Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Seamanship, Navigation & Boat Handling > Navigation
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-11-2013, 23:25   #1

Boat: Hanse 385
Crossing a Traffic Separation Scheme

Hello all,

Quick question, and I'm sure I'm missing something silly here but in the RYA training guides it says to cross a TSS at a right angle heading, even if the course over ground, due to say tide, means you're "sliding" through the water thereby taking longer.

Why wouldn't you adjust for any current, tide, etc, so your course over ground is as close to a right angle to the TSS as possible?

Regards,
Simon
simonpickard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 00:28   #2

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.
Re: Crossing a Traffic Separation Scheme

I believe the intent is to get you across quickly. Nobody will nit pik with you what influence the tide/current has.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 00:38   #3

That's my issue with the RYA books though. I would have thought the best way across would be the quickest. At a right angle from A to B. Not keeping the heading at 90 degrees and ignoring wind / tide, currents, etc.

Can't work that bit out.
Old 27-11-2013, 01:20   #4

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

The reason for this is that if you compensate for the current in places where there is a lot (say 4-5 knots crosscurrent) you will "appear" to be sailing against the traffic in one of the sides of the separation.

sailing against the traffic is a big "no-no" and will get you fined big time.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 01:20   #5

Boat: Passport 41, Custom Perry in steel.

I would think quickest is good. I'm a ships engineer many a entertaining time I've had in busy sealanes just observing. There is nobody watching how neat your track is but what would get ships officers upset is your dawdling with a less than adequate transit. In commercial ships compliance is regulated because a licence could be jeopardized. Maybe not yours but you have been told by RYA or whoever it is, what you are required to do, as they have. Do your best particularly when roadstead is occupied.
Oceanride007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 01:22   #6
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
The reason is to present a correct aspect to the ships in the lane. Ie to clearly demonstrate you are crossing. Of you tried to do a right angle course on areas of strong tide , you could have a very different heading and could look to approaching ships that you were joining the lane not crossing it

Dave
Old 27-11-2013, 01:24   #7
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oceanride007 View Post
I would think quickest is good. I'm a ships engineer many a entertaining time I've had in busy sealanes just observing. There is nobody watching how neat your track is but what would get ships officers upset is your dawdling with a less than adequate transit. In commercial ships compliance is regulated because a licence could be jeopardized. Maybe not yours but you have been told by RYA or whoever it is, what you are required to do, as they have. Do your best particularly when roadstead is occupied.
There is no specific requirement to cross in any specific time. You can take all the time you need.

Dave
Old 27-11-2013, 01:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
The reason is to present a correct aspect to the ships in the lane. Ie to clearly demonstrate you are crossing. Of you tried to do a right angle course on areas of strong tide , you could have a very different heading and could look to approaching ships that you were joining the lane not crossing it

Dave
That makes a lot of sense actually, thanks for the replies everyone.
Old 27-11-2013, 01:39   #9

Simon, in addition to the above mentioned reasons, the perpendicular heading is the one that will get you across quicker.

Asheim
Asheim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:34   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheim View Post
Simon, in addition to the above mentioned reasons, the perpendicular heading is the one that will get you across quicker.

Asheim
Actually not "in addition", but this is the right answer.

Crabbing along the rhumb line might be the fastest way to your destination, if the TSS is not so wide that the tide changes during your passage of it, but it will be the slower way across the TSS, leaving you in the TSS obstructing traffic for longer.

For example -- if the TSS is 10 miles across, and you are sailing at 6 knots across a perpendicular current of 4 knots, a perpendicular passage across along the rhumb line means adjusting your heading by 34 degrees to compensate for the current, which means sailing 12 miles through the water, taking you two hours to get out of the TSS. If you sail a heading perpendicular to the TSS, you will sail only 10 miles through the water, which will take you 1 hour 40 minutes, reducing your time in the TSS by 20 minutes.

Showing the correct aspect, and not appearing to be sailing against traffic, are certainly significant plusses, but speed across is the main reason. A 34 degree deviation from a perpendicular heading does not have a huge effect on your aspect, and will not make you appear to be sailing against traffic, but it will have a significant effect on your time across.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:37   #11

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simonpickard View Post
That's my issue with the RYA books though. I would have thought the best way across would be the quickest. At a right angle from A to B. Not keeping the heading at 90 degrees and ignoring wind / tide, currents, etc.

Can't work that bit out.
Please refer to the calculation above.

Sailing the rhumb line might well be the fastest way to your destination (if the current is constant), but it will be the slower way to get out of the TSS. The fastest possible way across the TSS is on a constant heading exactly perpendicular to the TSS, and at your best speed.
Old 27-11-2013, 03:43   #12

On a running oder tidal water I would tend to make a dogleged curve, calculating a rate action to get from A-B
Tellus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-11-2013, 03:44   #13

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellus View Post
On a running oder tidal water I would tend to make a dogleged curve, calculating a rate action to get from A-B
I would be interested to see how you calculate that. Never heard of such a technique.
Old 27-11-2013, 03:44   #14

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Here's a useful diagram:

Traffic Separation Schemes - How to cross them safely
Old 27-11-2013, 04:26   #15

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I believe we have beaten this animal to death in the CTS thread. Seaworthy Lass won that round by developing anew method to cross currents effectively.

So we actually do have a mathematical answer to this.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote