Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 07:31   #1

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Source for Large C-MAP Chart Sets ?

We need to stock up on charts for our new Simrad NX40 NavStation.

Rather than buying individual C-MAP cards we'd prefer to but them in bulk if that gives us any savings, like all of the Pacific, or all of the Atlantic.

I assume that the format is proprietary so one can not download and write cards as needed.

Suggestions ?

Thanks,

-Sven
Old 14-09-2010, 08:17   #2

Boat: Shuttlecat 32
Just having done the research as well. Not sure if this is the answer you want, but the best deal is:

For MAX-Pro
The World - $12,999 (each) AA-A000 WORLD
RENTAL - $3,899 USD
RENEWAL - $3,899 USD

Attached are the various levels and pricing for the US. Can be found less expensive at various outlets, but not by much.

The website is Jeppesen – Transforming the Way the World Moves but I find it is very buggy to use for me.

Regards,
Charles
Attached Files
File Type: pdf NT+_June09_ReleasePriceList.pdf (111.1 KB, 78 views)
File Type: pdf MAX_June09_ReleasePrice_List.pdf (91.9 KB, 64 views)
File Type: pdf C-MapMaxProCatalog.pdf (321.5 KB, 99 views)
Old 14-09-2010, 08:43   #3
Eternal Member

Boat: Vancouver 36 cutter????
Send a message via Skype™ to capt_douglas
Rather than buy the world, which has a good chance of going out of date before you use the charts, you might consider getting large area charts for the part of the world you're cruising.

I don't know the particulars about renting charts, but that may be the way to go. I don't think smaller sections of the world would be anywhere as much as the entire world.
Old 14-09-2010, 09:06   #4

Charles,

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipofools View Post
Just having done the research as well. Not sure if this is the answer you want, but the best deal is:
I guess it depends on my definition of "want"

It was indeed the information I was looking for. When you did your search did you get a feel for how much of savings it was to get the exorbitant set compared to if you had gotten it in pieces ?

Douglas,

Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_douglas View Post
Rather than buy the world, which has a good chance of going out of date before you use the charts, you might consider getting large area charts for the part of the world you're cruising.
I should post a separate thread on the best long term cruising chart buying strategy because you are of course right. There is also the need to get paper charts for any place you actually go as reliance on electronic charts alone could be suicidal. An additional consideration is how long will the electronic chart format be supported and will we be able to buy the needed C-MAP charts 5-10 years from now when we reach a new area ?

Thanks for the inputs,

-Sven
Old 14-09-2010, 11:03   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SvenG View Post
Charles,

I guess it depends on my definition of "want"

It was indeed the information I was looking for. When you did your search did you get a feel for how much of savings it was to get the exorbitant set compared to if you had gotten it in pieces ?

-Sven
I struggle with the decision. We are looking at a Simrad NSE12, and I am thinking that with the base maps, and buying strategic sections, I should be good. Looking at the cost of ENC version I can save some money if I am willing to not have the full details on the chartplotter, and have to resort to the computer in some situations.

I am guessing that the next level of integration of electronics, will include the ability to download charts dynamically to your device when you need them . . .

Cheers
Old 14-09-2010, 13:56   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
I am guessing that the next level of integration of electronics, will include the ability to download charts dynamically to your device when you need them
maybe, will not make them any cheaper though

Dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 23:01   #7

Hi Charles,

Quote:
For MAX-Pro
The World - $12,999 (each) AA-A000 WORLD
I haven't found where you found that price but I did go look at the Max Megawide SD Card prices at Defender. The price for huge swaths like the one shown at Jeppesen Marine or at Jeppesen Marine is less than $250 ea. per Max MegaWide

I haven't gone through to see how many MW cards like that one would have to buy to cover the whole world but I don't see how it could be 50 which is what would be needed to give a sum of around $13,000. Maybe there aren't MW cards covering the whole Earth ?

