Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-10-2013, 10:05   #106

Re: Guns on Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
Well it seems to me that if the constitution required that then it would also require states to honor and accept same sex marriages from other states and lets say heroin possession permits should any state care to enact one.

I understand the situation is a bit different with guns but down that road lies madness.
Other states are required to accept same sex marriages, the ones that refuse will be litigated into submission (they won't have to offer them per se but they will need to recognize validly married couples from other states).

The states that legalized marijuana are another animal because its still illegal under federal law.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:27   #107

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwmort View Post

Other states are required to accept same sex marriages, the ones that refuse will be litigated into submission (they won't have to offer them per se but they will need to recognize validly married couples from other states).
While that is coming it won't be because reciprocal recognition is enshrined in the constitution is my point.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:34   #108
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Jeepers , it's much simpler in Europe , I just apply for a European firearms passport, and my domestic licensed firearm is legally recognised in the other country, unless there is an outright ban ( which causes me problems bringing handguns from where I have a license to the UK) but outside of that , it's a consistent process.

Dave
Old 28-10-2013, 10:37   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
I've been to that beach. That's near Tel-Aviv.
Old 28-10-2013, 10:44   #110
Nearly an old salt

Seemingly that picture went vital last year

Dave
Old 28-10-2013, 11:00   #111

Boat: wharram tiki 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Seemingly that picture went vital last year

Dave
Vital statistics?
Old 28-10-2013, 11:02   #112
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by salticrak View Post
Vital statistics?
iPhone spell checking will get me every time

Dave
Old 28-10-2013, 11:13   #113

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
THANK you!

I think I got my answer. I need to get a Utah concealed carry license, in additional to my existing Virginia license, and a Maryland license.
Not likely!!!
Old 28-10-2013, 11:17   #114

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
While that is coming it won't be because reciprocal recognition is enshrined in the constitution is my point.
But that is why it is coming...The US Supremes will make states recognize each others marriages under the full faith and credit clause of the US Constitution. (they already do to an extent, my state doesn't have common law marriages but if someone is in a valid common law marriage in another state that does and moves here my state still recognizes it.)
Old 28-10-2013, 14:49   #115
cruiser

Point one-- don't take legal advice from the internet. Even if it comes from a lawyer, he or she isn't your lawyer.

Point two-- whether or not a handgun is legal for a given person at a given place under given circumstances is absolutely, positively a legal question.

Point three- even setting those aside, asking cruisers for gun advice is as "reasonable" as asking gun folks for sailing advice.

The brother in law solution is the wisest post you've made yet.
Old 28-10-2013, 18:05   #116

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
Jeepers , it's much simpler in Europe , I just apply for a European firearms passport, and my domestic licensed firearm is legally recognised in the other country,
Care to post some details on how that gets done?
Old 28-10-2013, 18:16   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by capngeo View Post
FALSE: There is no “Three Step Rule” in Florida Statute… never was either
I'm sorry to have frustrated you with that statement.

I was speaking loosely about the general state of gun laws in Florida when I made the statement about the 3-step rule. I didn't give details. I also didn't give details about the fishing exception that I mentioned in passing. I'll try to improve upon that here.

There is a 3-step rule of thumb that is often used in conjunction with the law about transportation in a conveyance if the status of the firearm does not fit into one of the specifically enumerated acceptable states of packaging, specifically defined as "securely encased". If you fit one of the specifically sited conditions, you are on the legal high ground. If you are outside that, but it still takes 3 steps for you to get to the gun, most judges will still consider it to be securely encased. Snippets from the actual laws I was speaking about are listed below. This applies to Florida only.

You can look up more details here:

Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

790.25Lawful ownership, possession, and use of firearms and other weapons.—
(1) DECLARATION OF POLICY.—The Legislature finds as a matter of public policy and fact that it is necessary to promote firearms safety and to curb and prevent the use of firearms and other weapons in crime and by incompetent persons without prohibiting the lawful use in defense of life, home, and property, and the use by United States or state military organizations, and as otherwise now authorized by law, including the right to use and own firearms for target practice and marksmanship on target practice ranges or other lawful places, and lawful hunting and other lawful purposes.
(3)LAWFUL USES.—The provisions of ss. 790.053 and 790.06 do not apply in the following instances, and, despite such sections, it is lawful for the following persons to own, possess, and lawfully use firearms and other weapons, ammunition, and supplies for lawful purposes:
(h)A person engaged in fishing, camping, or lawful hunting or going to or returning from a fishing, camping, or lawful hunting expedition;

(5) POSSESSION IN PRIVATE CONVEYANCE.—Notwithstanding subsection (2), it is lawful and is not a violation of s. 790.01 for a person 18 years of age or older to possess a concealed firearm or other weapon for self-defense or other lawful purpose within the interior of a private conveyance, without a license, if the firearm or other weapon is securely encased or is otherwise not readily accessible for immediate use. Nothing herein contained prohibits the carrying of a legal firearm other than a handgun anywhere in a private conveyance when such firearm is being carried for a lawful use. Nothing herein contained shall be construed to authorize the carrying of a concealed firearm or other weapon on the person. This subsection shall be liberally construed in favor of the lawful use, ownership, and possession of firearms and other weapons, including lawful self-defense as provided in s. 776.012.

(17) "Securely encased" means in a glove compartment, whether or not locked; snapped in a holster; in a gun case, whether or not locked; in a zippered gun case; or in a closed box or container which requires a lid or cover to be opened for access.

Sorry for the confusion,
Jim
Old 28-10-2013, 18:29   #118

The Florida Concealed Weapon License is valid in more than 30 states. The current list can be found here: http://www.freshfromflorida.com/cont...rocityList.pdf

This is the permit that a resident of any state can get via mail order.
Old 29-10-2013, 03:46   #119

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post

AR is just a current military acronym for "automatic rifle", nothing to do with Armalite. An M14 is a completely different animal than an M16. Of which there are countless variations, military and civilian, with every sort of fire control group imaginable. AR describes all of them. Just like AK describes the countless variants of Kalashnikov.

40 years with the U.S. military... never heard anyone use "AR" as an acronym...

-Chris
Old 29-10-2013, 03:50   #120

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
THANK you!

I think I got my answer. I need to get a Utah concealed carry license, in additional to my existing Virginia license, and a Maryland license.

I think I'll just leave my firearms with my Brother in law... at least then someone can get some use from them.

Just inform yourself about the laws relevant to in-home ownership, to decide whether to take with or not.

The "carry" scenario is a different animal. Research that too, of course, but you'll likely find that keeping firearms on board is not a particular problem -- even here in MD -- even while concealed or open carry varies more broadly from state to state.

-Chris

Tags
Guns