Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 08:41   #46

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Epoxy = Molten Lava in the Eye

There is such a thing as low toxicity Safe-t Poxy, (Hexcel, Epolite). It's sold to aircraft homebuilders. Many of them get alergic reactions from being around so much glue.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 09:18   #47

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

I hope epoxy isn't like catalyzed Polyester. The MEK peroxide can cause long term effects in a couple of parts per million.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 09:58   #48

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpetrel View Post
Now full face respirator, tyvek suit and double gloves even for sanding the stuff, and I also use a vacuum attached to the sander to minimise dust. If I get dust on my clothes they need to go in the bin, as even after washing them multiple times I can't wear them again without itching and a rash starting.
Between the iceberg in your profile pic and your troubles with epoxy, maybe it's time to consider a steel hulled boat!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 11:51   #49

I am a retired firefighter and paramedic. I was continuously assigned to rescue units on the fourth largest and busiest fire department in the US for 32 years. And yes, I am pretty much toast in many ways.

Despite that experience, I have had so many eye injuries I can't even recall them all. But at least I know what to do!

Thinwater has the treatment regimen down exactly right. Period.
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 11:58   #50
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz3 View Post
I am a retired firefighter and paramedic. I was continuously assigned to rescue units on the fourth largest and busiest fire department in the US for 32 years. And yes, I am pretty much toast in many ways.

Despite that experience, I have had so many eye injuries I can't even recall them all. But at least I know what to do!

Thinwater has the treatment regimen down exactly right. Period.
Have you ever had something like mixed epoxy in your eye?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 15:32   #51

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Having worked in the charter business in Greece for 15 years what was evident that we were working with lots of very nasty chemicals.
ANTIFOULING: Contains chemicals to kill marine growth.
ACETONE, brush cleaner for polyester resin, paint etc.,
EPOXY: causes skin irritation, lung irritation.
Two pot paint uses a chemical killed thousands of people in Bopal India.
I've forgotten its name, if used inside a hull it is a killer. ISOCIANATE I think that is how you spell it.
Oxillic acid, highly poisonous, just mix with water then go have your butties!!!
Diesel: causes bad skin irritation.

We employed dozens of kids doing "Europe" trying to make their cash go a little further. No instruction was given to them as to the dangers of power sanding antifouling and using the above.
Shame on us!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 17:12   #52

Thanks for the horror story ! I have a new respect for Epoxy along with my great respect for safety glasses. I always use the ones with the 1.50 cheaters built right in to them. I learned my lesson when I attempted using father-in-laws reversed grinding wheel. It shot a flurry of everything straight into my eye. I thought I lost it, but it healed ok. Believing in glasses for 40 years now and still have both eyes. Glad you lucked out also. This is a very good thread.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 17:58   #53
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

I once had a patient brought in with chemical burns to his eyes... I looked and one pupil was a dark maroon and the other eye was blue and changing colour..

It took me a minute to realise that he was wearing contacts and the plastic was melting... it took two of us to manually remove the contacts and then clean up the burns....

Eyes and testicles... never liked working on either...

weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 20:21   #54
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

^^, Okay thanks for the eyes story now how about the other one...
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 20:49   #55

No, Kenomac, I have somehow managed to avoid that particular catastrophe. Surprisingly enough. Though I have splashed other noxious chemicals in my eyes that had me running for the shower. Brake fluid. Transmission fluid. Paint. And just reading it gave me the willies. Grinders are actually my favorite corneal assault weapons. And the treatment is the same; copious flushing with lukewarm water. Thanks for sharing it with us, because I will remember it!
dgz3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 22:39   #56

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Keno, ouch !
If you get more redness and irritation, a drop or two of lemon juice neutralizes quickly.
Burns a second or two but cleanses thoroughly. Also a conjunctivitis remedy.
Old 25-05-2017, 23:05   #57
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by thruska View Post
Keno, ouch !
If you get more redness and irritation, a drop or two of lemon juice neutralizes quickly.
Burns a second or two but cleanses thoroughly. Also a conjunctivitis remedy.
By the next day 16 hours later, no redness at all, just some lingering irritation from the micro epoxy solids coming out via tears. By the second day back to 100%.

It's truly amazing how much we can abuse our body and it just bounces back.
Old 26-05-2017, 00:23   #58
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via Skype™ to weavis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
^^, Okay thanks for the eyes story now how about the other one...
It involved a farm hand, a horse, an ill timed walk behind the horse, a swift kick, new horse shoes, transportation to the emergency unit of the now in severe pain man and a plastic bag containing one other part I dont like working with... For those who understand the British vernacular... the paramedic, in typical dry humour said as he handed over the bag and singular content... "'ere, I think he dropped a bollock".

Surgery team did a great reconnection..
weavis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 00:53   #59

Boat: Coast 30

I joined Cruisers forum about three years ago after buying a cold molded yacht, and it was very soon after that I read about the white Vinegar for clean up. So I regard it to be one of the most useful tips of information that I have read on here. We must be on our third gallon of it by now and I have lost track of how many brushes it has saved.

Dawn dish liquid seems to be a good follow up cleaner for the vinegar. West system recommends using paint thinner but I have not seen it determined exactly what type. I have found that IF the Vinegar & soap cleaning was not entirely successful: Lacquer thinner is very effective.

last summer I tried to save some spilled material by mixing it and applying it to the Rudder blade. It was obvious that it was out of ratio because it did not set. At that time I read on another member's post about using Ammonia to prep clean a surface. I asked John at west system about this & was told that while the harder smells like ammonia it is not a component of it.

None the less Having already bought a bottle; We found it quite effective in removing the defective material. So If there is a member who is a chemical expert? I would like to read an explanation on this? does it have something to do with the Ph Value.
coastalexplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 01:08   #60
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
I'm going to steal that, if you don't mind.

The few times I've epoxied upside down (hmm, actually three times, now that I think on it), I've worn safety glasses AND a full face shield. And a rag over my hair. Well, the last two times.
I'd be afraid to mess up that shiny new face shield and clean shirt.

Tags
epoxy