Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 4.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-02-2016, 05:32   #136

Boat: 1984 Cal 31
Re: Videos of Anchors Setting

More awesome work!

Any thoughts on an opinion paper or graph, summarizing performance of all the anchors, and (opinion-based) your perspective on which are acceptable and which you prefer and why? You have a range of experience that is not common, to say the least.

Tankersteve
tankersteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:14   #137

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Tankersteve, My plan is to make an all-encompassing "wrap-up video" that will do just as you suggest. I will use short clips from all the video's along with my commentary. I will try and remain objective. However, I am sure my personal preferences will "peek" through

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 06:22   #138

Here is the Bruce 44 (Genuine) being subjected to my "Deep Set" test. This is the test where I set the anchor at my normal spot at 3.5 to 1 scope with the rode belayed at the stern of the vessel. This allows maximum pulling thrust by using forward engine power (Max thrust = 910 pounds).

As you will see, the anchor was unable to remain engaged to the seabed even after increasing scope to 5 to 1.

Steve

Video #41
Old 08-02-2016, 17:08   #139

Five very fine anchors.

With an arsenal like this, How could I possibly survive the shame of Panope (hypothetically) dragging ashore?

Old 08-02-2016, 17:43   #140

Boat: Tayana 47

I wonder if the Bruce needs a denser material such as thick, gooey, mud to develop adequate resistance to dragging? Its leading edge is so wide that it seems like it has trouble digging down deeply enough to grab in the sandy bottom where your tests are taking place. I have a Bruce on my second bow roller only because it came with the boat so don't have any emotional attachment to it, but after watching your Bruce video above I'd like to learn what sort of conditions where I could expect my Bruce to be useful, or maybe I just need to "set" it on Craigslist?
jtsailjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 18:16   #141

Jtsail, The seabed that I am testing in is very uniform in its consistency. I see no evidence of "stratification". I feel that this is almost ideal anchoring conditions. If an anchor does not work here, I am afraid that it is simply outclassed by the anchors that do.

I have read that the larger sized Bruce anchors may not suffer the way the smaller ones do. Credible accounts exist of large Bruce anchors (100+ pounds) that held during hurricanes and ended up very very deeply buried.

What size is your Bruce?

Steve
Old 08-02-2016, 19:08   #142

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

Very interesting with the Bruce test, and I think it seems to show what the Bruce fans say, that they need to be larger than the next gen anchors to get the same holding.

It would be interesting to try say the 70lb Bruce against the 45lb next gens. I'm picking it might be similar all around?

Certainly it's impressive how quickly the Bruce sets, and then resets after dragging. But it's ultimate holding seems much poorer.

Having both a 70lb genuine Bruce and a 60 lb Manson supreme, it's good to know the strengths and weaknesses of each anchor. Thanks again for the excellent videos.
Old 08-02-2016, 20:03   #143

Ben, I think a series of back to back videos of larger and larger Bruce anchors would be very educational. I have a feeling the big ones will penetrate.

I bet the small Bruce anchors would produce excellent holding power if they would just dive below the seabed a meaningful amount.

Steve
Old 08-02-2016, 20:13   #144

Here is the Fortress FX-16 undergoing the "Deep Set" test.

First try was at the requisite 3.5 to 1 scope. The anchor did not release even under maximum thrust of 910 pounds. However, the anchor had a continuous, very slow drag that I feel would have continued indefinitely.

Second try was at 5 to 1 scope. The anchor moved a total of about 2 anchor lengths and was nicely buried when it stopped moving. A very impressive performance of this 10 pound anchor.

Note: The Fortress website specifies that a minimum of 5 to 1 scope is to be used with their anchors.

Steve

Old 09-02-2016, 03:44   #145

Boat: Alloy Peterson 40

I wonder if you could simulate yawing and sailing at anchor during the "deep set" tests by adjusting the leg lengths of the bridle. Probably would work better than playing with the rudder?

Sent from my HTC_0PCV2 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 09-02-2016, 07:13   #146

That is a good idea. Wish I had thought of it. Next time.

Steve
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37   #147

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Fast 40.3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Five very fine anchors.

With an arsenal like this, How could I possibly survive the shame of Panope (hypothetically) dragging ashore?

Well your boat sure as all get out won't drag - might sink under the combined weights though

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=carsten...ref=nb_sb_noss

Our books have gotten 5 star reviews on Amazon. Several readers have written "I never thought I would go on a circumnavigation, but when I read these books, I was right there in the cockpit with Vinni and Carsten"
carstenb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 04:21   #148
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tayana42 View Post
Your demonstration of the Anchor Right's Excell which is not easily available in North America seems to put to rest some criticism of that brand too.
Yeah its amazing isn't it. Those who have actually used an Excel are very impressed with it, those who have never used one kept wanting to call it a delta etc etc. There were a couple of very very very strident people who would not accept the real world experience of owners. And now - well I hope they apologise to Rex from Anchor Right, he deserves at least that level of courtesy.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2016, 14:00   #149

Another Anchor Right product arrived in the mail today, a 33 lb. (15 kg.) Super SARCA #5.

Note: This anchor is one size smaller than what is recommended by Anchor Right for this boat. However, given that my boat is incapable of dragging (with the engine) the better, larger sized anchors, this size may provide some better information. Also, the cost of submitting an anchor from halfway around the world was mitigated by sending a smaller one.

Once again, the small hull guard (that was designed for a 45 Manson Supreme) works for this anchor (as it did with just about every other that I have tested).

Note the down-turned toe.

The chain attach point is via a rock slot. This anchor was shipped to me with a blocking bolt installed in the slot. I think this is a good idea given that some of my testing involves a violent, 180 degree re-set test and having the chain active in the slot will not give an accurate representation of this anchors ability to "pivot" in the seabed.

Old 12-02-2016, 16:19   #150

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Note: This anchor is one size smaller than what is recommended by Anchor Right for this boat. However, given that my boat is incapable of dragging (with the engine) the better, larger sized anchors, this size may provide some better information. Also, the cost of submitting an anchor from halfway around the world was mitigated by sending a smaller one.
After re-reading the above, I realize that I may have wrote something confusing. My reference to "better, large sized anchors" was not meant to say that the SARCA is not better.

I should have wrote:

......However, given that my boat is incapable of dragging (with the engine) the larger sized anchors (except the inferior Bruce), this size may provide some better information...............

Note: I have not yet tested the SUPER Sarca and I have no idea how it will perform. Stay tuned.....

Steve

Tags
anchor