Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-12-2009, 07:20   #16

Boat: 1978 Newport 30 Mk II
Onestepcsy37 has a great point. A person can literally spend years sailing the St Johns River (200 miles of great anchoring, fishing) and a 27 footer would be perfect. The river is free to explore and there are hardly any "rules". Just have a holding tank or Lectra San and five hundred bucks a month could keep a boat's crew happy, indeed!

Can you tell that I love this river???
wildebeest3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 09:24   #17
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildebeest3 View Post
Onestepcsy37 has a great point. A person can literally spend years sailing the St Johns River (200 miles of great anchoring, fishing) and a 27 footer would be perfect. The river is free to explore and there are hardly any "rules". Just have a holding tank or Lectra San and five hundred bucks a month could keep a boat's crew happy, indeed!

Can you tell that I love this river???
I have been on the St. Johns for nearly 6 years now. This is not a place to stay, and live on the hook. It gets cold. I right now have 2 heaters on. Not being able to see the bottom until you get to Mayport, and even then it's cloudy. I wouldn't eat anything coming out of the river either.

Don't get me wrong. I like the area, except maybe 8 weeks of humid heat. I like the people, but to retire, and live on the river....I think not. Might as well go to the Bahamas, and live on the hook. At least it's warmer, and the water is clear.

A family of 4 can live in a decent neighborhood. Have a maid, and wash lady. Live a comfortable life in the Philippines. Can you imagine how cheap it is to live on your boat? 7,107 islands that's mostly unpopulated. Can you imagine just how close your next anchorage is? Can you imagine how long it would take to see it all? Probably several lifetimes.

Not to mention if you want companionship. You could be living quite comfortably, and safely too. You can always sail to the most southern islands to get out of the typhoon zone. Then head back north if your curiousity hits you to do so after typhoon season. Hey they even have Mac Donalds if you need an American fix.

If you take into consideration that you are travelling via sailboat. The world is still a big place with unspoiled places. You just have to get off the beaten path, and THINK OUT OF THE BOX.

I don't remember what your sailing skills are, but you need to hone them, and be ready for anything. The &'s are against you if you don't have the skills. BEST WISHES in simplifying your life, and finding the place to do it........i2f

P.S.

Being a teacher is a huge plus in the Phils. You could actually find work there too if needed.
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 09:43   #18

Boat: McGregor venture 15 "IMP"
Check out the book, "sailing on a micro budget" here.
Amazon.com: Sailing on a Micro-Budget (9780671552152): Larry Brown: Books.
Of course, I recognize the irony of telling someone on a budget to buy a book. It is a big advocate of the go small, go now idea. Definitely leans to smaller trailer sailors than big cruisers. Just a thought,
Spencer
Old 27-12-2009, 09:57   #19

one person on a 27 footer ~$16.50 per day ought to be able to have a good, but frugal time. Mexico, DR, etc.. maybe turn it around.... where in the States is he going to live for even twice that if he doesnt go?
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2009, 13:14   #20

Boat: Careel 22
pirate Seems to me like seamen/women never change

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
In fact you could set up quite a profitable little business there. Several cases of real Russian Vodka and beluga caviar to West Germany, Duty free Irish Whiskey from West Germany to Norway, Smoked Salmon from Norway back to Russia for the Neauvou elite You wouldn't need to kick the arse out of it, just fill the forepeak.

For the winter cruise again Norway smoked Salmon down to France and Spain, Scottish Whisky for the Arabs in North Africa to pay for your winter moorings. Dates from North Africa back to the Paris and London markets.

Pete
Pete has the right idea here...Put my name down for a couple of boxes of Irish Whisky, Bush Mills Black Bush Delivering it down to Oz will bring you into the warm weather
With an income of around $1500AU PM and around $147,000AU in the bank, (boat bought and paid for in full) I was informed that I could not afford to own my dream! (A bloody big old Tri) But "my" dream way of life may not be "your" dream way of life! Thank God we humans are not all the same, we all have different needs in life. If you believe you can do it...Go for it! Don't let "anyone" wreck your dreams!
Remember...Where there's a will there's a way and as an English teacher you "should" have no problem finding work in non English speaking countries...If you do find it hard to find a bit of work...You can always revert to plan A, (Pete's plan )

Good luck mate...Go for it!

