Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Dollars & Cents
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-07-2008, 23:36   #1

Smile first hello all, now help please looking for my dad's first dream boat*

So my dad is turning 52 august 12 and he gave me a quest look for a boat or in his own words "I want either a good jet ski for 2-3k or a pair for 4-5k but I really want a good boat that's 6-8k" now:

· Is he going to use it constantly no,
· Does it have to fit in a garage no
· Do I think I’ll get to open sea not a chance (too dangerous or at least more than in a lake I guess),
· At some point I’ll have to fit 12 people but in a very rare occasion most of the time 6 passengers
· Is the budget fixed not really, if I show something he really like he might go up the ladder
· does he care what kind of boat it is, not really I guess as long as it’s fun for the family and he's proud of owning it and
· Basically it has to "work" before he leaves (coming to L.A., CA in 8/3-16) for him to enjoy

Sorry if the post is a mess but I’m so happy I found such a great forum I see how everyone helps each other here like the first forum I got into Beginnerbikers.org
PD: if you want to know why my dad gave me such a difficult task let’s say I had *luck to get my first motorcycle Honda vlx 600 2003 more on that story here if you're interested ;P Help choosing a good beginner (for life) cruiser motorcycle? - Beginnerbikers.org
cubajean10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 01:00   #2

Talking WHAT DO YOU THINK :D love ebay.com and oodle.com

so after hours of browsing i found this boat
http://www.surfbeanies.com/cal.htm
Sequoya: 1970 Cal 29: 8900$
what do you guys think? remember i'm a newb

description:
I have to sell my beautiful Cal, as I am joining the U.S. Coast Gaurds. It is a great boat that i was planning on going to Hawaii in, but that will have to wait. It is hull #86 of the Cal 29 by Jensen Marine. This boat participated in several Newport to Ensenada races. It has an upgraded engine (Yanmar 15 Hp diesel instead of Atomic 4 gasoline) and a Flex-fold prop. It has a relatively new Schaeffer furler, a new mainsail track system, a new mainsail, a Fatty Knees hard dinghy on davits on the foredeck, new DC wiring, new Suunto compass, New Horizon GPS Chartplotter. It even has a TV in the v berth that works on shore power that I'll include with the boat. It also has a new electric water pump in the galley sink, a refrigerator for shore power and an electric macerator pump. It has a Muir electric anchor windlass, Bruce anchor and a Suzuki 4 hp outboard for the dinghy. The bottom has been painted within the last 12 months and is cleaned monthly. The boat is a deal at this price. You couldn't ask for a better boat for weekend trips to Catalina... or anywhere for that matter! Get your dream boat today!! Call me. the slip is NOT A LIVEABOARD. The slip is temporary in long beach, so you might want to move it or go on the waiting list for a permamnant slip. You should be able to keep it there for a while though: I have had a temporary slip there for the last year with no problems.
Old 30-07-2008, 02:16   #3

Boat: Phillip Rhodes 60 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to Alondra
Hi there!

Looks to me like a pretty nice boat with nice features and, according to the pics, well maintained... Good chance you'll get here for around 7,5 k and I think to start with it should do a lot of good for you all.

Is it the best you found? If yes, don't worry, boat looks in very good condition.

If no, keep on searchin, but hey, graas is always greener on the other side of the road. Don't overdo it!

regards,

Rene
Alondra Sailing || Sailing in Style
Alondra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 02:24   #4

it's not the best-but i'm not sure what to look for :S

the boat is nice, and i have heard quality more than quantity, but i'm not sure how "much quality i need" for a newby that needs a ready boat what is good enough its difficult to deside especially because most "cheap boats" are OLDDDD..
Old 30-07-2008, 12:49   #5

bump?

another good option?
eBay Motors: boat bayliner ciera cabin cruiser with trailer (item 220261642278 end time Jul-30-08 13:19:23 PDT)
descp:
Vehicle Description
Bayliner 27 ft. Ciera Cabin Cruiser.w/trailer
Hull material: Fiberglass, engine/fuel/gas.
Vessel walkthru:
The interior is clean, spacious, boasting a full galley with refrigerator, stove, sink and lots of storage. Full size dinette, seats four which also converts into a bed. Port side full restroom including toilet, sink and shower. Plenty of storage for toiletries. V berth with storage underneath and above, sleeps two adults comfortably. Aft stateroom fit queen size mattress, also plenty of lighting. Tankage fuel, water, holding tank. Engine 350 chevrolet marine.
Electronics and navigation equipment:
Two sonar/fish finders, compass, 2-way marine radio,with cd player weatherband and ipod port. Temp, volt, oil, tach, fuel, hour, mph, gages.
Deck and Hull:
Anchor w/chain and rope, bow sprint w/roller, stainless steel rap around bow rail, stainless steel side rails, stainless steel grab rails, rub railings, swim platform w/built-in swim ladder, 2-flush mount rod holders, off shore 10 gallon bait tank, magma propane bbq, full canvas enclosure, running lights, duel trumpet horn, fenders, captain helm seat, guest seating.
Mechanical and Engine:
Engine replaced in 2007 with less than 20 hours, single volvo penta outdrive, recently serviced, port and star board stabilizers, engine room blower, halon fire suppression system, manuel fire extinguishers, automatic bilge pump, sump pump, bait pump. New water heater, new macerator pump.
Electrical System:
12 volt dc system, 110 ac system, 12 volt lighting system, battery parallel switch, 3 group 24 batteries, shore power cord, bonding system.
Very clean, fun family boat. This boat comes with 33 ft. quick load triple axile trailer w/brakes. Boat and trailer is for pick-up only, no shipping....
Old 30-07-2008, 15:25   #6

wish me good luck :D

so i got the 2750 sunbridge bayliner 1985 for 6900$ with a 3 axel trailer GOOD LUCK TO MEE

MM I DIDN'T GOT MUCH ATTENTION HERE ;(
Old 30-07-2008, 15:52   #7

Boat: Sceptre 41
Hi cubjean:

For the most part this is a silor's venue. there are some powerboaters but not tooo many. Good luck with looking for a boat. I'd offer help but I don't know much about power boats.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-07-2008, 16:46   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
Quote:
GOOD LUCK TO MEE
It looks like a real "Gas Guzzler" in and out of the water. GOOD LUCK TO YOU.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote