Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-09-2010, 20:47   #16

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora
In mypart of the world, it really doesn't require large balls to negotiate the locks, only patient waiting.

Todd
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-09-2010, 22:44   #17

Boat: Islander 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Seen similar stuff EXPLODE between a 1 million+ boat and the dock in the Azores ...
Hence the wrong choice of fenders for that purpose. These are different purpose fenders. Why someone would limit their thinking to only using this typer of fender, as opposed to have an assortment is confusing to me.

They are inflatable and intended to save space on boat that don't have much to begin with, or augment the collection of fenders for boats just want to carry more than the conventional robust one they already have.

Boat Fenders Inflatable Hypalon Marine Boats Fender

I carry some similar to these in international orange. (in addition to the ball fenders and stowaways I mentioned earlier)

Click image for larger version

Name:	cbfavo-kbill-n42_a-slge.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	15.8 KB
ID:	19456

Mine weren't made by Avon, but the military seems to like them.
Old 20-09-2010, 01:00   #18

Boat: Islander 36
Click image for larger version

Name:	home-B.jpg
Views:	311
Size:	53.1 KB
ID:	19457

These are kinda big
Old 16-09-2016, 08:16   #19

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: 'Easystow Fenders' ?

Alright, we just bought a couple of the "Easystow Fenders". They were expensive for sure.

but....they are much better built than they look on the website. We bought the heavy duty 12" x 60" size and the skin is as strong as the taylor fenders we have.

There is an inner skin that is the actual thing that blows up and then the outer skin. Although we don't use the recommended pump to blow them up (we use a regular bicycle pump with an adapter) it goes pretty quickly and once blown up they are about as solid as the taylor fenders. I suppose we could pump them up to be rock hard but there has not been a reason to.

You could easy fender board them if you were concerned about nails and such but I expect that they will last as long as the Taylors. If a nail is going to go through one of these its also going to go through a Taylor. There is no valve to go bad, just a rubber tube that folds onto itself when you want to close it. It tucks into a space that keeps the UV off.

The loops used to attach them are very thick and sturdy (nylon I assume) and sewed with thick thread. There are three loops on each end. If here were one criticism I would say they need to add mid loops along the length.

We had them between our boat and an end t-dock (that got a lot of wake action) for a month and they held up very well. They seem to adjust well to the tide and being long they didn't need to be adjusted along the boat, even when the wind changed directions against the spring lines.

They roll up tight and to about the size of mid-size Taylor fender.

In a year or two I'll come back with a review of them to see how well they hold up.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote