Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 00:20   #1
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
What's on Your Wrist?

I am interested in getting a watch more attuned to sailing. I wear a cheap casio digital or my regular Swiss Army analog most of the time.

In reasearching I have seen some common replies about what folks are wearing.

Low End
Timex Ironman
Cheap Casio

Middle
Muusto Performance
Ronstan - sold under various names including Gill
Suunto Regattta

Conspicuous Consumption
Sieko Velatura
Sailhawk

What I think I'd Like

Here are the features that I think would be useful for me. I mainly cruise but I also race club races and J24s.

Normal features - Time, date, alarm etc.
Start Timer - 5-4-1-start with auto timer start after countdown.
Rotating compass bezel - This is nice for course orientation, I think
Built in compass

I like the Suunto Regatta but I have heard it is inrealiable and maybe not made well.

I also like the Suunto M3 because of the bigger numbers on it.

I like the Ronstan ClearStart series but they don't have the compass bezel.

So thoughts? Opinions?
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 00:28   #2

Location: Home port: San Diego, California. Currently in Europe.
Boat: Hallberg-Rassy 40
I have the Suunto X-Lander (compass & Barometric) and it's still working well after 4 years (new battery at 2 years).
Old 11-09-2008, 00:34   #3

Boat: now floating easy37
hair freckles
sean
northerncat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 04:53   #4

watch

I have a Suunto, eats batteries, battery is expensive and hard to find, so it ended up in drawer.
I like the solar powered Citizen's, just about anything you desire on e-bay at half of retail. Put them in a drawer, they go to sleep until you need them. Very accurate.
phillip
silver heels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:34   #5

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Have had nearly everything over the years from an Omega Seamaster (gave up on it, needed cleaning every couple of years at a terrible cost) to Casio digitals. Had a Casio analog(200m water resist) for years but the battery always ran out when I was cruising and far from replacements. Have now found what I think is the perfect reasonably priced watch -- Citizen Titanium Eco Drive, light, analog, 200m water resist. No need for batteries, very accurate, good bezel which I use all the time for timing things. Sounds like a commercial but, as i said, I 've had a few watches in my time and this is my favourite.
Old 11-09-2008, 05:43   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I don't race so don't need many features. I need a watch that is accurate, easy to read, & waterproof.

I have a Tag Heuer sport/dive watch, a gift from a previous employer. I would never spend that much myself, at least now that I am retired. I like the ratcheting bezel for timing legs of a voyage or checking how long it is until the next bridge opening when headed down the ICW.

I still set the bezel at the start of a dive even though I now have a computer that tracks everything.

My back up is a Casio analog/digital combo. It has a stop watch, more precise, but harder to read quickly than a bezel.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:07   #7

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
If one of the choices is Conspicuous Consumption, then I am not sure what the question is, you have your answer.

Anyway...I wear a Steinhart/Debaufre GMT automatic dive watch. It has a 21 jewel swiss automatic movement that is highly accurate (1-2sec/day) and is waterproof to 300m. It has a second hour hand that can be set independently of the primary hour hand, that I keep on UCT. I do all coordinating with other sailors and Ham's in UCT, so it is most convenient.

Avier and Invicta also make very good watches with automatice swiss movements (some 25 jewel ETA) for the price. The less expensive ones are not swiss made, but swiss parts...not bad.

I have several watches, including Seiko dive watches, the Suunto's and Citizen eco-drive's. Citizen eco-drives are my next favorite choice. I no longer prefer watches that run on batteries. You might check out the Citizen Nighthawk, hard to find, but not expensive and has a GMT function.

If you are at all concerned with race start countdown's, I would get a Citizen with an LCD timer function...I believe there are some eco-drive unit's that have that.

Hope this helps.

John
John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:15   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Drake View Post

Anyway...I wear a Steinhart/Debaufre GMT automatic dive watch. It has a 21 jewel swiss automatic movement that is highly accurate (1-2sec/day) and is waterproof to 300m.
John

John,

Although 1-2 secs/per day might get a Swiss Chronometer rating, it cannot be said to be highly accurate by todays quartz standards. A $10 quartz digital will most likely be more accurate than those expensive Swiss mechanical movement watches.
Old 11-09-2008, 06:43   #9

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38, S/V Invictus
True....but.... a swiss watch is form and function. And while no one would ever compare me to James Bond, it is some comfort to know we both share the same taste in watches....

And I AM single.

John Drake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:52   #10

Boat: 83 27' hunter "SALTY DAWG"
i dont wear it for sailing reasons but i have a casio gshock. it has solar power, sleep mode, 4 alarms, stop watch, 200 m wp, its supposed to be shock proof and auto time update from the national broadcast. i wear it becuase i have not broken it yet
scotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 07:53   #11

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS
The chief of security at the Mexico City consulate office once asked me to hold up my left hand at a gathering of visiting folks. It was because I was the only person in the room with a cheap, obviously "plastic" wristwatch. He then held up his own, revealing the same. The lesson: Bad guys use wristwatches as indicators of prospective targets. No money equals plastic watch. Ergo....
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:15   #12

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerncat View Post
hair freckles
sean

Totally Agree!!!! When I'm out on the boat... the VERY LAST thing I want to know is what time it is. Work by circadian rhythm not the clock.

If the need arises to actually know what time it is I have the trusty Casio on the nav table, and a back up wall mounted clock and my Cell phones and radio.

I intentionally avoid the watch at every opportunity. My Sailing is about kicking back not a time clock event.

ALSO: Murphy's Law... the more expensive a watch is... the faster it is lost, broken or stolen.... Casio forever You will never get rolled for it, even on a dark night!!!
Old 11-09-2008, 08:26   #13

Boat: Catalina 42: Quetzalcoatl
Yes, I've heard the "cheap quartz digital vs expensive mechanical" argument before, but it's a bit like the argument about buying the cheapest sailboat you can find because it is, after all, still a "sailboat"....
On me: 26-year-old mechanical Rolex.....still keeping time after all these years. (Wonder how many times I would've had to replace those cheap watches?)
Spammy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:35   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: PDQ 36 & Atlantic 42
Casio makes a watch with racing countdown timer, for something less than $40, but its not available on the US market.
sandy daugherty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 08:41   #15

Boat: CAL 3-46
Send a message via AIM to Latitude9.5
i've never owned a watch
Latitude9.5 is offline   Reply With Quote