Cruisers Forum

View Poll Results: Tarp or shrink wrap
tarp 16 51.61%
shrink wrap 9 29.03%
other 6 19.35%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-12-2009, 12:58   #31

Boat: Panda/Baba 40
I don't know. I've never covered my boats in winter, and I have never yet had a problem. I imagine I will (get winter-related damage) someday, but I have to doubt whether the cost of tarps or shrink wrap over the years would have been less than the cost of repair.

We've wintered in water since the late 80's in NY (Long Island). I'd be interested to hear about any winter-related damage people have actually suffered (rather than hypothetically) due to not covering, or wintering in-water.
anotherT34C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-12-2009, 13:22   #32

I also do nothing to cover the boat in winter. I tried the tarps and they never last unless you get custom and even then you need to be careful. I've also had the boat shrink wrapped by the yard and hated the grim and grit that seemed to enter the boat over the winter also had mildew problems in the cabin from time to time. I have done nothing for a number of years and the boat is much cleaner in the spring and no mildew which means less work for me and yes I do own a Canadian boat.

Capt. Mike
THE BIANKA LOG BLOG
mbianka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:02   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by MC01 View Post
I use a custom canvas cover. In the Great Lakes, some pretty good wind storms come through during the winter that tend to wreak havoc on tarp installations. I've seen even the best and most secure arrangements damaged. Nevertheless, many people attempt to use them. Its always interesting to watch how the various attempts make out by Spring.
Shrinkwrap jobs tend to do much better. They're done with venting in serveral places, and its rare to see any damage to the boat (but does happen if the install was poorly done).
For me, the canvas cover is best since it's re-usable every year, completely protects the boat, and has excellent ventilation. More $$ initially for sure, but I rest easier knowning the boat is better protected, and I don't have to pay for new tarps or new shrink wrap repeatedly.
. . . Took a look around the boatyard today. Five of the tarp jobs are now damaged with one completely torn off the boat, one shredded but mostly still on the boat, and the others pulled loose here and there to varrying degrees. The tarp jobs that are doing the best are arranged as a "boom tent" (and similar forward of the mast) with the edges secured all along the aluminum toe rails.

The shrinkwrap and canvas jobs are all doing well so far.

How are things going at your boatyard so far?
MC01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 20:13   #34

Boat: C&C 35 Mk.II
Sunset Chaser is small enough that I can keep her in a garage for the winter. A far better option than tarp or shrink wrap... if, that is, your boat isn't big.

I tried one of these fancy synthetic cover materials last year..... a silverey polyester-based weave, absolute garbage and it lasted only a couple of months before the sun, rain and wind tore it to shreds. We're going to try a custom cover made from vinyl/poly fabric from an old billboard next; it seems much more durable.

So far I haven't seen any tarps or shrinkwraps blow off the boats in the yards around here yet this season.... but we haven't had a good winter storm yet. Give 'er 40 knots of wind and a metre of snow, and we'll see which covers survive....