Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-12-2015, 08:11   #16

Boat: 1976 Pearson 30
Re: I am looking for some inexpensive harnesses

Maybe a 300# carabiner attached to the pfd. A person could then remove it while in relative calm while in cockpit.
ctlydon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 08:35   #17

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctlydon73 View Post
Looking to get some guest harnesses for my boat but don't want to spend much. Was thinking a boat pfd combos. Any ideas
I'm sorry but the only folks I knew who bought cheap survival equipment, didn't survive to tell me how it worked out. IT'S YOUR LIFE! Blue water can give you nightmares including the Great Lakes! Do yourself a favor, buy quality gear, it is an investment in your future, just like putting away money to retire on! Visitors aboard want to live to go home as well, if it's not good enough for me, then it's not good enough for them!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 09:09   #18

Boat: Maxi 95, 31ft

mbuckely: I’m interested. Where are you and do these have crotch straps?

If you have the actual model number that I can look at online, that would be great.

--john
johnjuliano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:15   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 36-1
Send a message via Skype™ to George DuBose

I can't believe that there is a discussion about cheap harnesses and life jackets Another reason, I bring my own.
George DuBose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 11:47   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

You know the line up of PFD/harness etc at West Marine shows several sale items--have you checked? There's not that big a difference between a good PFD with harness on sale than a good PFD plus separate harness.

It is simpler for people if it's all together in one item --the PFD. And there will be those folks who don't want to wear their PFD no matter how light it is or how simple. These are guests to your boat who, in theory, are out for just a weekend or even an afternoon right? If they were seriously sailing with you for a passage, they'd have their own PFD and harness.

We have rock climbing and spelunking harnesses aboard (for climbing) but wouldn't outfit a guest in one--we prefer to use marine gear.

We really like our Mustangs with the built in harness. And use a basic crotch strap. You can see the back of the harness with strap here in the video.

If we were to buy more crotch straps we'd likely buy these thigh straps instead.

Pic below was in this post on our site

Old 14-12-2015, 13:33   #21

Boat: 1976 Pearson 30

Thanks. That is what we are going with (all in one)
ctlydon73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 08:24   #22

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

I recently picked up some Black Diamond climbing gear to fashion my own harness. The "Vario" chest harness mentioned is absolutely NOT to be used as a standalone rig;as per the provided instructions.. The pictogram reference is a red stop sign and skull and crossbones! Due to the design and fits-all nature, the harness will ride up and strangle one with any sort of heavy tether tension.

just sayin'
HTH
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 15:11   #23

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37

HTH-

You are absolutely correct if it to be used in a climbing system it is not to be used alone. Our usage is completely different in that its purpose is to keep you from going overboard.
Excalibur5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 15:52   #24

Boat: Watkins 27
Send a message via Yahoo to deltaten

LOL
"our use" is no different; but I'd sooner not put my head in a noose to keep me aboard. I do hope you see the inherent danger.

all the best to you
Paul

H(hope) T(that) H(helps)
deltaten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2015, 16:11   #25

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34

Cost has nothing to do with safety. I also use chest harness( black diamond). My hubby has a spin lock .
I like my harness it fits well and will not slip over my head if I raise my arms( as most expensive PFDs will).
Harnesses should be fit to each individual and Jack line configuration. There are a million ways to approach this and no cookie cutter solution.

The best advice I've ever been given was to put your harness on and hook it up to a halyard, wrench yourself up a foot and wiggle around, raise your arms( as you would reaching up to climb back into a boat). You will quickly find even the most expensive harnesses may not live up to your expectations. And harness is just one portion of the safety gear that help protect from MOB situations. How you run your jack line is as or even more important.
Hope that helps