Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-10-2016, 18:25   #1

Getting a new life raft into Mexico

I'm going crazy trying to get a new life raft to my boat in PV Mecico. As I understand it, you dont wanna fly with it, driving across the border screams "open me" to the border agents, and there doesn't seem to be anywhere in Mexico to buy one..... I imagine sailing down with it is the reasonable choice, but we aren't coming back any time soon via sea.

Anyone have experience here? Thanks!!

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Jhorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2016, 20:26   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Getting a new life raft into Mexico

I'd try and work out something with someone from the Baja Ha-Ha to bring you one. Even if you have to sail up to La Paz, it's a heck of a lot closer than SD.

Another way to approach it, would be to write to Mexican Customs, and find out what documentation they would need for it to arrive unopened, as opening it would mean it would have to be repacked. Explain clearly and simply. Mexican people are just as reasonable as other people, in some ways more forthcoming, in my experience. If you're a yacht in transit (yate en transito), it may even be duty free.

Ann
Old 10-10-2016, 21:47   #3

Thanks Ann. That would be best case, to find someone in the haha. We currently have a TIPP but are leaving next spring, do you think that would mess up the yacht in transit senario?

Old 10-10-2016, 22:03   #4

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Don't know. Possibly. But it is temporary, just include it in your explanation, if you have to go that route.

Yachtie telegraph is always good.

Ann
Old 11-10-2016, 14:53   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

if you are in san diego , ha h a leaves hellowe'en.
might get a move on to catch em.
sending dhl could work, butyour duty on price over 300 usd will make you SCREAM. yes you DO need to pay duty. tip allows you to bring or send or receive these goods, dows not remove the duty required. over 300 usd is duty. you willnot receive your package without paying it.
by bus from border to wherever you are going-- get someone to receive it for you, again duty,
only duty free way is by boat ... good luck.
you could order online and have shipped to you in mexico--again duty over 300 usd.
ask me how i know all this..hah ah ah ah aha ha after being here 5 .5 years, i better know.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2016, 23:59   #6

Boat: 57' Laurent Giles Yawl

Long ago we drove to La Paz with an outboard in the trunk. I took the "something to declare" lane as we crossed the border and tried to do the paperwork properly. The customs dude looked at us like we were idiots and hinted that we shouldn't have stopped or bothered them about it. With his wink we made a U turn back to America, then another quick U turn, and drove through without declaring anything. This was about eight years ago, and I don't know if it has changed...
Old 12-10-2016, 01:03   #7

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Downwind Marine in San Diego used to, & probably still does, assist cruisers with getting spare parts & gear forwarded/shipped to them in Mexico by a number of means. In addition to helping lots of boats get fitted out & prepared for cruising down there, as well as further afield. So get in touch with them & see what they say. And you might try some of the contacts provided in their downloadable "1st Timer's Guide to Mexico", as well as any that you can dig up via the Baja Ha Ha info packets, & sites.

Much of the reference material above is available via Latitude 38 magazine www.latitude38.com
First Timer's Guide to Mexico https://www.latitude38.com/eBooks/2016/MexFTG-2016.pdf
Baja Ha-Ha Baja Ha-Ha Cruisers Rally: Sailing from San Diego to Cabo San Lucas

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2016, 03:24   #8

Boat: Cheoy Lee Offshore 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by msponer View Post
Long ago we drove to La Paz with an outboard in the trunk. I took the "something to declare" lane as we crossed the border and tried to do the paperwork properly. The customs dude looked at us like we were idiots and hinted that we shouldn't have stopped or bothered them about it. With his wink we made a U turn back to America, then another quick U turn, and drove through without declaring anything. This was about eight years ago, and I don't know if it has changed...
We hit the boarder about 4 am on Sunday. Two lanes, no waiting. We took the nothing to declare lane and got flagged just past the boarder. The guy turned out to be an auto insurance salesman. In our defence, it was dark and we were fatigued. Somehow we missed that he wasn't wearing a uniform.
Old 12-10-2016, 07:01   #9
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

downwind is a sponsor of haha and will fix you up with a boat in haha if you are timely--they leave hellowe'en, sharp. in am if i remember correctly. my friends always return to maz via haha.
try to find patricia belle if you are in san diego and tell em i sent ye. is a HUGE cargo schooner--85 ft overall, black hull. you cannot miss em. or go thru downwind, and they will set you up with someone.
if you go via downwind, please tell chris frost hay from me. that is an awesome place.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2016, 09:50   #10

Thank you everyone there's some great ideas here.

Tags
Mexico