Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2015, 09:14   #16

Boat: Marinette Marine U.S. Navy Landing Craft conversion 50'
Re: anti-slip companionway step pad ideas

Home Depot has several products the will work well....
Exercise & Gym Flooring - Flooring -Â*The Home Depot
Jmahoney266 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 10:33   #17

Boat: 2010 Andrews 28

I just went through the same analysis and chose the Treadmaster pads for my 4 steps. Treadmaster has recd the highest rating by users.
silversailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 12:28   #18

Location: Placida FL on the hard for now real nice place cheep rent .
Boat: 78 Laguna ,Windrose 24'

I bought 4" x 25' white non-skid tape ( Five oceans brand ) $20.00 off xbey . Look around a little you'll find something that won't break the bank .
sailersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2015, 17:17   #19

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

Treadmaster has consistently been rated the best, or near it, for decades. The downside is that it can be a bit harsh on bare feet; I wouldn't use it for that reason. For non-skid on the top of the varnished bowsprit I use International's non-skid additive (polymeric spheres) mixed into varnish for the last layer on the top - it works great and is nearly invisible. Previously I used the 3M tape which also worked very well but hid from view the leaks under the varnish (a bit like painting a wooden spar - bad idea); for the companionway it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 04:50   #20

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarinaPDX View Post
Treadmaster has consistently been rated the best, or near it, for decades. The downside is that it can be a bit harsh on bare feet; I wouldn't use it for that reason. For non-skid on the top of the varnished bowsprit I use International's non-skid additive (polymeric spheres) mixed into varnish for the last layer on the top - it works great and is nearly invisible. Previously I used the 3M tape which also worked very well but hid from view the leaks under the varnish (a bit like painting a wooden spar - bad idea); for the companionway it probably wouldn't be an issue.

Greg
I'm curious as to what you're basing your statement about Treadmaster vs. bare feet statement on. Could you be kind enough to extrapolate on this a bit please. As I've been around the stuff for 30yrs, & it having such a characteristic has never crossed my mind.

I would, & have, recommended the stuff to all manner of sailors. In addition to the several square yards of it which I keep in my spares kit.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2015, 17:31   #21

Boat: 31' Cape George Cutter

I'm basing it on my personal experience walking on Treadmaster with my own bare feet, on other peoples' boats. Now I make no claim to having heavily calloused feet; unlike others I have known I do not walk around town barefoot. So it is fair to say YMMV. But some of us find it uncomfortable so the OP should be aware and check for that possibility himself. I should note that I am talking about the original diamond pattern; IIRC Treadmaster also has a less aggressive pattern.

I would add that I put on a non-skid made of silica blasting sand and gelcoat, which worked extremely well when new but was also effective at scraping skin off in falls. Now the sharp points are worn off and it is not a very good non-skid but it is hell on wheels to remove. Not recommended by me...

Greg
CarinaPDX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:31   #22
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

By the way-
I have no relation with them but this one vendor has an incredibly wide range of anti-slip tapes and coatings available:

Non Slip Tape Anti Skid Adhesive

including a lot from 3M, one of which is a wide tape designed for BARE FEET as in bathtubs and similar areas.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2015, 09:51   #23

Boat: Monk 36

I find this stuff to be easier to apply and works well. Anti-skid epoxy with grit spray.
ANTI SKID EPOXY SPRAY ALL PURPOSE CLEAR 11 OZ 749451
dpddj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
companionway