Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-08-2012, 05:21   #1

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'
B.O.A.T

Warning Will Robinson....,,,,,,,

You know things have gone to hell when your insurer has paid out for a boatyard to repair your yacht and the boatyard throws this acronym at you; Bring Out Another Thousand?

So what through their negligence might I ask was not included in their quote?

Then again, the general consensus from other boaters is that yachting on the East Coast of Australia is nothing but a scam to rid one of their very last dollar! Oops, that should read "cent"!
Old 18-08-2012, 05:27   #2

Boat: 40' Jeanneau
Re: B.O.A.T

Marine professionals do seem to think they need to bill in $1000.00 increments. The sad thing is, if you did the job yourself, you may well find you can get the same thing accomplished for less than $100.00 out of pocket.

You DON'T always get what you pay for, in my experience.
Tia Bu is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2012, 06:17   #3

O
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
Marine professionals do seem to think they need to bill in $1000.00 increments. The sad thing is, if you did the job yourself, you may well find you can get the same thing accomplished for less than $100.00 out of pocket.

You DON'T always get what you pay for, in my experience.
Or what they as the "Professionals" have quoted for? Seems to me that the insurance company were not the only ones factoring in an "excess"!
Old 18-08-2012, 19:45   #4

Well on the bright side that was one hell of a bottle of red I had last night. On the downside, I am still pissed about the negativity surrounding the cost of boating. The more people are complacent or even accepting of acronyms like B.O.A.T the more they will come back to bite us. It is no joke when you are on the receiving end!

Oh, I do wish I could post more positive threads. It is such a pity that here in NSW the negativity is so overwhelming. Just when I needed a bit of encouragement I have also had the same acronym rubbed in my face in Qld. Maybe it is time to see if things are different in Tassie or even further afield?
Old 17-09-2012, 01:48   #5

Yes, owning a yacht in NSW Australia will make your life a nightmare. If you think otherwise, as they say in "The Castle", your "Dreaming"!
Old 17-09-2012, 02:39   #6

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

Even if you do it yourself by the time you have factored in your labour, B.O.A.T. applies. If not before!
To do a good job, boats cost. But a quote is a quote, if it isn't a notified variation on specs or new work- don't pay. fcuk 'em.
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 03:08   #7

The acronym is the same the world over. To haul the boat and sit it on the hard for a week is a 1000, before you add materials. The latest pain in the ass is the supply your own ladder policy. Your boat is in a cradle with the deck 12 foot in the air and you have to hire a ladder from Kenards hire or coats hire because of a change in OH and S laws and the same laws stop you from staying on your boat over night whilst in the yard. And they are looking at enforcing the scaffolding rules if working more than 2,7 Meters from the ground. All This may be less of an impact if you live nearby, but an added expensive pain if your traveling and the boat is your home.

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 03:08   #8

Un-notified omissions seem to be more the case. Never ever leave repairs or especially insurance work to the so-called experts. Never rely on their word. Put everything that should have been included in the claim in writing. I am talking EVERYTHING. As a landlubber might say, leave no rock unturned. Then give a copy to both the repairer and insurance company. Also request a detailed inventory from both for what is included in the repair.

Believe me, people forget things you might have considered important fast. In my case I was even told today that I did not tell them about a fairly major and quite obvious detail. Particularly remember that this will be your fault. At least if you did compile that list in an extremely anal accounting manner you can say, "OK, then why then is this missing?".

Oh, also remember that once an average repairer has the insurers money you are at the bottom of their priority list. I get this bad vibe some almost want you to get frustrated and spit the colloquial dummy so they can justify doing an average job to get rid of you.

Sorry to all those "dreamers", but this is the dirty business of B.O.A.T.ing
Old 17-09-2012, 03:20   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
The acronym is the same the world over. To haul the boat and sit it on the hard for a week is a 1000, before you add materials. The latest pain in the ass is the supply your own ladder policy. Your boat is in a cradle with the deck 12 foot in the air and you have to hire a ladder from Kenards hire or coats hire because of a change in OH and S laws and the same laws stop you from staying on your boat over night whilst in the yard. And they are looking at enforcing the scaffolding rules if working more than 2,7 Meters from the ground. All This may be less of an impact if you live nearby, but an added expensive pain if your traveling and the boat is your home.
As we can see it is one bloody infectious acronym!
Old 17-09-2012, 04:21   #10

Lost interest in your boat and left her rotting on her mooring? Stop feeling sorry for yourself and the old hulk. Truth is you like thousands of others you may have contracted B.O.A.T. disease. Unfortunately though, a fat wallet or insurance is no cure!
Old 17-09-2012, 05:58   #11

I'm in Melbourne but my boat is in Tassie. Mooring, slipping, paint, chandlery (Tamar Marine) are all so cheap, that it costs me less to have the boat in Tassie and take the ferry to her six or seven times a year, than it is to keep her in Melbourne.
Also, Tassie has truly wonderful cruising areas.
If you're looking for the last bastion of (relatively) inexpensive boating, quality tradesmen, and less heavily regulated waterways, then I highly recommend Tassie. Moving there myself as soon as I finish dealing with the teenager infestation in the house.
Normanby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 08:44   #12
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
I'm in Melbourne but my boat is in Tassie. Mooring, slipping, paint, chandlery (Tamar Marine) are all so cheap, that it costs me less to have the boat in Tassie and take the ferry to her six or seven times a year, than it is to keep her in Melbourne.
If you're looking for the last bastion of (relatively) inexpensive boating, quality tradesmen, and less heavily regulated waterways, then I highly recommend Tassie. Moving there myself as soon as I finish dealing with the teenager infestation in the house.
You must have found the only good yard in Tassie. The rest are terrible, way worse then the Mainland, the weather is atrocious, the cruising is very third rate, the anchorages have extremely poor holding, the scenery is boring, the locals are decidedly unfriendly and the beer is worse than mouthwash.

Do everyone a favour and let them know the real truth - don't go to Tassie - really, just don't go - you will be lucky to find anyone there except Normandy (and perhaps me).

All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 12:26   #13

Boat: S34 Bob Stewart - 1959 Patiki class. Re--built by me & good mate.

ROFL! On the teenagers. Sell up & move or they hang around as post teenagers.

Don't come here either, its has crap weather & is full of trumpet blowing Kiwis.
Oops... thats me.
Nah..just kiddin...don't see enough of my girls now.

Still cheapish yards here, but getting hard to find. Best is your own backyard but Missus could be expensive. You might have to send her to Europe....
lateral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2012, 19:02   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Normanby View Post
Hey thanks,

I was seriously thinking of sailing down to Tassie for many of these reasons. Oh, not to mention the fact I love the place. I will be stowing my trekking gear and can't wait to dive for abalone, lobster and scallops.

Yes Wotname, I will be careful not to get ate by Alexander Pierce the convict cannibals surviving relatives or the two tonne great white sharks!