Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Our Community
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2019, 08:37   #46

Boat: Small yellow rubber ducky
Re: $25,000 wedding ring dropped off dock

Maybe she was slipping it back on before heading home after a Krazy Weekend with a friend.
taxwizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:21   #47

Boat: Lancer 30, Little Jumps

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSH View Post

I am not sure how you can lose a ring when you're on dry land (they can and do fall off when you're in cold water) unless you're being really careless.
A very longgg time ago, when first married, my wife and I dug up our front lawn and put down sod. Finished late that night and washing up she realized her engagement ring was missing. Was motivated as there would be no rest
until ring was found that night. Sifted thru about 3 or 4 inches of topsoil and rolled up just about all the sod before finding ring.
Sure glad I did not have to do underwater!
hugosalt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 09:29   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
Maybe she didn't lose it on the dock? Maybe she was having an affair and lost it where she shouldn't have been, and this was a convenient cover story? Just sayin?
That was my first thought too. A few red flags. "Maybe fell off ...", "Don't need it back ...", "Insured ...", etc. In fact, both could be involved. When times get tough ($$$), what's easiest to pawn/sell? Or maybe not even that. Maybe it's still sitting in a nice little case in the back of the drawer, or ...

Before I would buy a detector or dive in, I'd sit down with her, and after a few glasses of nice wine say "Hey, by the way, we're close friends. Did you really lose that ring? Tell me the true story, I won't tell a soul ... promise. Just between you and me."
PortClydeMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 11:29   #49

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

^ This one....
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-07-2019, 17:34   #50
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Take it from someone who has spent many hours underwater looking for lost items; if she can't pinpoint where the ring was lost, you may have a very tough time finding it, metal detector or no. It's a crap shoot in the best of circumstances but considering it is unlikely she can tell you where (or even if) it went in, the length of time it has been there and in the case of a mud or silt bottom, you might spend days or longer scanning the area and still come up empty handed.

Or maybe you'll get lucky and jump in right on top of it. That happens too. Like I said, it's a crap shoot.

And BTW, to those who are advocating the cover story theory- I can't tell you how many times I've been asked to recover items the owners of which weren't even sure had gone into the water. Very common. One time I was called by an ex-CFL football player. He thought he had lost his championship ring off the dock at the drystack marina where he kept his boat. He knew it was gone and thought it may have fallen off while he was tying up his boat but never heard it hit the water. Even so, I was the second of three divers he hired to look for it. To my knowledge it was never found. But all three of the divers got paid, I can tell you that much.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2019, 10:29   #51

Boat: Land bound, previously Morgan 462

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Mason View Post
That's funny. About 2 weeks ago my wife emptied the coffee basket over the edge at the marina, along with the basket. I waited until lowest tide, 8', got my mask on and could see the basket. Wired 2 boat poles together and tied a kitchen pot on the end and was able to scoop it up. Any amount of tide change and silt likely would have covered it over sooner than later. Reminded me of cruising Mexico, my cat jumped off te boat, but was leashed, so he managed to hook all the grills from my Sea B Que drying, and on off they went sailing through the water. Dropped a weight on a line for guidance, and over 3 days was able to retrieve all 4, by braille. In both cases, I knew exactly where they were. Ring hunting? Bueno suerte!
So I hope you got the cat back too?
waterman46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-08-2019, 10:16   #52

Boat: Beneteau

The biggest issue is how much the thing is actually worth given the arbitrary pricing of this stuff. It's only worth that to the store and the insurance company.
nortonscove is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dock