Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2011, 09:34   #16
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41
Re: Inflation is Here

i was advised by a financier-international level- that we have experienced 25 percent inflation during the time we have been told there has been no inflation..LOL.... have fun. in foods-- sizes of portions sold has diminished by approx 25 percent, so that goes with the financier i heard speaking. officially , of course, thare is NO inflation, as that is how the justification is made to curtail ssi and ssdi raises for the 2-3 percent given for cost of living adjustment---LOL..... never pay retail....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 09:46   #17

Boat: Baba 30
Re: Inflation Is Here

If you can stay out of West Marine you will save a fortune. We use Defender or Jamestown Distributors. Yes you have to order via phone or internet and have to have it shipped. But we have saved tons of $$$ and have had better quality items from them as well.
kiper204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 09:57   #18
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

defender, bacons, minneys, ebay... all work wonders for inexpesnsive goods for our boats without the pain and suffering of the lack of consistency in wm and their highly educated and most knowledgeable boating staff...rofl--was hard to not choke on htat, as i am aware of the ineptitude of the staff on a first hand level. i prefer to buy th ewrong product online rather than in ooerson-- takes just as much money to resend to the company sending the wrong thing as it does to drive to the worst marine store to exhchange it.
as for their 4 percent discount--AFTER they raise the price to sell higher to ye- thankyou NO--i will take my RIGHTEOUS discount from my chandler and run with it. down wind marine-- the cruisers friend. goood place. i enjoy having a REAL alternative to the situation i met in the wm stores i have seen here.

ok so much for that--in sd there is no such thing as a good wm store-- in ft myers fla, we found a decent one. in slidell louisianna i found a decent one-- but ace hardware still beats wm on many fronts.
we did have decent assistance in other places at wm, but the prices are mortifying.....their standsrd issue size 41 bow light, bicolored, lasts EXACTLY 3 months in cruising conditions before it corrodes into non function. yes they DO issue replacements under warrantee.... we were fortunate we were advised as to the nonfunction by a shrimper posing as a tug n tow in gulf about 100 mi off shore-- said he couldnt see our lights---he could see the light i shined on the main sail but not which way we were progressing, per his conversation with helmsperson at the time.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 10:20   #19

Boat: 1977 shannon 38 cutter

I do most of my shopping online, but sometimes go to West with my get out of jail free pass ( print out of posted price on the net ), They always honor it and I wak out of the store with what I want... NOW. I live in NY state so the tax is usually more than I would pay in shipping, but if it's something I need to keep a project moving along it is worth it to me. I also like to spread some of the money around locally.
starchaser 2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2011, 10:53   #20

Boat: Moody 42
The WM store here in Kemah is very helpful with some very knowledgeable staff and always willing to match Defender pricing. They stand behind their products and offer me advice and excellent service. Recently they loaned me a cable cutter overnight to complete a project. I feel it's good to support the companies that have local outlet. They are right here when I need a couple of screws to fix something.
Sailorman375 is offline   Reply With Quote