Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-01-2013, 10:17   #376

Re: Honduras: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates

My thoughts on the entire issue are simple. I DO carry a weapon on my boat. I WILL use it if needed. If anyone here believes that someone else is going to protect you, then you are WRONG. Most police and maritime security ( USCG, etc. ) are REACTIVE. This means that they can't or wont do anything until after the incident has occurred. If you own a boat and are cruising anywhere in the world, you are responsible for your own safety. And how you accomplish that is up to you.
praetorean is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 02-01-2013, 12:07   #377

Boat: C&C 34 & Sonar One Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorean View Post
My thoughts on the entire issue are simple. I DO carry a weapon on my boat. I WILL use it if needed. If anyone here believes that someone else is going to protect you, then you are WRONG. Most police and maritime security ( USCG, etc. ) are REACTIVE. This means that they can't or wont do anything until after the incident has occurred. If you own a boat and are cruising anywhere in the world, you are responsible for your own safety. And how you accomplish that is up to you.
I'm with you on what you say, share your concerns and have a CCW permit for the right states and feel I am covered in coastal waters. With your statement one can only assume you do not venture outside of US Coastal waters and, depending on your weapon of choice, you either don't need (spear gun?) or have the appropriate permitting. I am with a previous poster and do not care to see the inside of a third world prison just 'cause I'm packin'. I'm far more concerned with that then with the remote chance of encountering "pirates" or more likely, dinghy thieves.
Old 02-01-2013, 15:51   #378

I actually do have the needed permits to carry in the states that I visit. I do travel outside of US waters, and the last time I went cruising, I made sure that I was able to have my weapon on my boat. If you take the time to make the proper inquiries, you can go to many of these places with your weapon. In a few places, I had to turn it over to customs until I left port. Once I was ready to head back out to sea, it was returned to me without any issues.
Old 02-01-2013, 16:01   #379
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by praetorean
I actually do have the needed permits to carry in the states that I visit. I do travel outside of US waters, and the last time I went cruising, I made sure that I was able to have my weapon on my boat. If you take the time to make the proper inquiries, you can go to many of these places with your weapon. In a few places, I had to turn it over to customs until I left port. Once I was ready to head back out to sea, it was returned to me without any issues.
Of course this requires careful selection of the firearm. Semi autos or handguns are very very difficult to travel with, but say a mossberg pump is a good international firearm

Dave
Old 02-01-2013, 16:50   #380

A mossberg 500 mariner is what I usually have on board.
Old 02-01-2013, 16:54   #381

And just to let you know. In some countries it is illegal to have a spear gun, much less anything else. But normally, if you declare your weapons, and have a safe on board, they will seal them up on your boat or lock them up in a police station until you leave.
Old 02-01-2013, 16:59   #382
CLOD

Boat: none

I don't really believe there is any benefit to either side of the gun question to continue the debate!

I seriously doubt that an anti-gun on the boat person as ever convinced a gun supporter to change their position. And I'm as equally sure that a pro-gun on the boat person has convinced a non supporter to go out and get one.
Old 02-01-2013, 17:19   #383

Apparently you didn't read my first post in this thread. I basically said that I do choose to carry on my boat. I also said that your safety is your own responsibility and how you achieve that IS UP TO YOU. I have no desire to tell someone else how to do something on their boat. I am simply stating my choices.
Old 05-01-2013, 05:24   #384

Location: New Mexico and our S/V is in Fort Pierce..hope to be there soon and sailing.
Boat: S/V"KAREN", Pearson Alberg 35. an achilles dingy, 2 kyaks.

This is a subject that many of us have given much thought to and followed closely. NWS our individual concerns and thoughts on the subject; I would suggest that all of us consider the plight of Jon Hammer,Jr., the unfortunate young US Marine vet who thought it would be"okay" to take an old bolt action 22 into Mexico as long as he "declared" it at border entry at Metamoras. Jus' sayin'. Think about it.
susanna reiter is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 07:14   #385

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailor_Hutch View Post

I'm reading, here and there, that not even the regular Honduran police will venture into eastern Honduras ...
Mostly true for both the eastern coasts of Honduras and Nicaragua. These areas are officially classified as "autonomous" zones. Originally intended for indigenous populations, but now home to a mixed bag of folks.

Minimal or no official presence in these areas. Certainly don't venture in there and expect pro-active assistance and probably little or no assistance after the fact either. US Embassy staff are officially prohibited from traveling there except for special circumstances.

However, most of the attacks on cruising boats in Honduran waters in recent years have not occurred in these areas. Probably because very few cruising boats venture into the autonomous zones.

Several attacks have occurred around "Punta Sal" which is remote, but not officially part of these autonomous zones. Damn shame, it's a beautiful area.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 05-01-2013, 08:20   #386

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanna reiter View Post
This is a subject that many of us have given much thought to and followed closely. NWS our individual concerns and thoughts on the subject; I would suggest that all of us consider the plight of Jon Hammer,Jr., the unfortunate young US Marine vet who thought it would be"okay" to take an old bolt action 22 into Mexico as long as he "declared" it at border entry at Metamoras. Jus' sayin'. Think about it.
Let me be nice here. The Marine incident. Let me say first I have the deepest respect for our Military and the men and women who serve to protect all of us. I salud you all. BUT come on now I think the Marine probably knew exactly what he was doing here which was bringing a weapon to protect himself on a trip thru latin america all under the guise that the weapon was some sort of antique. Please. I think he rolled the dice and got caught. Regardless, Im very glad he's out!
Old 05-01-2013, 10:42   #387
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by category4jay View Post
Let me be nice here. The Marine incident. Let me say first I have the deepest respect for our Military and the men and women who serve to protect all of us. I salud you all. BUT come on now I think the Marine probably knew exactly what he was doing here which was bringing a weapon to protect himself on a trip thru latin america all under the guise that the weapon was some sort of antique. Please. I think he rolled the dice and got caught. Regardless, Im very glad he's out!
The Guy did not get "caught" he checked the weapon in as he was going thru customs, where they promptly arrested him- he was not hiding it- he was just not educated in the Mexican legal system….now he is
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote Reply
Old 09-01-2013, 21:11   #388

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram View Post
The Guy did not get "caught" he checked the weapon in as he was going thru customs, where they promptly arrested him- he was not hiding it- he was just not educated in the Mexican legal system….now he is
RAM I get ya and respect ya but... you don't always have to "hide" something to be guilty of trying to get away with something. Seriously why would he have any intention of taking an "antique" 410 shotgun with him on his trip thru CA? Come on. Shipping the same weapon to CR would cost very little. I dont think dove hunting was the goal here. Protection of himself and property probably yes!
Old 09-01-2013, 21:12   #389

CA = Central America
CR = Costa Rica
Old 25-09-2015, 06:13   #390
h20

resist

Quote:
Originally Posted by foolishsailor View Post
On Saturday morning, June 2nd at approximately 8:30 AM, my sailing vessel, US flagged Southern Star, registered in Delaware, DL8764AB, was intercepted and boarded by 2 young men, who threatened us with a large pistol and took off money, jewelry and equipment with a value in excess of $11,000, US.

....and more interesting is his summary

2. Although there was no violence with regard this incident, an important reason for that was our immediate “Stockholm” approach. Not every boater will take that tact

I wonder how it would have gone if they had instead tried to defend themselves?

Please read link before commentary...

Honduras, Punta Sal: Sailing Boat Boarded and Robbed by Pirates - June 2012 —
h20 is offline   Reply With Quote Reply