Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-01-2010, 14:58   #61

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpemb7 View Post
On second thoughts. This is just too good LOL !

And that wasn't one of those little ones that we all have to be legal.

I have read a bunch of these threads over the years.

Entertaining AND informative.
Old 27-01-2010, 21:17   #62

Quote:
I met a guy once who had made a flame thrower out of a scuba tank, kerosene and tar. His plan was to set the sea alight around his boat if anyone tried to board. Quite frankly, if your level of fear is that high you should be doing something else.

Jim
Maybe the nut case actually looked forward to using that flame thrower rather than being fearful. I've known a few.
Old 28-01-2010, 00:17   #63

Boat: Swan 56
Are these posts for real, or am I just not picking up on the sarcasm?

When the guns, bombs, electric fences and other methods of trying to kill total strangers in a less fortunate position than yourself fails, try this approach:

Take a handful of noodle packets, a couple of tins of meat (spam, corned beef) some cheap rum, some cold cokes, maybe some beers and a couple of packets of cigarettes and put into a plastic bin bag and tie tightly. Toss the bag into the water in the general direction of the boat, point and smile.

Any kind of menacing mood or ill intent is diffused in a second.

The cost in this part of the world is less than 10USD - the cheapest and most effective security system on the market
Old 28-01-2010, 08:04   #64

Boat: Harstad 31' (32' LOD) Serendipity
Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
Quote:
Originally Posted by bewitched View Post

When the guns, bombs, electric fences and other methods of trying to kill total strangers in a less fortunate position than yourself fails, try this approach:

Take a handful of noodle packets, a couple of tins of meat (spam, corned beef) some cheap rum, some cold cokes, maybe some beers and a couple of packets of cigarettes and put into a plastic bin bag and tie tightly. Toss the bag into the water in the general direction of the boat, point and smile.

The cost in this part of the world is less than 10USD - the cheapest and most effective security system on the market
Yea, let's throw them food and wait and see if they are going to still board us and kill us. When it comes to my family I think I owe them the position of protecting them first.

I would prefer not to replace the name "pirate" with "less fortunate". If I cruise in certain parts of the world, I am not going onto their land and threatening them, and they do not have the right to threaten me. I don't think that hunger gives anyone the right to steal, kidnap, or kill, anyone. If it did, then perhaps we can empty our prisons of quite a few people that are in there without cause. Put them back on the streets where they can visit us in our homes.

I reiterate; you owe it to your spouse/family to do your best to protect them in a bad situation. Error on the side of safety. Your conscience would remind you of that later, if you did not act.
Old 28-01-2010, 10:27   #65

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
Yea, let's throw them food and wait and see if they are going to still board us and kill us. When it comes to my family I think I owe them the position of protecting them first.

I would prefer not to replace the name "pirate" with "less fortunate". If I cruise in certain parts of the world, I am not going onto their land and threatening them, and they do not have the right to threaten me. I don't think that hunger gives anyone the right to steal, kidnap, or kill, anyone. If it did, then perhaps we can empty our prisons of quite a few people that are in there without cause. Put them back on the streets where they can visit us in our homes.

I reiterate; you owe it to your spouse/family to do your best to protect them in a bad situation. Error on the side of safety. Your conscience would remind you of that later, if you did not act.
Ditto. Anyone forcing entry or boarding stops being "less fortunate" and acquires the title "burglar" or "pirate". If you ASK, you shall receive. If you try to TAKE, your title just became "target".

JMO
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 28-01-2010, 11:03   #66

Send a message via ICQ to tomperanteau Send a message via AIM to tomperanteau Send a message via MSN to tomperanteau Send a message via Yahoo to tomperanteau Send a message via Skype™ to tomperanteau
And when I think of the thousands of years that these pirating nations have had to better themselves, and they still war and enslave each other. Then I think of the fact that we have been around only hundreds of years and built ourselves up to the point we have, I cringe at the thought that these pirates are so lazy that they become thieves and want to come take from me if I wish to sail through certain international waters. They need to spend their energies fixing their problems and not stealing and murdering others.

Whew, okay, off my soap box.
Old 28-01-2010, 12:15   #67

Boat: Transworld Formosa 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpex View Post
Firstly, Jim, piracy in NZ or OZ is, to my knowledge, unheard off. Sure, boat burglary is a regular occurrence.

But I'm not talking about NZ or OZ, or simple burglary. I'm talking about repelling boarders while one is aboard. That happens in areas where the rule of law is just a tad less considered than in the lands mention. To mention a few places. The South China sea, anywhere near Aden. The West African coast. Many parts of South America. The Coral Sea and anywhere near Indonesia. The folk who do piracy in such areas do not spend most of the day watching soaps on TV then hive off for a quick pirating expedition. They are serious, careless, often starving folk who will cut your throat for tuppence.

In NZ or OZ you could get quite righteous and tell the nasties that if they don't get off your boat you'll call the cops and expect them to leave. But in lands where the really bad stuff happens, the assailants could easily be the cops.

But hey. You have your right to your opinion.
I've always been partial to weapons, but last time I was on this site everyone pooh poohed them

Then again, I'm one of those guys who has spent his life in the military and know several skills including (but not limited to) fighting at close quarters with a knife (my favorite is the Bowie knife) and swords. Seems rather appropriate for a boat, doesn't it?

