Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2017, 09:59   #46

Boat: Looking for my next boat!
Re: Do I need a chart plotter considering the down loadable soft ware?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30West View Post
If you put the iPad in a waterproof holder and mount it, with charge cord connected, it is very robust and reliable in more challenging environments.
Those are some mighty big IFs.

I think we both agree that ipad software is more than adequate for the task. But the question is about the inherent suitability of the setup as a whole. I have confidence in a dedicated marine chart plotter. Its possible to have the same robustness and reliability with an ipad, but just as you say...you've got to build it yourself. Thats the issue I'm addressing. And out in the real world, most people get the ipad and hold it in their hands and run off the internal battery. And thats fine. Until its not. It would not take much by way of a loose jib sheet in a big wind to send the whole ipad setup overboard, waterproof holder and mount included.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2017, 10:27   #47

Boat: Cruisers 375

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
Those are some mighty big IFs.

I think we both agree that ipad software is more than adequate for the task. But the question is about the inherent suitability of the setup as a whole. I have confidence in a dedicated marine chart plotter. Its possible to have the same robustness and reliability with an ipad, but just as you say...you've got to build it yourself. Thats the issue I'm addressing. And out in the real world, most people get the ipad and hold it in their hands and run off the internal battery. And thats fine. Until its not. It would not take much by way of a loose jib sheet in a big wind to send the whole ipad setup overboard, waterproof holder and mount included.
Right, there are many levels of "robust" between holding an uncovered iPad in your hand while relying on internal battery, and mounting it solidly and waterproof with continuous power supply. And then there are the purpose-built marine nav units, higher on the scale. All different levels of cost and durability, and ability to manipulate them while bouncing around. What does a particular boater need on a particular journey? If the more expensive option is out of budget, how close can they get with something cheaper?
30West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:57   #48

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

Did you leave on schedule? Give us an update on your trip if you can.
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2017, 12:03   #49

Boat: Lots of boats.

Check out fishing oriented fish finders with GPS. You can get basic plotting capabilities and an excellent view of the bottom for just over $100 with a 3.5 inch screen or a 5 inch screen with more capabilities for around $300. No reason not to have a water tight dedicated plotter at the helm. Want bells and whistles, use your iPad. Need a reliable backup that also shows water depth, get the fishfinder/plotter with GPS from lots of companies for cheap. Having both is cheap insurance!
hsi88 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
loa