Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-10-2019, 07:13   #31

Boat: Corbin 39, hull #145
Re: So my neighbor hit me. How do I assure everything is fixed like it never happened

I had a nearly identical incident while moored at the boatyard dock awaiting winter haul-out back in 2016.
A new owner of a motorboat, inexperienced, panicked on the throttles as he attempted to dock alongside my Corbin 39.
I wasn't aboard at the time but several people contacted me about the incident.
The owner never contacted me. He was "surprised" when I contacted him.
He forwarded a claim number from his insurance company 30 minutes after I hung up with him.
You cannot be a passive individual in these situations.
Make sure all insurance companies involved understand you damage/loss.
You have to become your own agent and project manager.
Communication and follow-up are key.
Hire your own surveyor if you are not satisfied with the one sent out by the insurance company.
I had an excellent outcome, but it took a lot of effort to make sure everything met my expectations.
No screaming and yelling involved, but I did make sure that I let them know that I was well versed in my boat's construction, proper repair procedures, reinforcements, resin systems, compatibility of two component finishes (original vs. new) etc.
Luff Shack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 07:26   #32

Re: So my neighbor hit me. How do I assure everything is fixed like it never happened

As for damage hidden behind structures, you can use a bore scope to take a look. They are cheap lately and your yard will likely have one. There are bore scopes that work through a smart phone and may let you video what you see.
jmorrison146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 07:32   #33

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex Delay View Post
Reading the original post I was thinking I wrote it! Same happened to me July 20. I called my insurance company and they declared that I was in no way at fault so no deductible and no limit. Told me to take it anywhere I chose and get it fixed. I was no longer confident in it's seaworthiness so they had it towed to Blackline in Sidney where they removed the interior to inspect for damage! Was there yesterday and It is still apart! In the end - Bent shaft (the engine jumped on impact as I had the motor mounts undone to do alignment that morning), hull/deck joint compromised, toe rail bent, rub rail damaged, new lifelines damaged, rigging damage. Orders from insurance to Blackline "fix it". We are boatless right now but it will be as good as new when we get it back.

and no limit?? 20 years in Insurance and have never seen any policy with "no limit" coverage. Perhaps you were just lucky to have gotten hit by someone with a large coverage amount.
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 07:39   #34

With delamination, I suggest that the outside of the boat will need to be sanded away until ALL the damaged glass is removed. Patches in GRP should be as strong as original. The trick is getting a perfect colour match in the topcoat. If the damage is along the sheer, deck delam' is also likely.
All in all, I would run with the "fly a Beneteau guy in"
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 08:25   #35

You aren’t going to fix this yourself. Find a yard that’s up to the repair. Ask around for the best yard. It may be quite a ways away. Choosing the right yard is the most important move right now on your part.

Go talk to them. They will come look at the boat. Insurance jobs are good business. The adjuster is going to work from their estimate. And the yard will have to stand behind the repair. It’s likely to be a big number.

Call the insurance company. Since there is likely structural damage, they will want it hauled. Insist that happen at your chosen yard. Don’t move the boat or let anyone touch it until the insurance compamy OK’s it.

Since it was not your fault, your insurance company will collect from his insurance company. They have no incentive to cut corners or screw you. They will want the job done right. Suggest they have Beneteau send someone. Since the other guy is paying, they will agree. Document every conversation with the insurance company and yard by sending a followup email to both.

Unfortunately, there’s a real risk that they will total the boat. Structural damage often costs more than origionally expected because hidden things emerge during repairs. Insurance companies know this.

It will be best if you have an agreed value policy but even this won’t capture any major improvements you made. In most cases, you can buy the totaled boat from the insurance company. By then, you will know enough to decide if this is a good idea. But lot’s of good Beneteau’s on the market.

Unfortunarely, this is a really bad piece of luck that could happen to any boat owner. It’s a shame.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 09:29   #36

I had this happen to me a couple of years ago.
The owner of the boat that hit me and I called his insurance company together filing a claim.
The little scratch turned out to be a $1000 repair that his insurance company paid for.
I learned from the harbor master who was the best guy for the job..it happens more often than you think..and his insurance company agreed to have the best guy complete the work.
That's what the guys insurance is for!
beneteau40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 10:59   #37

Boat: PDQ Capella 36

Insurance companies shoot for “better than new”. With a boat this is feasible. I have found when making a claim that insurance companies are the easiest to deal with, and a Yard that wants to keep the insurance repair business will bend over to do it right.

If you were hit outboard of the nav station, That crunching could be your nav station getting partly dislodged. It can fall off next time you’re heeled over.

Call insurance and buckle up for a ride. Hope the season is over where you are
Svan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 12:01   #38

Boat: Rafiki 37

Happened to me too - sports fishing boat that was in the dock next to me hit me repeatedly bending a stanchion and taking small chunks out of the fibreglass on the corner of the stern. I wasn't on board at the time so I don't know how bad the impact was

Unfortunately, the guy threatened me and my boat when I tried to file a claim against him and as I was a liveaboard and had everything I own on board and he wasn't (he was from Alberta working and living in the oil patch and just flew down to BC to go fishing a couple of weeks a year) I had a lot more to lose than he did, especially as the marina washed their hands of it

Definitely go through the insurance company, since it wasn't your fault they will be on your side
Old 21-10-2019, 12:27   #39
sdj
cruiser

Boat: Ganley Pacemaker 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
He seems like a decent guy and basically said whatever it takes to make it right type stuff. I tried to reassure him that accidents happen and not to beat himself up about it.
Yes, thats the name of the game.

