Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-06-2008, 13:17   #1

Seiko watch with a rotating compass dial?

Ok Seiko makes great watches and I am interested in the one in the lower left (Seiko SKZ207K1):

Watches Omega Watches Tag Heuer Watches Movado Watches Invicta Watches Breitling Watches Jewelry-Watches Seiko Watches, Men's Watches, Women's Watches.

As you can see, it's $150 (on sale), water resistant, lots of nice features, etc.

But the feature that I have never seen before is the rotating compass dial. evidently you rotate the compass dial with the knob at 9 o'clock.

My question: can you think of practical uses for this feature? Preferably while sailing?

Only one I can think of is to put the course you are heading at 12 o'clock for reference. I suppose that could be a handy thing, but it seems kind of trivial.
speedoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 13:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Caution!! there are a lot of these watches doing the rounds at the mo. They are NOT genuine, they are Chinese fake copies. They are really cheap. We have ones being advertised on our NZ trademe (our version of Ebay). The interesting thing we are experiencing here is that you think you are buying a watch via either NZ or Oz. And then once you do the deal, you find the thing comes all the way from China.
I have not heard what quality is like. Maybe they are good quality, but I do not wish to support the Chinese fraud market.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 13:32   #3

OK, thought of a couple additional uses for this:

1. Keeping track of true wind (assuming you have a way to deteremine true wind).

2. Noting a compass course to get back to the boat in a big anchorage at night. Use a hockey puck compass to note the compass course to the dinghy dock from the boat, add 180 and note this course with your watch.
Old 12-06-2008, 13:36   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler View Post
Caution!! there are a lot of these watches doing the rounds at the mo. They are NOT genuine, they are Chinese fake copies. They are really cheap. We have ones being advertised on our NZ trademe (our version of Ebay). The interesting thing we are experiencing here is that you think you are buying a watch via either NZ or Oz. And then once you do the deal, you find the thing comes all the way from China.
I have not heard what quality is like. Maybe they are good quality, but I do not wish to support the Chinese fraud market.
Wheels, that's always a risk, but I have a tendency to trust this site. If I buy (BIG IF) and it turns out to be a fake, I'd expect them to make a refund. Question is, how do you determine if it's a fake or genuine?
Old 12-06-2008, 13:40   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
That Seiko is an automatic watch. These watches require cleaning every few years and that's not cheap. I have an Omega Seamaster sitting in a drawer, cleaning was just getting too expensive and it's hard to find a good watchmaker nowadays. As for the compass dial you have to align it with the needle. Kind of gimmicky. Don't think you need a compass on a watch. 200m water resist and wind-in crown are good features. I would recommend a Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive, similar features (no compass) very light and never needs a battery. Much more accurate than an automatic watch too.
Old 12-06-2008, 17:09   #6

Would echo Vasco's comment about staying away from automatic watches for the annoyance and cost of maintenance and for accuracy reasons (if accuracy is important to one). As far as I know the compass is a gimmick

I have nothing against Seiko watches and wore Seikos (automatic in old days then quartz) for many years - but some years back wife needed a new watch and she got a Citizen Eco-Drive, the Eco-Drives not needing battery replacements; soon after my Seiko died so I followed suit with a Citizen titanium Eco-Drive. Have no regrets at all so, like Vasco, would be my recommendation too.

Also, have you noticed that in the advertisement you link to that the crown is on the wrong side for right handed persons? I would also check if it is one of Seiko's modern automatic designs or one of their old cheapo ones.
MidLandOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 22:46   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
My Casio has an electronic Compass. I have found that very helpful on many occasions. I have just one slight issue with it. It just fell of my wrist and dropped in the drink. I now have one UHF handheld, several tools and a wrist watch at the bottom of my vessels birth. Darn it, and I just replaced the battery as well.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 05:10   #8

Re: Seiko watch with a rotating compass dial?

I have that watch - on the pro side its a good watch, seiko makes phenomenal product. Decently heavy and solid, keeps accurate time. The compas is for sigh reading the sun to tell general direction Land Nav Task 14 - Determine Direction without a Compass (ArmyStudyGuide.com) be aware though, the compass knob does not lock down and with the watch on your wrist, it will move the compass wheel back and forth...
cerebraljungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-12-2012, 06:09   #9
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Re: Seiko watch with a rotating compass dial?

Quote:
I would recommend a Citizen Titanium Eco-Drive, similar features (no compass) very light and never needs a battery. Much more accurate than an automatic watch too.
+1, I have the Wr200 Skyhawk, LF radio time code reception in general works well. Citizen do suggest the watch should be returned to update the seals every few years.

DAve

Tags
compass