Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2013, 20:06   #1

Boat: Under construction
Permanent Jacklines

Hi All. After lurking here for a long time I have decided to finally become active in the forum. I am about to commence construction on a Radford 350 steel cruising yacht and my question pertains to permanent jacklines.
Does anyone have any permanent jackline on their yacht?
Has anyone seen one in use?
The system I am looking at using has been developed for roof safety systems where a permanent stainless steel cable is mounted to the deck and cabin top and a "transfastener" (check out The Latchways Transfastener | Latchways plc - the world leaders in fall protection ) runs along the cable, crossing supports and corners easily. The lifeline and harness is attached to the transfastener keeping the crewman (crewperson) on board. The transfastener allows users to clip and unclip without difficulty in order to pass one another.
Whilst it is an expensive system, it is well proven in many different applications including the Sydney Harbor Bridgewalk.
I would be very interested to hear other peoples constructive opinions. Ignore the cost factor and tell me why it will or wont work.
Chris.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:29   #2

Boat: Sail any boats from 28 to 60 ft
Re: Permanent Jacklines

Look cool. But I would not like it. I like my jackline soft and lay down flat. If I don't need it, I can take it off less than 5 min. Deck space is premium, I don't want anything permanent on the deck.

However if this can be incorporated into the lifeline, you may have something exciting to talk about.
rockDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2013, 20:46   #3

Boat: Under construction
Re: Permanent Jacklines

Thanks rockDAWG. I intend to set it up so that it runs along, or as close as possible to the centre line of the boat in a big loop, thereby keeping the crew inboard rather than exposed to the edge of the yacht. The cable would be permanently attached by way of stainless brackets, welded to the deck and cabin top, that would keep the system clear of running rigging but it can be shaped to avoid any permanent fixtures, hatches etc.
The system could be incorporated into the lifelines easily but that would result in crew potentially ending up on the wrong side of the lifeline and getting back aboard would be difficult if not impossible. But at least they would find one's body when they find the yacht.
Chris66 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Jacklines