And, I can use a simple stick in the same way I can a sword. Then there's all the suggestions about spray cans with flammable contents - which, for the record are not new things for people to use.

And pole arms and pikes are pretty cool too if someone's approaching in an inflatable dingy and they aren't armed with a firearm....

If you survive today, tomorrow will be better.
Old 28-01-2010, 15:31   #68

Boat: 1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch "Lady Catherine II", 1973 Bristol 34 - "Our Baby"(RIP), Catalina 22
Amazing what you can do with a boat hook. Just mind the rigging, tho....
and peace and tranquility reign forever!
1969 Morgan 40 Cruising Ketch
Old 28-01-2010, 15:45   #69

Quote:

We have family in Saigon and spend a lot of time there. If you tossed a bag full of goodies in the water there, you could start a riot. Helping folks is a good thing, but I will have to agree with other posters that when you trespass, you become a trespasser with unknown intent and take on all that such status carries with it.
Old 28-01-2010, 19:50   #70

Boat: FP Lavezzi 40 / Hatteras 48
Why not just avoid places that scare you? It can't be much fun visiting some violence prone hell-hole? Even if you do have a massive arsenal.

Statistically, you are far more likely to drown in your car than to die at the hands of pirates.

Personally, I worry far more about third world driving habits - I've taken too many rides with a taxi driving speed merchant piloting some brakeless clapped out vehicle. Now that's something to worry about.
Old 28-01-2010, 20:00   #71

The tossing a bag full of goodies has worked for me on many occasions when fishermen and the like have been a bit too 'inquisitive'.

Once in the Sulu Sea I was approached by a boat and I could see two automatic weapons - I don't know what weapons I couldn't see - it worked then.

I assummed at the time these guys were MILF (who target westerners for hostage taking). They were certainly not oportunistic fishermen. If I had a gun and started shooting at them, would I be here now? I doubt it.

Everyone must make their own choice as to how you handle any situation, violence is just one option. In my view it is a last resort rather than my first response.
Old 28-01-2010, 20:27   #72
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"
Quote:
I met some people once who sailed the Pacific with a monkey on board. In many Asian cultures the monkey is revered or feared as an ancestral being. BTW, sure, scared the sh..t out of me when I climbed on board.

Jim
This is the monkey you need:

Old 28-01-2010, 21:34   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by muskoka View Post
Why not just avoid places that scare you? It can't be much fun visiting some violence prone hell-hole? Even if you do have a massive arsenal.

Statistically, you are far more likely to drown in your car than to die at the hands of pirates.

Personally, I worry far more about third world driving habits - I've taken too many rides with a taxi driving speed merchant piloting some brakeless clapped out vehicle. Now that's something to worry about.
LOL! Where did you get your statistics, or did you just make them up for the sake of a post? Please, sight your sources.

Your argument is nonsensical in its nature. You talk about driving habits in the same vain as pirates in waters attempting to illegally board boats. I would guess that you are being sarcastic, else you make no sense. You compare pirates boarding, a real threat in certain parts of the world that we are discussing, with taxi drivers driving habits? The level of threat is hardly comparable. I would suggest that you not make light of the dangers on the high seas. There are many here that are new and are learning by what we say. Would you want to give them a false sense of security by your levity?
Old 28-01-2010, 21:41   #74

Quote:
The tossing a bag full of goodies has worked for me on many occasions when fishermen and the like have been a bit too 'inquisitive'.

Once in the Sulu Sea I was approached by a boat and I could see two automatic weapons - I don't know what weapons I couldn't see - it worked then.

I assummed at the time these guys were MILF (who target westerners for hostage taking). They were certainly not oportunistic fishermen. If I had a gun and started shooting at them, would I be here now? I doubt it.

Everyone must make their own choice as to how you handle any situation, violence is just one option. In my view it is a last resort rather than my first response.
I'm sure that you have stayed off many a pirates intent on taking you hostage, by "tossing a bag full of goodies". That is why the tankers that are taken hostage in unfriendly waters always carry a "bag full of goodies" with them. It always works for them, too, right? No need for a stinger, or a rifle, just throw them a "bag full of goodies". Just what our U.S. Navy does to take care of the problem. No need for snipers to take out the pirates before the kill hostages, we have a new tactic now!
Old 28-01-2010, 22:06   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomperanteau View Post
I'm sure that you have stayed off many a pirates intent on taking you hostage, by "tossing a bag full of goodies". That is why the tankers that are taken hostage in unfriendly waters always carry a "bag full of goodies" with them. It always works for them, too, right? No need for a stinger, or a rifle, just throw them a "bag full of goodies". Just what our U.S. Navy does to take care of the problem. No need for snipers to take out the pirates before the kill hostages, we have a new tactic now!
I don't think I've stayed off any pirates - I've certainly diffused a few situations with opportunists but I've never stopped a group of people whose living is made by boarding ships illegally. I don't think I could - even with a gun.

I don't consider opportunists to fall under the category of 'pirate' by the way - even though technically they may be committing the crime - the situation is very different.

The tankers strategy is full lighting and manned firehoses to sink approaching boats. I don't know how many carry guns, I doubt it is very many.

I think Muskoka makes a good point - if you feel so threatened that you feel need to take such drastic measures, its probably better that you go somewhere you find less threatening.
Closed Thread