Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2012, 10:33   #1

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
Google Earth 'stuck'

I recently installed GPS Gate to use with Google Earth but, just for kicks, I tried connecting GE to my GPS using the built-in option under the Tools tab on the GE screen. It immediately connected and showed my location from an elevation of about 4,000 feet. Cool.

Except, that now when I start GE, it goes back to that location and won't let me view anywhere else - even with the GPS off! If I try to view another location, the screen immediately moves right back to my current location, no matter what I do. I even went so far as to delete GE altogether and downloaded a new version but it does the same thing. It's as though once I clicked on 'connect to the GPS real-time', it won't let me unselect it, even though it's not selected.

I was hoping to cache views of Fiji as were heading there next week (I downloaded a cache program to get by the limits of GE) but I can't even view Fiji (or anywhere else) as my screen keeps coming back to Tutukaka, New Zealand.

Has anyone else had this problem and found a solution? I sure would like to hear about it!

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:53   #2

Boat: Pearson 385
Re: Google Earth 'stuck'

Do you have a Placemark in the "My Places" tree called "Starting Location"? If so, delete it. Even if it is unchecked, it will still zoom to that location first.
Vamonos is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
google earth