Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Health, Safety & Related Gear
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2016, 11:33   #16

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]
Re: Dealing with mosquitos, no-see-ums, and other blood suckers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Thermacell in living quarters? Maybe I'm misremembering, but don't the instructions warn not to use it in enclosed spaces, or indoors at all? I know, some of that applies to every toxin...just taking these kind of warnings more seriously these days.
HelloSailor, You are absolutely correct: Thermacels [and DEET for that matter...] are not for use in occupied close quarters!

A mention was made in this thread about wafting one through bug infested quarters to drive them out. The missing details are: then close the screens again and wait for the area to ventilate before re-entering. This is similar to how some describe spraying an insecticide in [unoccupied] living quarters- which remain unoccupied until the area is fully ventilated...

I will also double-check my blog post to make sure I didn't give the impression for indoor use...

I suspect we may give more benefit-of-the-doubt for common sense on this forum that we might get away with elsewhere... but your point is well taken!

Cheers!

Bill
Old 06-05-2016, 11:53   #17

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailFastTri View Post
The best fly killer IMHO is the Bug-A-Salt. Bug-A-Salt: The Original Salt Gun – Bug-A-Salt
That looks like fun!

Thanks for letting us know...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 07-05-2016, 06:13   #18
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

I am going to try the thermocell for my patio. Thanks for the thread on this topic
Old 07-05-2016, 12:09   #19

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Studies have shown :

CO2 (from your breath) attracts mosquitos.

UV light reflected from the "brighteners & whiteners" in laundry detergent attract black flies & no-seeums.
Old 07-05-2016, 12:34   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Studies have shown :

CO2 (from your breath) attracts mosquitos.

UV light reflected from the "brighteners & whiteners" in laundry detergent attract black flies & no-seeums.
Thanks, Deblen.

The shiny whites is a new one for me. I understood cloth washed in those brighteners could scratch soft plastics, but didn't know they were bug bling...

It is good to know that my clothes will never attract no-see-ums...

I had a similar section on my original blog post regarding what attracts 'them' to us in the first place... [along with several other anecdotal references...]

Quote:
What attracts [mosquitos] to us in the first place?

Mainly heat, carbon dioxide, movement, and certain scents.

Therefore ... if you can discipline yourself to stand very still in an ice cold shower and hold your breath... [no other bug control will be needed...]
Cheers!

Bill
Old 07-05-2016, 12:44   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Unless you prefer to hold your breath for six months and wear dirty cloths...

There are also those mosquito attractors that are about the size of a bbq, and use a propane tank of the same size to produce CO2 and suck the mosquitos into an (electric?) killing chamber. Not small, not cheap, but supposed to be able to make major improvements in large areas.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 13:05   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Unless you prefer to hold your breath for six months and wear dirty cloths...

There are also those mosquito attractors that are about the size of a bbq, and use a propane tank of the same size to produce CO2 and suck the mosquitos into an (electric?) killing chamber. Not small, not cheap, but supposed to be able to make major improvements in large areas.
We found the traps do work well if installed in the correct region of the area one desires to reduce the mosquito population... They attract, trap [via vacuum], and retain until death- purportedly by desiccation...

Since the traps attract, you don't want them too near the area(s) where you are trying to reduce the bug population...

We used them at our house in interior Alaska for years. If deployed early in the mosquito season [we usually still have a small amount of snow on the ground when the first ones hatch...] to kill off the breeders and your summer will be more enjoyable...

I also touched on those in the original blog post I opened this topic with if anyone want's additional information.

May we all itch less this bug season...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 07-05-2016, 13:47   #23

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Just skin seems to attract no-see-ums just fine! However the whites may attract them as well--haven't experienced that, but I can say for sure that mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors. Therefore, for daytime wear, I wear light khaki, so I can see and dispatch them.

