Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 22:09   #1

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah
Woman catches leg in rope.

A nasty injury in QLD.

Tourist's leg degloved in Whitsundays yachting accident - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 22:35   #2

Re: Woman catches leg in rope.

gaah, that makes me cringe. Had a couple of those happen at my old job but with hands. I could't imagine a degloved leg!!
Oreopenguin536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:54   #3

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Boden, does "de-gloved" mean that the skin from her leg was peeled away? Thanks, Rognvald
Old 04-06-2017, 08:16   #4

Boat: Catalina 470

Had something similar happen to me years ago, fortunately the outcome was much better for me. I was racing on the 80ft maxi Congere in St Thomas, approaching the weather mark with the spinnaker clipped in ready to hoist, when a big wave over the bow washed the spinnaker overboard. I ran down to the lee rail to try and catch it, and stepped into a bight of the wire guy just as the water filled sail pulled it tight. I was pulled up against the lifelines and thought my foot was coming off, but somehow I came free with just some nasty scrapes. Needless to say we lost the entire set overboard - sail, 2 sheets, and 2 guys. The owner barely batted an eye at the cost ;-)

I hope this lady recovers quickly.

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 09:00   #5
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Boden, does "de-gloved" mean that the skin from her leg was peeled away? Thanks, Rognvald
No, this term is reserved for when muscles and tissues are basically slid-off the bone. Sometimes things can be reconstructed, sometimes it leads to amputation, since the tissue damage is generally massive. I've know two people who had fingers de-gloved. Both lost the fingers after attempts at reconstruction.

Ugly.
Old 04-06-2017, 09:55   #6

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
No, this term is reserved for when muscles and tissues are basically slid-off the bone. Sometimes things can be reconstructed, sometimes it leads to amputation, since the tissue damage is generally massive. I've know two people who had fingers de-gloved. Both lost the fingers after attempts at reconstruction.

Ugly.
Thanks, Thinwater, for the clarification. Best, Rognvald.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:46   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Thanks, Thinwater, for the clarification. Best, Rognvald.
I would say google a picture of it under normal circumstances but it is not for the ones with squeamish stomachs for sure. Gory mess.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know the status of the woman? I mean if she will in fact need amputation or whats going on?
Oreopenguin536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:28   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oreopenguin536 View Post
I would say google a picture of it under normal circumstances but it is not for the ones with squeamish stomachs for sure. Gory mess.

Just out of curiosity does anyone know the status of the woman? I mean if she will in fact need amputation or whats going on?
I had never heard this term used before.
So I googled (click on "images") to see images of examples.
The photos show horrible, massive injuries.

I can see how a line wrapped on a limb could cause that kind of injury. Another reason Crew should be careful when handling lines on a boat.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 14:59   #9

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady Hand View Post
I can see how a line wrapped on a limb could cause that kind of injury. Another reason Crew should be careful when handling lines on a boat.
It's not just about care when line handling, or even necessarily crew experience levels. As sometimes getting snatched by a line happens without warning, even to pro's. And it's why I always insist that everyone carry a knife at all times, & never ever loan them out. Tell the other party to fetch & use the spare in your gear bag.

A friend of mine was almost cut in half by a line due to goofing on this rule. And it took a lot of surgeries, & recovery work for her to come back to full function. She could have easily lost her leg. Or worse.

And by always, I mean that literally. At least so long as you're awake/dressed. As one should always be on/in your trousers, as well as on your harness or pfd. So that you have one on hand even in a situation when you've not time to think to grab one.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 15:04   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by UNCIVILIZED View Post
It's not just about care when line handling, or even necessarily crew experience levels. As sometimes getting snatched by a line happens without warning, even to pro's. And it's why I always insist that everyone carry a knife at all times, & never ever loan them out. Tell the other party to fetch & use the spare in your gear bag.

A friend of mine was almost cut in half by a line due to goofing on this rule. And it took a lot of surgeries, & recovery work for her to come back to full function. She could have easily lost her leg. Or worse.

And by always, I mean that literally. At least so long as you're awake/dressed. As one should always be on/in your trousers, as well as on your harness or pfd. So that you have one on hand even in a situation when you've not time to think to grab one.
Good points!
Always have a knife.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 16:30   #11

Boat: Boden 36 Triple chine long keel steel, named Nekeyah

Rognvald, I found this definition in a medical site on line :

The term degloving injury earned its name for the type of injury that results when a hand is “degloved” — meaning the skin is completely pulled off the arm and hand, leaving only the underlying bones, muscles and tissue.

If it was done with a rope, the underlying structures would be horribly mutilated.
Uncivilized is spot on with his comments about everyone carrying a knife at all times!

Regards,
Richard.
boden36 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rope