Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 11:19   #1

Boat: Looking for a new boat
Good non-Through-Hull Depth Sounder

Hey guys I am looking for product recommendations for a good non-through hull depth sounder...or is that an oxymoron? Are the glue to the inside of the hull models any good. How bout a transom mounted one? The idea being that it would be nice to install without hauling out.
unbusted67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 12:24   #2

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
Re: Good non-Through-Hull Depth Sounder

I can't give you a name but it used to be common practice to fiberglas a section of pipe to the side of the hull, angled so it was vertical. The transducer was mounted through the end cap which was then screwed to the pipe after it had been filled with water or mineral oil. This way the transducer head was immersed in liquid and the signal would penetrate the hull with no difficulty

Its been a long time since I read about it or saw it done so a bit of research might be in order but it was a pretty clean installation.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:45   #3

Boat: a sailing boat

We use a standard one that I chopped the brim off and it is sitting in a well. There is (oil?) round it. It works very well but some range is lost (about 10%).

It is a Ray that came with ST30. Nothing fancy - just like any other sensor.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:47   #4

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabreKai View Post
I can't give you a name but it used to be common practice to fiberglas a section of pipe to the side of the hull, angled so it was vertical. The transducer was mounted through the end cap which was then screwed to the pipe after it had been filled with water or mineral oil. This way the transducer head was immersed in liquid and the signal would penetrate the hull with no difficulty

Its been a long time since I read about it or saw it done so a bit of research might be in order but it was a pretty clean installation.

Sabre

Exactly!
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 16:51   #5

Boat: Cape Dory 33, 17' Boston Whaler

I've done exactly as SabreKai mentioned with great results. I first did it as a rush job prior to heading down the ICW. It was meant to be temporary but when it worked so well I ripped it out and reset everything more permanently. I used a PVC clean out fitting and mounted the transducer in the cap. I space it down from the cap a little into the fitting (which became the well) so if there is any air trapped inside, the bubble would always be above the transducer head at any angle of heal. Next time the boat is hauled I plan to remove the old non-working head and fill the hole.

I used vegetable oil but I've heard vasoline works. If that's true, it would be great because it would never leak. Of course, with careful installation and sealing of the well it won't leak either.

As far as recommending a unit, I used a Garmin through-hull transducer. I spoke with Garmin about using their unit in the way I planned and they said it *should* work if the hull thickness is less than 5/8". Keep in mind the curve of the hull adds thickness if the transducer is aiming straight down.

Best of luck!
Prerequisite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2011, 17:11   #6

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37
Good non-Through-Hull Depth Sounder

unbusted67,

Here are a couple of links that show how other boater are mounting the depth sounder inside the hull.

http://www.airmartechnology.com/uploads/brochures/AIRMAR%20Transducer%20Guide%202009.pdf
http://yachtvalhalla.net/articles/transducer/transducer.html
http://www.westsystem.com/ss/assets/Uploads/DepthSounder.pdf
http://www.echopilot.com/user/image/fittingadepthlogtransducer.pdf
http://www.boat-project.com/nav/sonar.htm

Mark
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
depth, depth sounder