Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2019, 14:49   #1

Insurance issues

Howdy guys

So I got me old boat into my name, paid up in full, captain arranged to bring her home, boat us tow insurance and marina slip secured... all seemed to be going good... until I started getting declined for liability insurance.

Now my drivers, criminal and financial backgrounds are all clean or superb... the reason I'm getting denied is because of lack of experience and size of the boat.

Does anyone have any insurers that are newbie friendly? I will be using a qualified captain to captain my boat while I learn, but since I lack a name as of right now as to who that will be for the long term.. i get denied.

I'm sure a work around exists, but I'm at a loss and to excarberate the issue I lack a US mailing address.. so some insurers are off limits that way lol (currently asking a friend if he has one or can set one up that I pay for in case canadian insurers fail me.)

Any help chaps?
RR
TheRailRoader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 15:15   #2

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi
Re: Insurance issues

Find an instructor that is local. Make sure they have some kind of official licence behind them. Then check if insurance will accept their endorsement.
I would recommend Coopers boating. They have 3 locations in and around Vancouver. I believe they are now ispa certifications.
Have them do the lessons on your boat and some kind of cert (day skipper, coastal), whatever makes insurance happy.
It also allows you to get familiar with your boat quicker and easier.
Congrats on the purchase by the way! What did you get?
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2019, 15:24   #3

I managed to pick up a Valiant 40, needs a touch of work, but a solid rig to learn on

Aye, I have thought of that. I just feel disingenuous if I go that route, because I likely may not have significant time to do a course and get a qualification until september. So getting this endorsement and not using it for x amount of months.. just seems dishonest to me.

It amazed me the price differences between learning on my own boat vs one of theirs. Let's just say, the price difference really helps offsets the cost of ownership lol.

I guess if I run out of options I will go that route. But trying to be as straight laced as I can be.
Old 22-03-2019, 16:32   #4

Okay seems like I may get approved through Boat Smart assure lol

Maybe the stress level will go back down haha

Tags
insurance