Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2011, 11:50   #1
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter / GPS

HI Everyone,

I am wondering sailors thoughts on an Ipad 2 as my main GPS/chartplotter.

Some considerations or things about me:

*I have a backup handheld Garmin color. (charged by solar)

*I do 90% of my navigation by paper charts (and like it this way)

*I will be a liveaboard in the next month, so the Ipad could also help me with movies/music/photos/email...
-From a sailing perspective anchor alarms, tides...and such are important. Are these features as good with the ipad apps?

*I am located in Vancouver, but plan in 1.5 years to do some serious cruising. (and teaching in BVI)

*I have seen some great wall mounts and water tight cases to keep out the humidity/condensation....
------------------

Do people have experiences with the Ipad and Apps like InavX or other?

Do you think as a live-aboard, and potential long distance cruiser that the Ipad would be a good investment? I refuse to pay $3000.00 as a sailor who is confident with charts to buy a chartplotter...

Other thoughts and experiences would be wonderful...

Cheers.
__________________

__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:21   #2
Registered User
 
Jimbo485's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: some ocean down under
Boat: Kelsall Suncat 40
Posts: 1,247
We use the IPad as our main nav tool. I would have laughed a year ago at just the idea of it. It uses inavx as the software and over the last season from Florida to S. Caribbean it worked fine. We use a zip lock bag and did not buy the waterproof bags. The IPad sits in the cockpit while sailing, goes to the beach bar to talk locations with other cruisers, does email etc.

The backup is a 12V PC from Island Time which uses OpenCPN.

The next backup is a sextant, paper charts, dividers, parallel rules, pencil, watch.

If all that fails, we follow the birds to find land.

As an aside, when I was a kid in pre-GPS days, we once used the technique of going ashore to see what language they speak and that would still work even today. Our trip was from northern Italy to Monaco but, on going ashore, we found everyone speaking French, so we concluded that we had sailed right past the little casino country.
__________________

__________________

Jimbo485 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:28   #3
Obsfucator, Second Class
 
dacust's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Southeast USA.
Boat: 1982 Sea Ray SRV360
Posts: 1,743
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

For more reading:

A very recent thread on Plan2Nav:
==> Just Downloaded Jeppesen iPad Plan2Nav

And a Google search for ipad nav in this forum:
==> ipad nav - Google Search on Cruisers Forums

And a Google search for iNavx that Jimbo485 mentioned:
==> inavx - Google Search on Cruisers Forums

I have not used iNavx, but the general reaction from people in this forum seems to be good. Not as good or full featured as a PC or Mac product, but well worth the money. But don't take my word for it, read through some of the threads above.

-dan
dacust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:32   #4
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo485 View Post
We use the IPad as our main nav tool. I would have laughed a year ago at just the idea of it. It uses inavx as the software and over the last season from Florida to S. Caribbean it worked fine. We use a zip lock bag and did not buy the waterproof bags. The IPad sits in the cockpit while sailing, goes to the beach bar to talk locations with other cruisers, does email etc.

The backup is a 12V PC from Island Time which uses OpenCPN.

The next backup is a sextant, paper charts, dividers, parallel rules, pencil, watch.

If all that fails, we follow the birds to find land.

As an aside, when I was a kid in pre-GPS days, we once used the technique of going ashore to see what language they speak and that would still work even today. Our trip was from northern Italy to Monaco but, on going ashore, we found everyone speaking French, so we concluded that we had sailed right past the little casino country.
Excellent to hear. I see this case:
but this does not protect against shocks or drops. I am also worried about long term use and condensation build up. Hmm...
__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:40   #5
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dacust View Post
For more reading:

A very recent thread on Plan2Nav:
==> Just Downloaded Jeppesen iPad Plan2Nav

And a Google search for ipad nav in this forum:
==> ipad nav - Google Search on Cruisers Forums

And a Google search for iNavx that Jimbo485 mentioned:
==> inavx - Google Search on Cruisers Forums

I have not used iNavx, but the general reaction from people in this forum seems to be good. Not as good or full featured as a PC or Mac product, but well worth the money. But don't take my word for it, read through some of the threads above.

-dan
excellent references...thanks very much! I guess the one question is can the Ipad with the proper charts and a good case completely replace an expensive chartplotter.

