Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-06-2014, 08:23   #1

Boat: 82 Present, 13 ft dinghy
RAW WATER AIR CONDITIONER PUMPS

Stand by for rant::::
Bought a boat, OCT 2009 replaced AC, used March 500 GPH already on boat. Lasted less than a year. No problem, I did not know how old pump was +-$300 later new March Pump. 6 months later laid up boat for refit. 10 months after that refit done, AC reinstalled and moved back on. Month later pump goes down, flat spot on armateur. Hot, hot!! Found another pump (March) installed same.
Now I have owned 3 March Pumps and have not gotten my moneys worth yet. Started trying to find March Pump Company. Never could find much information about the company, lots of retailers but the company??? I know why, they want to hide and for good reason. I finally found a factory rep. I explained my situation and that I felt that I had not gotten fair service from the product. He agreed and felt that it would be no problem. I later got the feeling that he repped many companies and March was just one of. E mails flew for a few months. All I wanted was a spare, not a refund. I had plenty of impeller assemblies, just wanted a motor. He said March would not warranty being over a year old and he would get me one from his buddy in the shop. Monthly e mails for 8 months...no motor. Either he was lying or the company the represents would not listen and follow THEIR Rep's recommendations. Either way I am done. I spoke to yard owners and AC techs, they said to a man, that the pumps are pretty good but forget customer service.

Now I bought another boat, one month in the March Pump gave up. Purchased 6/22/2013, but there was an extended warranty from West, pump 3 days out of MFG warranty gave up, agan HOT. West replaced immedately and got this old fat man back in the hot bilge immedately. I bought an extended warranty for replaced pump. Now I have owned 5 March Pumps since 2009. When I run out of warranty replacements I will divest myself of any business with this unethical company. I have 1 defective March pump in possession, close friend has 2 more. They have NO serial numbers. I bet I can get even with this company. I do not usually do business this way but when you have to handle something a dog leaves behind you will get some some on your hands, no matter how careful you are.
My advice, use work arounds..Buy extended warranty if possible, charge on American Express with extended warranty protection. Never let a receipt get away. Keep a spare so your back will not be up against the wall because of the heat. Lastly, buy somebody elses pump, if for no other reason just knowing they do not give a da-n about their customers.

I am a retired cruiser, I have NO affiliation to anything or anybody outside of family, company or otherwise. I have told the truth, nothing but the truth, so help me.
Old 29-06-2014, 09:05   #2

Boat: Able 50
Re: RAW WATER AIR CONDITIONER PUMPS

Some other factor is causing the pump to overheat. Here are 2 possibilities.

1. There is a blockage in the AC raw water system. Ask your local AC guy to give the raw water system an acid flush. You can do it yourself if you feel like buying a pump, bucket and tubing. When I did it all kinds of black goop came out of mine suggesting that it hadn't been flushed since installation.

2. The inlet side strainer is slowing water flow. First check that you even have one ( don't laugh. My boat didn't which explains how all the goop got there ) and that the basket is clean. Depending on flow rate the strainer might be too small. Maybe you need one of the big Groco ones like this

Name:   501794.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  11.1 KB

There is a March pump on my refrigerator and it has been faultless for the 2 years I have used it. I live aboard 6 months per year

People with other ideas will be along soon.
savoir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 09:26   #3

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun

I found the March pumps to be too noisy. I use Cal pump, about half the price (MS580 = $130 ea) and very quiet. The two I have now been running for ~5 years.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 12:50   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Sorry to hear about your problem. We have two March pumps on our two AC systems and they have been running quietly and without problem for 16yrs. The March pump on our old watermaker was 20yrs old when we sold it, and I assume still running today. The March pump on our current watermaker is running fine too, but it is only 9 months old.

These may be different models, of course.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-06-2014, 15:30   #5

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

March pumps have a good reputation, I have two which are over 10 yo now and still humming along. Your failure rate is unusually high across multiple pumps, maybe the pumps are not the issue. I've seen pumps undersized on AC installs have a higher rate of failure. Going to the next size up solved the problem. Also seen poor eletrical installations (cable gauge too small, old corroded connections) cause problems too.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-06-2014, 17:48   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Be aware that they usually do have an internal cooling system (those 2 thin pieces of tubing going into the housing). Regular maintenance with an acid wash should keep your system clean. If those cooling loops get clogged, they will get hot! They ARE submersible - and do run cooler submerged.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
raw water, water