Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs
Re: Capsize vs Sinking Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
I know it goes against the spirit of it, but a more interesting question is:-
Why do monohulls sink so easily?
Because once they get water inside, they have a big lump of lead hanging there trying to drag them down?
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:00   #62

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelratinter View Post
I agree. Even though I now know that cows are the real killers.
the "unusual" ways people die get all of the attention. But more people die from the seemingly benign things they don't fear. Influenza will probably kill more people this year than capsize or sinking boats....did you get your flu shot?
Old 25-11-2016, 15:09   #63

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluebeard View Post
I know it goes against the spirit of it, but a more interesting question is:-
Why do monohulls sink so easily?
Its all about the HEAVY LEAD WEIGHT ATTACHED TO THE BOTTOM of a Mono.
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:29   #64

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Training Wheels View Post
YAAH!

I used to race on Corsairs and liked to hang over the windward ama and look under the boat. At speed with a good breeze, nothing but the dagger board and the leeward ama would be in the water!
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 15:33   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Dreaming View Post
the "unusual" ways people die get all of the attention. But more people die from the seemingly benign things they don't fear. Influenza will probably kill more people this year than capsize or sinking boats....did you get your flu shot?
Very few people actually die in cruising boats from capsize/sinking. Like both recent examples without even any serious injuries. Thus my curiosity about this phobic response some have to capsize.

I expect that way more die from adverse reactions to vaccines. The numbers that die from actual flu are staggering.

Yes, I got my flu shot.
Old 25-11-2016, 16:08   #66

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

For me, irrational fear goes away when there is something to do take charge of the situation. It is like a switch gets thrown, recognition of the emergency occcurs, and then, even with adrenalin surging, one just goes and does their best to cope with whatever it is. It is like there is no time to waste feeling one's fear. Fear is a trigger to action. If you let it freeze you, you're in dire trouble. Yes, gotta think through the situation, make choices, but never let yourself freeze.

Ann

On edit: as to my fear of drowning, it is irrational. I'm probably far more likely to die painfully in even older age, or get run over by a drunk driver. Based on other experience, I rather expect that when death is nigh, I'll feel acceptance, not fear.
Old 25-11-2016, 16:45   #67

Check the through hull keel bolts on a mono . If the keel comes off, the hull will capsize then sink , unless you get lucky😑
navy davy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2016, 18:05   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
For me, irrational fear goes away when there is something to do take charge of the situation. It is like a switch gets thrown, recognition of the emergency occcurs, and then, even with adrenalin surging, one just goes and does their best to cope with whatever it is. It is like there is no time to waste feeling one's fear. Fear is a trigger to action. If you let it freeze you, you're in dire trouble. Yes, gotta think through the situation, make choices, but never let yourself freeze.

Ann

On edit: as to my fear of drowning, it is irrational. I'm probably far more likely to die painfully in even older age, or get run over by a drunk driver. Based on other experience, I rather expect that when death is nigh, I'll feel acceptance, not fear.

“I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.”

― Frank Herbert, Dune
Old 26-11-2016, 01:55   #69

Boat: Allied Seawind 30

If concerned about sinking or a capsize, preventative measures can be taken, especially on older smaller fiberglass boats. We compartmented 95% of the hull below the waterline, adding structure in the event of collision, and bouyancy and isolations in the event of a flooding. All hatches and vents can be made watertight, even the companionway. All thru hulls can be isolated to individual watertight lockers. Details are below. All of these projects took about 6 months.

Brian

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2015/...-companionway/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2016/...ckpit-lockers/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2015/08/09/v-berth/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2016/...r-tank-part-2/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2015/08/09/vents/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2015/...forward-hatch/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2016/...t-sink-galley/

https://sailingdawntreader.com/2016/...ation-station/
DawnTreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 02:28   #70

Boat: Oyster 66

My boat was built with 5 watertight bulkheads. It should float even if the centre section flooded, so the risk of sinking from a hull breach is low. It is so easy to do, it is a shame it isn't done more often. I think I probably feel a little bit less fearful on my mono than I would on a light cat.

There are still plenty of risks though. Major collision, major grounding, gas explosion, structural failure, fire, piracy, septicaemia from a rotten tooth, sudden-onset-senility, and so on. They affect all boats.
poiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 03:19   #71

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Btw. There are monohulls designed with unsinkability around.

Etap from Belgium springs to mind.

Due to the fire risk I would still carry a raft...
Old 26-11-2016, 03:54   #72
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Capsize vs Sinking Fear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Btw. There are monohulls designed with unsinkability around.

Etap from Belgium springs to mind.

Due to the fire risk I would still carry a raft...
Many Sadler models were 'unsinkable' also.. another good builder eliminated by the production line.

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:10   #73

Boat: GibSea 472

I've seen multi in larges waves offshore, ant it seemed to me much less confortable. Sinking of a mono hull occurs in general because some big structural problem or hitting an underwater obstruction. As long as your boat is in good structural shape, you can relax... to a certain extend. What I don't like about multihulls is the fact that any combination of freak wave, squall, unseen brutal wind increase can, instantly transform a normal situation into a survival problem. So I will stick with mono...
Elie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:32   #74

Boat: Westerly Fulmar 32

This is kind of off topic but the sinking v capsize issue comes under 'possible death by just being alive', not one of the things that really scares me it's more of a 'cost of doing business' kind of thing, like a passenger plane crash... I still fly. What scares me is getting swept overboard and watching the boat sail away, there are a couple of books that mention it Foolish and Dashew have written about. Death by ones own stupidity and living long enough to realize it... Now that is terrifying...! Nightmares
Steven UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2016, 05:43   #75

I have a mono so of coarse " sinking " if I had a cat it would be " capsize "
sartorst is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
capsize, size