I'm definitely not disputing your figures or research, I'm just trying to make sense of the numbers.

BTW, looking at the paper charts covered by the MW SD Cards (listed at the bottom of the Jeppesen pages) shows a staggering number that I would assume will cost an absolute fortune as well as make any on board ballast obsolete !

-Sven
Old 15-09-2010, 07:18   #8

Quote:
I haven't gone through to see how many MW cards like that one would have to buy to cover the whole world but I don't see how it could be 50 which is what would be needed to give a sum of around $13,000.
Last night I took the time (slow Jeppesen site !) to manually search for full coverage using Megawide charts and came up with 14 cards needed at ~$240 each (Defender just confirmed that the CD card they are selling is the one listed on the Jeppesen site). That would not cover the Antarctic, the Russian arctic coast or inland lakes anywhere, but I think it covers everywhere else:

Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine
Jeppesen Marine

The total price for that should be about $3,400. I assume the Max Megawide charts have the full resolution information ?

-Sven
Old 15-09-2010, 07:26   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
maybe, will not make them any cheaper though

Dave
Not sure about that. All we need to do is convince google that it is a good idea to sell advertising with it, and they will make it available for free . . .
Old 15-09-2010, 07:29   #10

Quote:
Last night I took the time (slow Jeppesen site !) to manually search for full coverage using Megawide charts and came up with 14 cards needed at ~$240 each (Defender just confirmed that the CD card they are selling is the one listed on the Jeppesen site). That would not cover the Antarctic, the Russian arctic coast or inland lakes anywhere, but I think it covers everywhere else:

- snip-

The total price for that should be about $3,400. I assume the Max Megawide charts have the full resolution information ?

-Sven
Sven,

I can call Jeppesen and ask them questions for you. I know a guy in tech support that I worked with on a chartplotter firmware upgrade who should be able to give me a better understanding based on your needs. Will report back later this week or early next.

Cheers
Old 01-10-2010, 11:48   #11

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
SvenG..

You'd be cheaper to buy a small robust laptop plus world-wide CM93 charts.
Old 01-10-2010, 14:38   #12
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
I really have a problem with promoting these pirated charts. Cruisersforum should not be seen to be supporting an illegal activity. CM93 charts are also mostly out of date as far as im aware.

think about it 3400 dollars ant bad for worldwide coverage, it would cost a fortune to buy these as paper charts.

dave
goboatingnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 15:23   #13

Boat: (Ex) Alu. 60' yacht-"Eight Bells"
Send a message via Skype™ to sinbad7
OH DEAR!!
Old 02-10-2010, 01:52   #14

Quote:
I can call Jeppesen and ask them questions for you. I know a guy in tech support that I worked with on a chartplotter firmware upgrade who should be able to give me a better understanding based on your needs.
If you do talk to him could you find out if there really is a hole in the coverage of the MaxWide charts ? Maybe the MW overview maps are really inaccurate but it looks like none of them cover the dip over the Solomon Islands shown for MW19. It seems really odd that that particular rectangular area should be uncovered when the rest of the world is covered and the charts overlap everywhere else.

-Sven
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MW19.gif
Views:	187
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	19752  
Old 03-10-2010, 15:32   #15

Boat: Hanse 445 - 2012
Send a message via Skype™ to James Baines
To: GoBoatingNow:

With respect, the folks who ask questions on this site are generally looking for help and advice. Whilst I accept that it is reasonable and responsible for you to point out to them that there may be copywrite issues with regard to their questions and the answers provided to those questions, I must ask YOU if it is not equally reasonable to accept that these folks are generally decent and law abiding folks and that given the choices available to them, that they will generally make the right choice?
Not all of us need the "Jesus" input to allow us to make the right choices, despite our seemingly lack of understanding of copywrite law, we somehow seem to be able to muddle through our day to day lives without getting arrested...
Just a thought for you to bear in mind,
James
James Baines is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map