I really like the pyrethrins soak for clothing. We also made a cockpit net out of mosquito bed netting, which we treated with pyrethrins. It is rather satisfying to see flies come towards it, land, and fall off, dead. Also satisfying is knowing you're not going to get vectored on all those diseases we don't want to get.

Ann
Old 07-05-2016, 14:02   #24

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post
Thanks, Deblen.

The shiny whites is a new one for me. I understood cloth washed in those brighteners could scratch soft plastics, but didn't know they were bug bling...

It is good to know that my clothes will never attract no-see-ums...

I had a similar section on my original blog post regarding what attracts 'them' to us in the first place... [along with several other anecdotal references...]

Cheers!

Bill
They sell UV killer detergents for hunting. It is basically plain soap with no "brighteners & whiteners" that reflect UV light in it
UV Killer & Sport Wash Combo

Cheers/ Len
Old 07-05-2016, 14:10   #25

Boat: 1983 Nauticat 43, Hull 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Just skin seems to attract no-see-ums just fine! However the whites may attract them as well--haven't experienced that, but I can say for sure that mosquitoes are attracted to dark colors. Therefore, for daytime wear, I wear light khaki, so I can see and dispatch them.

Ann
Okay, I just have to say it, you SEE no-see-ums?
dkroar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 09:05   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
They sell UV killer detergents for hunting. It is basically plain soap with no "brighteners & whiteners" that reflect UV light in it
UV Killer & Sport Wash Combo

Cheers/ Len
Thanks, Len,

Good to know...

Thankfully our hunting seasons in the northern regions typically occur after the bug seasons... but not always...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-05-2016, 09:12   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
As an alternative to Deet, I make an infusion of Labrador tea, yarrow, and mint (all gathered locally here in SE Alaska) in vinegar. I don't think it makes me bear bait since it has a woodsy aroma (so far, so good, any way). At least it doesn't melt my rain gear, and it's very effective. Not that I'd venture out without my bug net...!
Hi Cimarron,

It sounds like you found something that works for you and that you can make yourself... Hard to beat that...

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-05-2016, 09:22   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post

I really like the pyrethrins soak for clothing. We also made a cockpit net out of mosquito bed netting, which we treated with pyrethrins. It is rather satisfying to see flies come towards it, land, and fall off, dead. Also satisfying is knowing you're not going to get vectored on all those diseases we don't want to get.

Ann
Hi Ann,

Treated netting is a great solution. Thanks for mentioning that and pyrethrins- which are organic and far less irritating to we humans than other options... [e.g., DEET...]

We also pre-treat our tents [screens and around the base] with pyrethrin spray and carry some spray when camping using a similar technique to that you describe...

In days of old we used to have loose fitting outer garments made of absorbent netting. One soaked it in the repellent du jour and put it on- the goal to prevent contact with the wearer's skin and repel the bugs. This concept is similar, but it still melted the rain gear if volatile repellents were used [e.g., DEET...]

Cheers!

Bill
Old 08-05-2016, 09:25   #29

Boat: 1976 Downeast 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by wrwakefield View Post

It sounds like you found something that works for you and that you can make yourself... Hard to beat that...
One nice thing is if you find yourself ashore without your bug dope when the hoards hit, just head to any muskeg and mash some leaves. I've been eyeing those Canadian bug shirts, and with your endorsement, just bought a couple. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 08-05-2016, 10:32   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cimarron View Post
One nice thing is if you find yourself ashore without your bug dope when the hoards hit, just head to any muskeg and mash some leaves. I've been eyeing those Canadian bug shirts, and with your endorsement, just bought a couple. Thanks for the recommendation!
Cimarron,

That is good to know about good ole muskeg... At least it is good for something...

I hope you enjoy your bug shirts as much as we do. They have held up well for us over the years, and passed the ultimate test: camping at Wonder Lake near the base of Denali.

For stowing, they fold inside out and stuff into a zippered pocket built into the front of the shirt. Very nifty design.

Cheers!

Bill