Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-11-2009, 09:59   #1

Boat: Vagabond 47
Raymarine NMEA Interface to USB

I just installed a new computer on board and of course it doesn't have a d9 port to connect my raymarine nav300 to it. I have tried using the usb to d9 plug and installed the driver but I can't get it to communicate to my maptech software. Does anyone know if this can be done?
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 10:27   #2
Obsfucator, Second Class

Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Quote:
Originally Posted by captden View Post
I just installed a new computer on board and of course it doesn't have a d9 port to connect my raymarine nav300 to it. I have tried using the usb to d9 plug and installed the driver but I can't get it to communicate to my maptech software. Does anyone know if this can be done?
My Garmin to Nobeltec+OpenCPN setup uses a DB9-USB converter. MANY people do it this way. A lot of them have problems. Almost always they can be fairly easily resolved.

I am not familiar with your GPS or Nav software, but when using a DB9-USB converter, the problem is almost always figuring out which virtual serial port it is assigned to.

Each time you plug it in, if you use a different USB port, most drivers will assign it to a different serial port. Also, many software packages by defualt only look at the lower number ports, while the virtual port number assigned may be above that range.

Depending on your OS, the methods will be different, but you would do the equivalent of this: With the GPS unplugged from the USB pot, go into hardware manager and look for the serial ports that are assigned. Then plug the GPS in and wait for it to auto-config. A new port should show up. That should be the GPS. Then go into the software and configure it to look at that port.

Other things to look at is make sure the GPS and software are set for the same protocol (probably NMEA) and same transmission rate.

If you still have problems, maybe someone who has more experience with these situations can help.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 12:02   #3

Boat: Koopmans, 33 ft cutter
Doesn't Raymarine use Seatalk? If that's the case you probably need a converter (e.g. Raymarine E85001, about $160)to get the NMEA signal Maptech needs.
Klaas
Zoef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 13:09   #4

Boat: a sailing boat
Nej, I think Ray puts out both. But I did have problem getting data into it - it has to be in the 'listening' mode from menu.

Out, go to menu and put out NMEA then make sure you cables are OK, use the Serial to USB and off you go.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 14:43   #5

Boat: Vagabond 47
Thanks Dan that did it. I spent hours trying to get it to work. With your info it took 5 mins.

Klass I just purchased the pc/seatalk interface I'll be using that to try to get the autopilot to communicate with the maptech software next spring. I'll let you all know how that works out.

This list is incredable, I only hope I can help out as much as all you have helped me
Captden
captden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 15:04   #6

Boat: Islander Yachts Corp, Bahamas 30 shoal draft 4 ft
Send a message via MSN to casique8
I had that problem and u have to buy a plug that converts the D9 to USB port this comes with a CD to make u'r computer accept the devise, then u open the navigation program to find the GPS to communicate and that's all.

Tags
nmea, raymarine