You about to get done like a dinner.
sdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-10-2019, 16:20   #40

Boat: S&S 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by docrn View Post
The guy tied up next to me (new 35ft Powerboat) panicked while leaving the dock yesterday (several witnesses).

I was standing in the cockpit of my B393 when I noticed he was drifting closer to our side of the slip. Just as I was about to help fend him off he went full throttle kicked the back of his boat towards us side swiping us hard then nearly went aground before going full reverse, full forward, and reverse again.

Luckily no one was hurt. He seems like a decent guy and basically said whatever it takes to make it right type stuff. I tried to reassure him that accidents happen and not to beat himself up about it.

So now, here I am now trying to figure out how much of my vacation I’m going to burn dealing with this. The damage is what I’d consider moderate as he didn’t puncture a hole in my boat but I did watch the hull flex inward at least a couple of inches and heard some horrible crunching sounds when it happened. After taking a few minutes to grasp what had just occurred I went down below and checked for water in the bilge. Everything was dry but I could see on the inside of the sides of the hull where the Fiberglas fibers had split away from each other behind my electrical panel. I have no idea if there is more damage that I can’t see behind the bulkheads and cabinets. Also my aluminum toe rail is bent and has a deep gouge as well as some more deep gouges and scratches on the hull.

I am very untrusting of insurance companies and honestly yards too. I am extremely particular about my boat and I’m meticulous about its maintenance and appearance (and it shows). I’m also very concerned about structural damage to the hull and the hull-deck joint as well. Planning to take the boat to Hawaii and of course, in my mind, there is zero room for compromise. I want this to be like it never happened. I don’t want mismatched gel coat and a boat buffed and waxed on one side but not the other. I have no idea how they are going to inspect behind the nave station and cabinets for damage as there is very little access to those areas.

Can anyone please advise how to not get screwed by all the parties involved in this? Is there a way to find and repair the damage we might not be able to see?
Only way to asess the damage is by dismantling the cabinets and whatever lining there is. There realy is no way around it if you want to make sure of the extend.
In the first instance the repairer surely can form an opinion by a visual inspection of the damage from the outside before ripping things apart.
You can get a number of estimates from different repairers.
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 05:30   #41

Boat: Gulfstar 41

I was hit by schooner during a hurricane several years ago; he dragged his mooring and spent the night against my hull, breaking several stanchions, destroying the toe rail, and bending my bow pulpit and anchor roller. I obtained an estimate from a good yard and had it ready when the other guy's insurance (Boat-US) surveyor arrived. He agreed with the estimate and my boat was repaired perfectly and for the agreed price. The insurance company paid promptly and fully. Frankly, I was both surprised and pleased, but it couldn't have been easier or more fair.
lewisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-10-2019, 13:25   #42

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisa View Post
I was hit by schooner during a hurricane several years ago; he dragged his mooring and spent the night against my hull, breaking several stanchions, destroying the toe rail, and bending my bow pulpit and anchor roller. I obtained an estimate from a good yard and had it ready when the other guy's insurance (Boat-US) surveyor arrived. He agreed with the estimate and my boat was repaired perfectly and for the agreed price. The insurance company paid promptly and fully. Frankly, I was both surprised and pleased, but it couldn't have been easier or more fair.
Thanks for mentioning this, I hope docrn comes back and sees it. He sounded like he's really taken some sad stories to heart, and it may not be nearly so bad as he's concerned about to deal with the insurance company.

Ann
Old 24-10-2019, 04:28   #43

Boat: 1990 Catalina 30 Tall Rig

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingfin View Post
Fly a Beneteau QC guy in from their factory in South Carolina!

I read numerous replies to your question, but not all, so apologies if this is somewhat of a repeat.

Here’s a summary of my take - details follow. Flying Fin’s idea is actually a great one. My example is different circumstances, but I think has merit. I would definitely give Beneteau a call. I think any info the would provide would be invaluable.

A close friend has a Beneteau 31(?). I believe it’s about 10 - 12 years old. Two years ago while sailing the starboard deck to hull joint parted by the shrouds. Long story short, Beneteau flew a craftsman to Green Bay and repaired it, no charge. If the guy needed a part, it was overnight mailed. Completely redid the deck-hull seam on that side of boat (may have also looked at port side joint also).

While Beneteau services likely won’t be gratis in this case, my point is this: Like you, I am particular about who works on my boat (so far, only me except highly recommended engine mechanic). If your incident happened to me, I’d probably be freaking out with similar concerns. Especially with parted fiberglass as you described.

I hope your boat gets repaired to your full satisfaction, and have a terrific trip to Hawaii! (Unfortunately, unlike you, I not located such that I can sail to Hawaii!! [emoji3]). Fair, steady winds, smooth seas and safe travels! [emoji3][emoji1303]
George Da Porge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2019, 05:07   #44

Re: Deck seam parting: I wonder if the shrouds were attached just to the deck. That, IMO, is not a satisfactory scheme from the start. Shroud plates should be secured to a strengthened apart of the hull or strong bulkhead.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote