Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2009, 15:31   #16

Boat: a sailing boat
I think s-f sucks. Alas, there is that book by Asimov about devils, witches, etc., it is an antholgy. Great read when I was 13.

Alas again, ;-) if Philip K. Dick's books are as good as the movies based on them, then I am a becoming s-c fan!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 15:44   #17

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
From my profile:
Quote:
Love to read Sci-fi/fantasy classics(Anne McCaffrey, Norton, Clarke, Orson Scott Card, CS Lewis, and Tolkien)
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Fishman_Tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2009, 18:48   #18

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Dude.

I love scifi. For authors......geez I have a lot on my bookshelves. Athur C Clark, Orson Scott Card, Asimov, Timothy Zahn (yeah that Heir to the Empire trilogy rocked), Heinlein, a bunch more....I'd have to look to get the full list.

But speaking of awesome sci fi stuff, anyone gone to the Star Wars: In Concert show? I went on Friday: it was great. Details and pics on the blog:

Sails and Stars: Star Wars: In Concert
Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:43   #19
One of Those

Boat: Catalac 12M (sold)
I started reading Sci-Fi when I was about in the fourth grade. I have read every author mentioned here. Nobody mentioned Douglas Adams...the Hitchhikers Guide series...kinda light hearted science fiction. And King has written a few things that border on it, too. The Dark Tower series, for example.

I remember one of the first ones I read when I was about 12 was "The Star Beast" by Heinlein, and I was hooked.

I am a incorrigible reader, though. I still read about two novels a week. More if I am flying someplace.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:05   #20

Boat: a sailing boat
Sometimes my job lists look pure sci-fi to me ... ;-)

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 07:27   #21
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
maybe there is something about sailing and a love of sci fi... we are total addicts at our house, and should we ever become full time cruisers the books will have to have a place to live while we are off shore. Not an authour mentioned here we haven't got on the shelves, and we are delighted that the 16 year old is as big an addict as we are.

our guilty pleasure on a weekend is a trip to
Borderlands Books : Used&New Science Fiction, Fantasy&Horror

where you are not limited to star trek or starwars...

we never get out with out a bag to haul...

and if I had to pick, Heinlein would be the top on my hit parade.

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 11:22   #22
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
There are a lot of cruisers who hate sci-fi. I always tell them they lack imagination ;-)

I also tell them to sit back and take a look at their cell phone or iTouch/iPhone and compare that to Kirk's or T'Pol's communicator!

cheers,
Nick.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:00   #23
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
As a long-time book trader, I found than nobody wanted obscure Science Fiction, and certainly not Romance novels.

When I instituted a “leave one - take one” book trade at Club Thunderball, in Staniel Cay, I initially stocked the bookshelf with an eclectic collection of about 100 (“mainstream”) paperback novels, and a half dozen hard cover reference books (marked with “property of s/v ‘Southbound’ - reference only, do not remove”).

Within a couple of months, the shelf was down to about 50 books (& 2 or 3 references), mostly Romance & third-rate Sci-Fi.

Question:
If nobody wants them, why do they waste precious space aboard, in bringing them?

Below: Club Thunderball & Staniel Cay Library
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	79clubthunderball-med.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	169.4 KB
ID:	10978   Click image for larger version

Name:	79staniel_cay_library-med.jpg
Views:	564
Size:	205.8 KB
ID:	10979  

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:07   #24

Boat: Lock Crowther Spindrift 40 - Cheshire
Sci fi

David Weber's Honor Harrington series has entertaining references to the heyday of the British navy. It's epic and a bit technical. I have no idea how viable his thoughts are on space flight technology and the dynamics of space battles, but they seem plausible to me and his characters are engaging. Good passage reading.

Cheers!
SusanneAmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:20   #25

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Heinlein once said that "The Mote in Gods Eye" was one of the best SF books ever written. It is one of my favorites too.
LakeSuperior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:41   #26

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Count me in as well. I've been an avid sci-fi reader since I was about 8 years old.

The first boat I lived on, A Grampian 26 had the entire Vee Berth shelving filled with my sci-fi books. I figure she was down by the head a good 2 inches because of them. They were the only things I took from my apartment when I moved aboard.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 13:50   #27

Boat: Rainbow 24
Vernor Vinge and Iain M. Banks are two authors that write really engaging and challenging science fiction. I can't get enough of their stuff.
Old 09-11-2009, 14:24   #28

Boat: Searunner 34 and Searunner Constant Camber 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by michaeldsusa View Post
I declare this boat related as I'm taking my SF collection to the boat - or at least part of it

I really can’t stand the stuff myself.

Well, except for the Dune series. That was pretty good. And I like the early Heinlein novels. You know, Have Spacesuit, Will Travel and that sort? Well, his latter stuff was good too if looked at it as experimenting with governmental forms. But other than those two – well, no … and Phillip K. Dick. I really thought his stuff was interesting too. And, and I have to say that Martian Chronicles really got me hooked on Ray Bradburry who led straight into Arthur C. Clarke. Those guys, are geniuses.

The problem is that aliens are so human and not.... well, Stanislaw Lem, yeah he was good.

You know, here is the real thing that gets me: Canticle for Leibowitz. I though the Latin really added to the text and was nice parallel to the middle ages , but who writes a story like that and doesn’t … oh there was.

… I gotta go get my credit card.

Maren

The sea is always beautiful, sometimes mysterious and, on occasions, frighteningly powerful.
Maren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 15:05   #29

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
where is the smiley face with a light saber when ya need one!
Erika
Attached Images

Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 15:07   #30

Boat: 32' Bob Baker/Joel White Cutter (One-off wood)
I only go for the old stuff (most of the stuff written today isn't worth reading): Bradbury, Clarke, Dick, Herbert, Adams, and others. I love the short story format and also pieces by authors that didn't identify themselves as sci-fi writers (London, Vonnegut, etc.) My favorite short story is "The Gold at the Starbow's End" by Frederick Pohl. I pretty much only read non-fiction, news, sci-fi, philosophy and cookbooks. As far as I'm concerned, messing about in boats the closest thing on Earth to my childhood dream of messing about in spaceships. As unforgiving as the sea can be, it does give you a few more chances than the cold vacuum of space, too.

-Colin
marujo.sortudo is offline   Reply With Quote