Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2012, 14:02   #1

Boat: Beneteau 40 CC
Talk about lucky

My experience is a situation where I had to rely heavily on the broker and surveyor. Quite a risk I guess especially when you are on the other side of the globe. I live in New Zealand but was wanting a yacht that I could cruise the Med with. I decided a Beneteau 36 cc would be a great boat as it was sea worthy enough for the med, a comfortable live aboard and easily handled short handed. It was also in my budget of around 100k USD. To any body buying their first yacht, that would be my main advice...Decide what yacht will best suit your needs and then only look at that yacht. That's what I did and it has worked well. Except, I didn't buy a 36 cc, much to my delight I now have a 40cc and managed it within budget. One of my favourite brokerage sites is boatshed. They had several 36cc at different times listed in Europe an the uk. But I came across a 40cc listed in the BVI. It was a charter boat...shock horror. But the thing is you can buy a sound yacht in the carribbean, refit it with all the gear you want, tidy anything up that needs it and still save a bundle compared to buying an equivalent yacht in Europe, Australia or New Zealand. So, taking a leap of faith I negotiated Auroras purchase with Laura at BVI yacht charters by email subject to survey and personal inspection. I organised to visit BVI for 3 days to inspect the boat and attend the survey. The boat was in better condition than I expected for a charter boat. Probably due to the design which favours couples or family charters. Geoff the surveyor was professional and very experienced. The survey turned up a number of things but nothing major. I was able to negoiate these repairs be done by the owner and Geoff checked them for me prior to settlement. So all up it worked out extremely well. The kiwi sailor owns a French yacht ex carribbean that he will use in Europe. Who said Kiwis can't fly!

Timing wise this all happened about 18 months earlier than planned, but not a problem as I was able to extend the charter contract for 12 months. So now with Aurora coming out of charter, I will be using her for a few seasons to circumnavigate the carribbean and then cross the Atlantic to the med. There is another bonus though...I will become a far better sailor. With the prospect of an Atlantic crossing, I have decided I will complete a yacht masters. I'll be spending a few months at the Hamble sailing school this northern summer doing that.

So that's my yacht purchase story in a nut shell.
cprebble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2012, 14:25   #2

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22
Re: Talk about lucky

Saa-weet.....Congrats.