Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-10-2013, 11:08   #16

Re: Guns on Board

A little off topic here but say you were crushing around another country. Even if your gun was in a safe or unloaded put up could you get in serious trouble from that countries government?
Old 24-10-2013, 11:15   #17
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

When you clear into a country, you're required to declare any firearms and/or ammunition on board. Then they will tell you what you need to do--lock them up, turn them in for the duration of your visit, etc.

If you don't declare the weapons and they find out, you're in deep trouble.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:15   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey_jaw View Post
A little off topic here but say you were crushing around another country. Even if your gun was in a safe or unloaded put up could you get in serious trouble from that countries government?
Seriously? Come on! We've just gone through a whole page explaining to the OP that the laws vary from state to state within the U.S., and you have to check each one. So now you're asking us for one, simple answer for every country in the world!?!

Old 24-10-2013, 11:22   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hud3 View Post
When you clear into a country...
You really need to check the laws before you get to the point of trying to clear in. Some countries don't allow any guns under any circumstances, whether you declare them or not. Arrive in one of these nations, and try to declare your guns, and if you are very lucky they will just tell you to turn around and head back out to sea. Moderately lucky, they might confiscate your guns. Not so lucky, you may end up spending time as a guest of the local grey-bar hotel.
Old 24-10-2013, 11:28   #20
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 380, now sold

Mexico comes to mind...
Old 24-10-2013, 13:00   #21

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailpower View Post

Although well intended, I would be very wary of taking this advice without confirmation.
As with all conversations with strangers....

Another note of caution, there may be issues with local laws. NYC and DC come to mind.

However, US east coast, locked away, not operating drunk, no drugs, no crim record... No problem.

The websites in other posts and an email or two to the right person should yield the facts.
Old 24-10-2013, 13:11   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"This is so confusing. "
Which is why there are so many gun-licensing classes mandated these days. Pretty much all of them cover this, along with other basics. You might try an NRA "gun" course to make sure of what you've missed.

Gun ownership is no more confusing than anything else that is regulated, right down to the bottle of penicillin from your pharmacy. There are federal laws, state laws, and local jurisdictional laws, and if you are planning to leave home with any regulated "thing", you need to know those laws for that thing in EVERY VENUE that you will be traveling in.

There are also inexpensive "gunowner's handbooks" that cover the laws for every state in the US, for wandering gunowners.

Confusion and guns is not a good mix. RTFM firsthand, because if someone thinks you are in violation and places you under arrest, "Some guy on the internet told me" won't help you. Although the NRA may provide you with a lawyer, free of charge, with experience in the field. If you're a member and you did your homework.
Old 24-10-2013, 13:13   #23

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus

ZBOSS

Your boat is not like your car or house.

A cruising boat is not treated the same way a car is, when carrying weapons across state lines. In a car, a properly encased, unloaded firearm, put away out of arms reach, should be able to be legally carried THROUGH any state, if you are just passing through and not stopping....and can legally possess that firearm in the state of origin and state of destination. This is NOT true for boats.

LE must have probable cause to enter your home (or an invitation). That is NOT true with a boat (even if it is your home).

The USCG can stop and board your boat without notice or probable cause, at any time. Anywhere. Even on the high seas, in international waters.

If a LE boat wants to stop you and board you, all they need is either state probable cause OR ask ANY USCG officer or boat, to assist.

And do not forget, the USCG have LE authority.

You really need to research and understand what the laws are in ALL of the states and jurisdictions you will be going through. Including MD and DC. Your CCW permit is not recognized in MD, DC or GA.

Long guns have different restrictions than handguns. Semi-auto's tend to be more restricted than other types.

In MD, it may be illegal to even possess a magazine capable of carrying more than 10 rounds (need to check that). In NY...it is SEVEN ROUNDS.

The most universally accepted arms would probably be lever guns and pump shotguns (with magazine capacities of 10 rounds or less). But, again, you must research all local and state laws. And read the link I posted above. The penalties for a mistake can be severe. LE is taking this very seriously these days.

Hope this helps
Old 24-10-2013, 13:20   #24
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

" In a car, a properly encased, unloaded firearm, put away out of arms reach, should be able to be legally carried THROUGH any state, if ..."

Nope. While there's an old USSC case that says travelers are entitled to travel with arms (from stagewagon days) you will now find that some or many states require any firearm to be in a LOCKED COMPARTMENT (glove box, trunk) if there is one in the car, and a locked case if there is no locked compartment available.

"But, again, you must research all local and state laws. And read..."
Precisely.

Although I hear some CongressCritter has once again sponsored some legislation to require all states to honor all firearms carry permits from their sister states, as that pesky old Constitution requires.
Old 24-10-2013, 13:33   #25
cruiser

One thing that I find particularly irritating regarding transporting firearms, is that law enforcement officials in the US don't have to deal with all this nonesense and crap when they travel from place to place, city to city etc. like the rest of us law abiding citizens do. Their qualifications allow them to "carry" in any state as I understand. I recently watched some knucklehead LA policeman try to board a plane with his LOADED GUN in his luggage while not on duty. No problem for him, DHS just took him aside and said "next time be more careful brother" and shook his hand. If it was you or I doing the same, we'd be on the evening news and in jail. Different rules for different folks.
Old 24-10-2013, 13:50   #26

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Just waiting.........
Old 24-10-2013, 14:00   #27
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Just waiting.........
For what , the evening news ?

Dave
Old 24-10-2013, 14:02   #28

On a recent M/C trip from Indiana to Calif., and back. And having a CCP from IN, I used usacarry dot com, and because IL, CO, and CA do not have reciprocity with IN. I called the state police of each one. Was informed to put the main frame of the 9mm in one locked side-bag, and the magazine in the other locked side. And to make sure I immediately informed any LE in these three states if stopped. Kind of sucks, but better than the 5 step law IL used to have.

You with no permit, in a boat, and multi states I would be be making calls to state police of each state of the trip, as well as attempting to reach the highest level Coastie I could, and hope like hell you get people on the other end of the line that really know what's what ! I took names, badge numbers, as well as kept the pertinent phone numbers.

As much as I was looking forward to treating myself to a Kimber 45 for my upcoming sailing adventures I now believe I will go with a 12 Gauge pump.

"The best cure for sea sickness, is to sit under a tree."
~Spike Milligan.
.............."Life's not fair, and people don't act right"~Me.........
Old 24-10-2013, 14:04   #29

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
"This is so confusing. "
Which is why there are so many gun-licensing classes mandated these days. Pretty much all of them cover this, along with other basics. You might try an NRA "gun" course to make sure of what you've missed.

Gun ownership is no more confusing than anything else that is regulated, right down to the bottle of penicillin from your pharmacy. There are federal laws, state laws, and local jurisdictional laws, and if you are planning to leave home with any regulated "thing", you need to know those laws for that thing in EVERY VENUE that you will be traveling in.

There are also inexpensive "gunowner's handbooks" that cover the laws for every state in the US, for wandering gunowners.

Confusion and guns is not a good mix. RTFM firsthand, because if someone thinks you are in violation and places you under arrest, "Some guy on the internet told me" won't help you. Although the NRA may provide you with a lawyer, free of charge, with experience in the field. If you're a member and you did your homework.
I have taken all the NRA courses up till instructor level, my instructor is quite good but even she had questions when it came to a sailing vessel. The legal grey areas between home and vehicle.
Old 24-10-2013, 14:32   #30

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
For what , the evening news ?

Dave
No. For this thread to be closed.

Tags
Guns