Bill
Old 28-12-2009, 07:21   #21

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trebek1 View Post
Pete, Your going to make a smuggler out of me! You seem to know quite a bit on the subject...hehehe..
One of the advantages of living in the United States of Europe is that each country had different tax and duty regimes. Since they are actually quite close together the knack was knowing what to move where. Sadly the advantages are slowly being erroded as EEC tries to harmonise any useful breaks we could enjoy however there are a few legitimate ones still left. Believe it or not the 1949 NATO Forces Act still applies in Europe and gives US and UK service personnel some interesting options on tax free new cars (and boats) much to the displeasure of Customs and Excise who wanted me to pay the import duty. They held me until every other person had exited from the ferry before finally agreeing that I was quite within my rights and no tax was due.

We too will be off long term cruising in a couple of years and a limited budget, so yes small boat suitable for 2. 40 - 45 feet would be very nice, but realistically 31 feet more affordable and means we go sooner rather than spend years paying off a bigger boat. Mooring fees and maintenance costs are also hopefully reduced making up for the lack of space, but warm weather means the deck becomes your verandah

Billau, I have a half bottle of 15 year old Bush for special occasions. The Royal Irish Regiment laid down a barrel to mature for the Y2K Millenium celebrations and I was lucky enough to serve with them at the time, but it was only one bottle each.

Oh yes there is a demand for anyone who can teach English, indeed we have a dedicated qualification for such individuals if you are not already a qualified teacher.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 10:06   #22

Hey Pete;

I am a qualified teacher, in the subjects of History, Art, and ESL; so finding a long term or temp job wouldn't be too tough in Asia, Mexico, Turkey, certain Arab places... New Zealand will hire American teachers, especially for their "Pasifica" and "Moari" populations.

I recommend that you go small and go now as they say. Many couples are out there in 24 - 28 foot boats, 32 feet seems like plenty of space for a couple. Sail and anchor management would be much easier ect...

But that would mean less open space in the cargo hold for smuggling.....

Seriously, I could see smuggling (I prefer the term "bartering") fish hooks, t-shirts, antibiotic cream, cheap chinese electronics, to some of the Pacific islands (avoiding the silly French islands of course), in return for wood and stone carvings, shells, ect.; which would be shipped back to the States to my mums house for storage. Put the good stuff in Art Galleries, hock the rest of the stuff on Ebay and flea markets.

This is an example of nearly legal bartering. Of course, I could do far better, bartering my home made wine and tobacco to the locals, but that wouldnt be cool.

Damn, I already need a bigger boat! Thanks alot Pete!!
Trebek1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 12:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vancouver 27
Hi Pete
My boat a Vancouver 27 was circumnavigated 1990 to 93 single handed by Rona House, so you can go most places on a small boat.
Check out Annie Hill's book, Voyaging on a small income, they built there own Dory style boat Junk rigged and lived on very cheap foods (Beans etc) and local produce.
Amazon.com: Voyaging On A Small Income (9781888671377): Annie Hill: Books
Go for it and try to stick to your budget, if you find the money runs out a little sooner then at least you have made a good start.
I recon the south pacific sounds great, there are some great and really cheap places in europe. Go for it just make sure you get a sound boat.
Cheers Jamie
Old 28-12-2009, 13:08   #24
cruiser

$500 a month is a huge pile of money for cruising in areas where people live on $2 a day. Saying it is not enough, in areas where the locals have so little, seems a bit arrogant. Learn from them.
Some places have high fees for cruisers. Avoid them.
Brent Swain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 21:59   #25

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Are you suggesting that those locals would be maintaining a sail boat that is suitable for SAFE cruising......
Also they have local support in the way of extended family that provide other resources to supplement the $2 a day.....food from the garden, a chicken once and a while...shelter.....
I don’t really think its an apples for apples comparison.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 22:12   #26

Damn, how did the noble sport of smuggling suddenly get sht-canned o'er all these suppositions.... I think that person with a chicken would trade a few fishhooks for it, or at least one chinese radio with a couple batteries.
Old 28-12-2009, 22:13   #27

Boat: Looking for a new boat
I hear Somalia is very nice this time of year.

Just kidding.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2009, 23:53   #28

"James
S/V Arctic Lady"

And when you find yourself in the Arctic, you can barter all kinds of d^D's and stuff for narwhal horns and chit. This is why one should cruise my friend!
Old 29-12-2009, 00:26   #29

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
If I find myself in the Arctic, I've taken a wrong turn someplace!
But yes, you are right about barter.....and smuggling....er..I meant to say the "import/export" business.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-12-2009, 00:54   #30

Why discount the Arctic my friend, lots of nice things to see up there.