Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2015, 09:01   #46

Boat: So many boats to choose from. Would prefer something that is not an AWB, and that is beachable...
Re: Can you learn to sail on Cruiser's Forum?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fog Bank View Post
For sailing, like many other things, no substitute exists for hands on experience. Just my opinion.

Hands on experience is also more fun. And after all, you learn to sail to be able to go out on the water. For me being out there is the whole point.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
K_V_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:13   #47

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
Why not?
Same reason you would not tell you child who wants to learn how to ride a bike to just go take it in the street you'll get it. Lol

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:18   #48

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

I can see it now
Blog ok got sails up :thumbup:
Next blog ok wind is in the sails
Oh crap hurry up where the blog on how to stop from tilting
Oh double crap where's the blog for that triangle thing:what:
Great find the blog on how to get un stuck. Is that water:sly:

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 09:34   #49

Boat: Hallberg Rassy 35'

I've met a few pen pals on here, gotten some tips and advice, found links to helpful articles and tips, learned from others' experience... sailing life is much more than trimming sails. Thanks to those that have provided useful opinions and thanks to the others that have provided entertaining ridiculousity.
Old 13-02-2015, 09:40   #50

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

If someone is trying to learn to sail it won't happen here. Some good and some bad advice can be had but it won't happen without water under the keel. Or keels which are different sailing experiences.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 12:55   #51
CLOD

Boat: none

I've said this before, but what I've learned over the past 8 years going from 0 experience to having owned a 39' & 43' boat:

sailing is easy, but sailing well takes a little time to get
Old 13-02-2015, 13:28   #52

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Sailing, and even more so cruising, is both an intellectual and a physical activity. One could garner much of the intellectual part from the CF, but it is not possible to get ANY of the physical aspects without going sailing. Pretty silly to think otherwise...

And the interaction between these two aspects is really important, too, and again one gains that knowledge through experience, not through reading.

Oh... as a child I taught myself to ride a bike by just trying and trying until I got it. As an adult I taught myself to sail by reading a book during the week after a friend took me out in a daysailor, and then buying my own daysailor the next weekend and getting out on the water and trying out all those things I had read about. Re-read the book the next week and tried again... rinse and repeat... get more books... repeat, etc. I think that I could have done it without the books (far more mistakes, far slower progress) but I know that I could not have done it without the faithful O'Day Osprey.

Jim
Old 13-02-2015, 13:42   #53

Boat: O'Day DaySailer 16

Since I'm in the process of learning to sail, I can give my .02 cents. Forums are basically a Court of Public Opinion, you still and should make up your own mind on which course of action to take that best meets your needs and meets your idea of safety. As far as a learning aid, I'd say it can give you an idea of what other people see but you still must try it out yourself. Nothing beats pure experience to cement a concept in your mind.
mlucasparris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 14:02   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlucasparris View Post
Since I'm in the process of learning to sail, I can give my .02 cents. Forums are basically a Court of Public Opinion, you still and should make up your own mind on which course of action to take that best meets your needs and meets your idea of safety. As far as a learning aid, I'd say it can give you an idea of what other people see but you still must try it out yourself. Nothing beats pure experience to cement a concept in your mind.
I believe you have the right idea. Take every thing here with a grain of salt. Sail with someone else that has been there done that. It isn't a science it is a skill.
Old 13-02-2015, 14:25   #55

Boat: Bristol 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadence View Post
Sail with someone else that has been there done that. It isn't a science it is a skill.
Actually some folks don't need to sail with someone that has been there and done that.

Nothing wrong with that way but some folks learn better on their own.

I learned with this Point of Sail Chart, a couple books like Catamaran Sailing from start to finish by Phil Berman, Catamaran Sailing for the 90's, and then racing. Lots of racing as in 100's of races.

Racing as in being the Skipper (and making all the calls) not some clueless dude holding a sheet and being told when to pull it.

My early sailing was being out on the trapeze at high speeds. Learning to sail a heavy monohull should be even easier.

This chart gives you the basic idea to sail all points.

Point of Sail Chart:

https://www.google.com/search?q=poin...2F%3B700%3B866
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2015, 14:58   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
Actually some folks don't need to sail with someone that has been there and done that.

Nothing wrong with that way but some folks learn better on their own.

I learned with this Point of Sail Chart, a couple books like Catamaran Sailing from start to finish by Phil Berman, Catamaran Sailing for the 90's, and then racing. Lots of racing as in 100's of races.

Racing as in being the Skipper (and making all the calls) not some clueless dude holding a sheet and being told when to pull it.

My early sailing was being out on the trapeze at high speeds. Learning to sail a heavy monohull should be even easier.

This chart gives you the basic idea to sail all points.

Point of Sail Chart:

https://www.google.com/search?q=poin...2F%3B700%3B866
Grats to you. Having grown up on stink pots, I knew nav. etc.. Learned to sail by my self. If someone has no experience I would still recommend crewing, crewed with my old man for years Why does everyone need the ego trip of I have rather than what makes sense for the OP? Sorry if I am a crass old f#$%, It isn't about what I've done it is about helping the OP.
Old 13-02-2015, 15:19   #57

Quote:
Grats to you. Having grown up on stink pots, I knew nav. etc.. Learned to sail by my self. If someone has no experience I would still recommend crewing, crewed with my old man for years Why does everyone need the ego trip of I have rather than what makes sense for the OP? Sorry if I am a crass old f#$%, It isn't about what I've done it is about helping the OP.
You're not crass at all. I think you are rather nice.

Some folks don't like being bored by crewing and holding a line while some jackass wearing his sailor suit tries to become the next Dennis Conner.
Old 13-02-2015, 15:35   #58

Quote:

Some folks don't like being bored by crewing and holding a line while some jackass wearing his sailor suit tries to become the next Dennis Conner.
Thanks, probably more crass than nice. I just get tired of the "I" did, "I" have, "I", "I", "I".. An ego outlet for many it seems?
Old 13-02-2015, 15:45   #59

Quote:

PS, crew with a friend or make a friend that would like nothing better than a crew mate, I'll bet one could be found just walking a marina? Not some blow hard.
Old 13-02-2015, 15:59   #60

Quote:
Thanks, probably more crass than nice. I just get tired of the "I" did, "I" have, "I", "I", "I".. An ego outlet for many it seems?
That's just how some folks tell their story. I did it like this for example.

My point is we are all different. I didn't used to be a very good listener so I learned on my own.

And if you have a short attention span it is better to learn on your own with random help here and there from others.

The good thing about racing small boats is that you are protected. There are other boats about and the committee boat etc. Plus you learn a lot quite fast especially if YOU are the Skipper and not some dude holding a line.

Example: (hey, Jim I hope you are watching. I know how you enjoy these Beach Cat Racing Videos!)

Tags
cruise, cruiser, rum, sail