Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 15:50   #16

Boat: Finnsailer 38
Re: What exactly is a "special anchorage area"?

I know of no place within the U.S.A. that charges boats for anchoring. That is almost certainly public water and you are free to anchor for free. I bet there is a harbormaster there you could call up and ask if you are concerned.
Old 29-01-2013, 22:55   #17

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by SURV69 View Post
I was trying to lay a course from Port Clinton to Erie Pa., and wanting to use any free anchorages I can find.

There are very few designated anchorages in Lake Erie, of any descript..

For that matter, there are very few non-designated worthwhile anchorages on Lake Erie.

I had hoped(and maybe, still hope), that I find this particular anchorage( N41d 28m 24s / w082d 40m 49s),to be freely available for a transient sailor without having to pay $20-30 for the night's anchoring.
Look up these notes in the appropriate coast pilot: 110.83a, 110.1
Call the Cedar Point Marina and see what they can tell you: 419.627.2334
Here's their brochure: http://www.cedarpoint.com/images/upl...ure%202012.pdf

Go drop a hook on the leeward side of Johnson Island.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 11:06   #18

Boat: Pearson 34-II

I have found that a quick call to the local Coast Guard will clarify your concerns. For example, in Chicago, there is a special anchorage area next to Navy Pier surrounded by breakwaters. When I asked the CG if anchoring was permitted, they didn't say "no" but they advised me it wasn't a safe place to anchor because of the heavy commercial and recreational traffic. However, in Milwaukee, the CG said anchoring was permissible behind their breakwaters in a special anchorage. Better to ask then guess. Good luck and good sailing.
rognvald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2015, 05:40   #19

Boat: Albin Coronado 35(1972)
Re: Cedar Point Ohio new info ...

Okay, I called Cedar Point Marina to inquire about anchoring in the 5'-7' deep "special anchorage", south of their overflow/transient docks.

The guy I talked to kept on about the transient docks and not addressing the anchorage ... so I asked him more directly about the "anchorage", and was told that the "anchorage is under the control of the State of Ohio", as I had suspected.

Now, in mid 1800's, or so, state legislation county boundaries of all the lake counties in Ohio were extended to the international boundary, so the anchorage bed is under control of the county of Erie, while the waters are ... well under some other government's control(USA or Ohio).

The main thing is that Cedar Point Marina evidently understands and acknowledges that they are NOT in control of the anchorage ... although they state that if someone dinghys to their docks, the full transient rate(for the sailboat or dinghy?), will be charged.

At the back(behind) of the swimming area in East Harbor State Park, is another very nice anchorage(not a "special anchorage", where the water is from 7 or so feet to about 9 feet, about 100 or so feet away from shore.

So, now I have 2 more anchorages I can target this year ... Goody Goody!
SURV69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-07-2017, 11:44   #20

Boat: Island Packet 27

Unfortunately, the concern is more about anchoring outside the "SPECIAL ANCHORAGE" area. For example, in West Neck Harbor on Shelter Island ("]) there is a tiny sliver designated as a SPECIAL ANCHORAGE and the local municipality issues $25 tickets to those anchored outside that small, crowded, area. Such restrictions have been challenged in court, but how much time and money do you have to fight the ticket...
brucebach is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor