Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2010, 12:06   #16
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Dave...
How many times do I have to dig for you to post all those links up again.... or point Simon in the direction of the thread that covered all this in the Spring.. we went through all this then....
Jeez... you're hard work sometimes..... its like drawing teeth...lol

Simon, check out Gib registration... you've probably seen lots of them in the Med... and you still fly the 'Duster' used to be 'London' under the name on the stern... as opposed to 'Port of London' which is the UK one

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:17   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Dave...
How many times do I have to dig for you to post all those links up again.... or point Simon in the direction of the thread that covered all this in the Spring.. we went through all this then....
Jeez... you're hard work sometimes..... its like drawing teeth...lol
Sorry Boatman, youve lost me, Are you looking for VAT links, see UK HM revenue site for loads on boats. Theres no need to point Simon to any links, as a UK resident he has to pay VAT ( and forget all the nonsense about wrapping up in corporate structure etc).

I used to be in Boat import in a small way,I know the rules.

Quote:
Simon, check out Gib registration... you've probably seen lots of them in the Med... and you still fly the 'Duster' used to be 'London' under the name on the stern... as opposed to 'Port of London' which is the UK one
Unless he is a Gib or Channell Isles resident , in no way does this avoid the VAT issue boatman, come-on you know all this.

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 08:57   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

Dave... hope you don't mind the use of your name... your handles to long..
The thing is Simon has no intention of taking the boat back to the UK... he just wants to buy and the explore the Med for a year or so then 'voyage' to the Carib etc.. so therefore why should he pay VAT on a secondhand boat thats not going to be kept permanantly in EU waters...
If he decides not to voyage then do as I did and take up residency in Portugal to take advantage of the Azores rates...
However if he buys in the US, I'd suggest he sails down to the Islands and registers in Anguila... one does not have to be 'Resident'... its a flag of 'convinience', a lot lot cheaper and he can voyage West from there.... then sort out the VAT/CE if/when he makes it round..
What is the law and what can be got away with a two different things... loopholes are everywhere... they're built in if truth be known for people not 'restricted' to work with...
The Law Makers factor in there's one law for the masses and loopholes for the 'Few' (Themselves)... just gotta look.

Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
Old 26-12-2010, 09:06   #19
Nearly an old salt

Becuase Boatman, Firstly youre scenario means perfect sense as long as one is not a UK tax resident, which the OP seems to be. Hence VAT law does not allow him any such time to explore the Med, unless you mean that such exporation never visits any EU tax regions ( or theorectically sails in their seas). The mnute he sails into a EU port , VAT is either due or must be shown to be the preserve of the owners country.

It doesnt matter where you regiester the vessel, its the tax status of the "beneficial owner" that matters. The Med customs, in particular France, spain, italy and Greece are well aware that, inparticular there are UK VAT free registrations and seem to make it a point, where they do examine the paperwork, to look for VAT documentation.

Sure you may sail teh MED and never get caught, I personally have never been asked for VAT documentation, but that doesnt mean it will not happen. I watched French Customs board a UK motoboat near Cap Ferat last year and it wasnt pretty. ( the Uk boat was the only boat they boarded in the whole anchorage).

Quote:
If he decides not to voyage then do as I did and take up residency in Portugal to take advantage of the Azores rates...
Really these is nonsensical informtion, residency is a whole different topic and has far more implications then boats. ALso UK Hm Revenue have very strict and wide ranging rules at to what defines not being a UK tax resident. The whole issue of TOR ( tranfer of residence) is beyond this topic and while yes you could use it to get access to any VAT rate, is anyone going to go that far to say a few bob.

In theory he could take up residency in teh US ( if he could) and then TOR the boat into the EU VAT free. But........

Dave

ps
Quote:
Dave... hope you don't mind the use of your name... your handles to long..
no problem thats why I put my name in, also many use GBN
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2010, 09:44   #20
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate

OK Dave...I give in...
As asked of me once when I applied for a 6mth contract back in the 70's.... "Chippie or Chancer"..... I replied "Chancer".... I got the job... and stayed the contract...
I've been a Chancer all my life and it carries into my personal sailing style/voyaging on my boats as well... as some may have noticed.. solo crossings in boats others would condemn.. but I'm also the last hope for folks who've had the 'Yachtmasters' walk away because boats are 'under spec'
Boats I sail belonging to others come under 'Must be Legally Compliant'... thats called survival instinct....
I throw out possibilities and leave it to you guys to say what MUST BE DONE according to the law... in the end its down to the OP to weigh the pro's and con's and make his choice...
We both survive happily in our different ways... I've never been asked for VAT status either... except by a Yard Broker...
No disrespect too you, or your way is intended by me.. its 'your way'... and comfortable for the vast majority of others as well... despite their complaints to the contrary... else they would not do it and the system would collapse through sheer weight of numbers.
Now I suppose there'll be posts accusing me of undermining civilisation and sponging... but I've been a travelling 'independent' for years now...
"Where there's the will, there's always a way"

For anyone curious... a Chippie is a Carpenter

Old 26-12-2010, 10:08   #21

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"
Okay then, erm, maybe i'll stick to Europe lol!

Thanks for the input guys, maybe this shows why indeed there arn't loads of cheap US boats being brought over here to be sold. It can be done but can be a PITA as well by the looks of it.
Old 27-12-2010, 04:24   #22
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonmd
Okay then, erm, maybe i'll stick to Europe lol!

Thanks for the input guys, maybe this shows why indeed there arn't loads of cheap US boats being brought over here to be sold. It can be done but can be a PITA as well by the looks of it.
Yeah that's the truth of it

Dave