I have used chart plotters on many ships and I find the little stupid joy stick a PITA. Perhaps I am a bit more tech savy then most...but if this is just my backup to paper charts...its seems like it can do everything. I dont mind paying for echarts...as you must pay with any device you buy.
__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:47   #6
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

found a great hardcase.....no price yet....but this is exactly what I would need. (girl included) http://www.lifeproof.com/

__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:54   #7
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: between the devil and the deep blue sea
Boat: a sailing boat
Posts: 17,314
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Nice, but not waterproof. Or waterproof but not nice!

I would like one for the nav table though.

b.
__________________
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 14:56   #8
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Nice, but not waterproof. Or waterproof but not nice!

I would like one for the nav table though.

b.
??? this Iproof case is 100% water tight. Check out the vid! lol.
__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:04   #9
Registered User
 
Arch Stanton's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Boat: San Juan 28
Posts: 214
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

I just finished a 4-month trip up the inside passage from Olympia, WA to Ketchikan, Alaska. I used an iPhone with Navionics as my primary navigation system for the whole trip and would recommend that, or the iPad version, to anyone. Between battery backups and a waterproof case (the glorified ziplock bag kind) I felt pretty secure using it in all conditions.
__________________
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:07   #10
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
I just finished a 4-month trip up the inside passage from Olympia, WA to Ketchikan, Alaska. I used an iPhone with Navionics as my primary navigation system for the whole trip and would recommend that, or the iPad version, to anyone. Between battery backups and a waterproof case (the glorified ziplock bag kind) I felt pretty secure using it in all conditions.
wow.... We have run aground more times in the north then any other place (from lack of detailed charts even in paper)so I take your northern cruising and navigation words very seriously. Thanks!
__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:09   #11
Registered User
 
Arch Stanton's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Olympia, WA
Boat: San Juan 28
Posts: 214
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomdaica View Post
wow.... We have run aground more times in the north then any other place (from lack of detailed charts even in paper)so I take your northern cruising and navigation words very seriously. Thanks!
Number of times aground: zero (edit: yet)
__________________
Arch Stanton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 15:11   #12
Registered User
 
Nomdaica's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 69
Send a message via Skype™ to Nomdaica
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch Stanton View Post
Number of times aground: zero (edit: yet)
We teach sailing in northern Canada....so it happens to the best of us.
__________________
<A boat in the harbour is safe, but that's not what boats were made for>
Nomdaica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 18:51   #13
Registered User

Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 39
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter / GPS

I have an ipad 2 and my wife an iPad 1. Both have installed apps iNavX and plan2Nav. (my ipad has 133 apps installed) Went from Fla to all over the Bahamas last year without a problem.

Will probably never turn the permanently installed $4,000 chart plotter on that is in my boat.
We also take one or both the iPads to shore. We read books, check weather, write and read emails, etc.

We also take our ipads to bed every night. My wife listens to Coast to Coast AM every night that we have Internet and I go to sleep listening to easy listening music.

Without a doubt, the iPad is the most used and useful device on our boat.
__________________
57guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 19:08   #14
CF Adviser
 
Bash's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: sausalito
Boat: 14 meter sloop
Posts: 7,260
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter/GPS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomdaica View Post
I guess the one question is can the Ipad with the proper charts and a good case completely replace an expensive chartplotter.
We have two iPad 2s aboard, but do not use them as chartplotters because they can't do the job our two chartplotters do, like engaging the autopilot, or overlaying the radar display with the chart display, or going split screen with the depth sounder, or integrating with AIS, or calling up data from the fluxgate compass, the wind guage, the knot log, et cetera.

And they are not waterproof.
__________________
cruising is entirely about showing up--in boat shoes.
Bash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2011, 21:40   #15
Marine Service Provider
 
GPSNavX's Avatar

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Pacific North West
Posts: 215
Re: Ipad 2 as a Chartplotter / GPS

There are iPad apps that can display AIS targets, Instrument data, and control an autopilot. And there are numerous protective cases for iPads. That being said, I see the iPad not as a replacement for dedicated marine chart plotter, but as an addition.
__________________

__________________
GPSNavX - Marine navigation and weather software for Mac and iPhone/iPad/iPod
GPSNavX is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
chartplotter, Ipad

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 05:31



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:13.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.