Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Library
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-12-2008, 21:35   #1

Blue Water Sailing Manual

I was looking for Marchaj, which I couldn't find, but this one was sitting there on the shelf with an annoying "this is the expensive absolutely must-have gear in action"-type photo dustcover and not a single name in the list of contributing editors which I honestly respect...

Except the last one, Peter Goss.

In fact, that last name so jarred with the other author's names that I knew (Sir Chay Blyth, Mike Golding) that I figured I had to look at it a second time despite not know any of the other names (Barry Pickthall, Andrew Roberts, Dr. Campbell Mackenzi, David Houghton.)

So, I haven't even read the intro page yet, or even the dust cover teasers, but I'm looking forward to a large number of hours working my way through this textbook/reference.

I hope others will chime in here with their opinions of the book as well.

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 05:44   #2

Boat: Beneteau First 42
"Sea" the following: Amazon.com: Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor: Czeslaw A. Marchaj: Books
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 09:23   #3

Yes, that's the one I was looking for. I try to buy at local maritime booksellers and used book stores which stock marine titles (if you ever get to Sidney and Victoria on Vancouver Island... there are some *great* shops.) If nobody has it here I'll break down and order it. (I'm also looking for his Aero-Hydrodynamics of Sailing, which I had once upon a time but seem to have misplaced.)

The only problem with going to so many great book stores is I spent $100 on books I wasn't actually looking for...

So far, the water sailing">Blue Water Sailing Manual appears to be a rehash of the Steel Challenge. Pretty much exactly why I would have avoided it based on the names I knew... I'm not interested in studying the lessons learned in supported blue water sail racing eastabout against the prevailing weather, per se. I plan on sailing downwind without support on a GRP hull that's about as non-extreme as can reasonably be imagined. <sigh>

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog anchored in a coral atoll.
Amgine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2008, 10:20   #4

Boat: Beneteau First 42
You have to drill into the used books on the original link to here: Amazon.com: Used and New: Seaworthiness: The Forgotten Factor $11.00 USD is about the best you can do.
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
blue water sailing, manuals, references