answer is no. There is nothing wrong with night sailing if you can get out an inlet and away from land relatively easily - I do it all the time. I would not sail or motor on the ICW or other inland waterways at night except in emergencies or if there is really no other choice, but open sea is fine, and enjoyable. I have even sailed at night in the Sea of Abaco, staying on the magenta line of Explorer Charts and I think that's safe as well because explorer Charts are the gold standard. By the way, the stars in the Bahamas on a moonless night are unbelievable. Definitely get a copy of "Passages South" by Van Sant.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 04:13   #28

Boat: Maxim 380

Get comfortable with your new boat in moderate conditions. Then take it offshore and get used to sailing in the open ocean. After that you're ready for an overnight run. We just completed the thorny path to Grenada and it will require a few overnight runs to do safely.
tunnelvision is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2018, 05:35   #29

I had my first night watch on my own at the age of 15. Was fantastic - saw shooting stars, disturbed a basking shark. Loved it ever since.

My advice is take the boat out during the day, get used to the area then plan a night sail in the same location - go out to sea for a couple of hours and back in again at daylight. That will give you confidence in your skills and night sailing.

It's one of the best parts of sailing. Enjoy it.
B23iL23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2018, 07:21   #30

Boat: 47 CT Ketch
Send a message via Skype™ to andybaldwins

As you ask that question it reminds me of a moonless night that I tried to get into Colombier anchorage on the North of St Barts. The vessels in the anchorage had blinding lights on and I couldn't make out all the rock outcroppings that guarded the entrance. some moored boats were un lighted and mixed with mega yachts that were brightly lit. Had I departed at night, my arrival would have been during the day.
andybaldwins is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Caribbean, rib, sail, sailing