Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 10:53   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
Forespar Leisure Furl

Considering a boat with this in-boom furling but I don't have any experience with in-boom furlers. Can anyone tell me the good or bad?

Thanks!
CaptainBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:00   #2

Boat: 43 ft Selene/Solo
No direct experience, but it is said to be the best system available. Only down side I found was it's cost..........about 13k to retro my boat....I just couldn't afford it!
Ralph Waldo Emerson
captain465 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 11:13   #3

Boat: Islander 36
If it's already on the boat, you're past one of the negatives. Cost.

Some say sail shape is a negative.

Getting the boom at the right angle before furling is important.

Positives are, unlimited reefing points, and convienience.

Since it's already on the boat, I'd call it a positive.
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28   #4
Eternal Member

I've had a LeisureFurl on my 42' sloop for eight years. Love it. Cost is the big drawback, but if the boat already has it you're good.

Mine has a purpose-built North Sails full-batten main, with a big roach. Sail shape isn't a factor....it's VERY good with in-boom furlers, including at any point of furl.

What size is the boat? If it's over about 40', you'll definitely need an electric winch for the LeisureFurl....makes raising and lowering the sail easy.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 07:53   #5

Thanks for the feedback so far!

The boat is 42' and does have electric winches.

I am very much a "tradionalist" or "purist" when it comes to sailing and the thought of electric winches and furlers for the main seems like cheating to me. However, the boat fits our criteria pretty well, and I'll bet the extra comforts of the gear will help us keep cruising as we get older.
Old 03-09-2010, 07:56   #6

btrayfors,

One follow up question...does the boom furler work equally as well when in 25kt winds and higher, or is there a wind speed where it becomes non-functional?

Thanks
Old 03-09-2010, 08:15   #7
Eternal Member

It works just fine in stronger winds, but at just about all wind strengths above 10 or so you've got to de-power the main. That generally means easing the boom out and coming up toward the wind. If the wind isn't completely spilled, you can cheat a little by biding your time and furling the main incrementally, pushing the winch button for a few seconds whenever the wind in the main is least.

Downwind, you can sheet the boom completely in, and bring the sail down incrementally.

You'll thank your lucky stars for the electric winches. I thought I'd get by without one, but when we raised and lowered the main a few times at dockside it was clear that an electric winch was really a necessity. Particularly if you sail alone.

I've been able to handle the main well by myself in winds between 35-40 knots. Haven't encountered anything stronger than that, but I would hope that in such an eventuality I'd have already furled the main quite a bit.

So far, I've been able to raise, furl, and lower the main entirely from the cockpit. Only reasons to go forward are:

1. to pull the ropes to slide the internal sailcover back in preparation for use, or to pull the cover back over the sail when done; and

2. to eyeball the roll to confirm it's acceptable.

Once you get the boom angle right, while furling you can control the roll with the amount of tension kept on the the halyard.

One person can handle the sail, holding either the halyard or the furling line in one hand, and pressing the electric winch button with the other.

A few times up and down and you'll get the hang of it.

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote