Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-05-2021, 09:06   #16

Boat: Trlåren 31
Re: To dive or not to dive?

My anchorages are typically about 10 fathoms and that water is cold too. I look forward to diving on an anchor some day but not here!
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:06   #17

Boat: Vancouver 27'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creedence View Post
We live in a day and age when people seem to carry weaponized opinions on how others should be going about their business.

Thank you Creedence!
sepharad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:15   #18

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traumerei View Post
In the northern latitudes no one dives there anchor. Simply the waters to cold. The the lower latitudes it seems the norm. Why?........Recently I was chastised as reckless for not driving my anchor............
Never heard of that in 35 years of boating and anchoring on the US east and west coasts, generally in cold and/or murky water. I did dive on my anchor in the clear and warm water in the BVI to see how the anchor was set for curiosity a few times. This thread discusses the same subject.

https://forums.ybw.com/index.php?thr...is-set.550647/
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:27   #19

Boat: Pearson 367 cutter, 36'

I never dive the anchor north of Florida, and actually not in Florida either. I always dive it in Bahamas and south, but only because I like swimming. I recently dove the anchor in BVI because it appeared to me we had dragged a bit (we had). But I could have determined that without diving.
AJ_n_Audrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:33   #20

If you are not capable or inclined to dive to view the set of your anchor, perhaps consider dropping it on to someone who can be persuaded or caused to go in for you. An example thereof:

P.S. I have never dived on my anchor to purposefully see its set, albeit I have recreationally pulled myself along a rode to aid in my swimming or to hold against a current.

And during the winter season, I never drop anchor with my iceboat but if I did drop an anchor from my iceboat it would be readily visible laying on top of the ice so again no need to dive to view it.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:36   #21

Boat: Leopard 45

I always dive on my anchor and go down and check to see how well it is dug in. I also check the substrate to see if sand is sitting on hard pack. All this in less than 40' of water and having backed down at 1200 rpm. Only then do I feel I have deserved my gin and tonic and can assure the crew a good nights rest. If I had ear problems and weren't in the tropics where the water temperature was 80 degrees, I think I'd be good with just backing down at 1200 rpm. It would have to blow at over 30 knots to break loose.
cheers,
Jim
jim King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:40   #22

Quote:
In the northern latitudes no one dives there anchor. Simply the waters to cold.
The the lower latitudes it seems the norm. Why? Is it because in warm waters you can and why not?

I have an ear problem and can't dive. Believe me I'd love to. I've always paid close attention to depth and scope length and of the type of seabead and have never had an issue.

Recently I was chastised as reckless for not driving my anchor or at the least having a crew member who was capable of doing it for me.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
My experience is that diving the anchor is not "normal" anywhere I've been. Some people do it now and then. I've done it a few times just because it's something to do. Diving the anchor is a steady 30-35+ winds in Tobago Cays was enlightening. In those winds there was still catenary in the anchor chain. Unusual situation as there was zero water action only wavelets maybe 6" high at most.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 09:48   #23

Then I suppose there might be the incidents of added challenge of trying to swim along side to keep up with your anchor while it drags the bottom when you have chosen to dive to view its setting, or the lack of setting as the situation may realize. That be when hopefully are not singlehanded and no one remains aboard the vessel while you are diving to view or assist with the setting of the anchor, e.g., pushing down on the crown or stock of the anchor to aid the flukes to penetrate the substrate as they slide along the bottom.

Watch the diver do a two hand head slap when the anchor drags.

As others have said, there is benefit in using a large, modern design of anchor.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 10:40   #24

Boat: Grand Banks Aleutian 64

We do not routinely dive our anchor. If the water is nice why not enjoy a dip and look at your anchor whiled at it.

Charts will most likely tell you the bottom. If the water is fairly clear and you are anchoring in 20’ or less you can see coral heads, sand and grassy areas.

Do whatever you think best.
garychurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 10:58   #25

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

your choice, your call. buddy was anchored in Mexico, no coral but rocks. He never dove his anchor and had been sitting in one spot for a couple of months. Chain had wrapped around a rock and eventually broke sending his boat on the beach.

While in the Turks and Caicos a friend asked me to dive his anchor as they'd been anchored in the protected waters for a few months. I dove his chain and followed it to the end where lo and behold, someone had stolen his anchor!
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 11:34   #26

Visibility in the NE US is garbage. Arms length if you’re lucky. Plus, spider crabs are nasty, aggressive bastards. I only dive if absolutely necessary. It isn’t fun.

If I’m concerned about the anchor, I’ll set an anchor alarm.

Not sure why, but my Beneteau hates anchoring. It hunts like hell...+/- 50 degrees at times. Doesn’t do it on the mooring.
C420sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:15   #27

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
The the lower latitudes it seems the norm. Why? Is it because in warm waters you can and why not?

I have an ear problem and can't dive. Believe me I'd love to. I've always paid close attention to depth and scope length and of the type of seabead and have never had an issue.

Recently I was chastised as reckless for not driving my anchor or at the least having a crew member who was capable of doing it for me.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Steve

Politely say screw you.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:27   #28

Quote:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
How many get up after a wind switch and back down to test the set?
sazarac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:40   #29

Boat: Jeanneau SO DS 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholson58 View Post
If in doubt, get a bigger and modern anchor. Ours is 54 kilo Rocna. We modified the bow pulpit to fit it. I paint the aft fluke surface with yellow Rustoleum. This thing always sets unless you are on hard pan. We rarely dive the anchor even in the Caribbean. Better anchor = cheap insurance and peace of mind.
I also believe in big modern anchors, proper scope, and setting skills, but my piece of mind comes from seeing exactly how it's set, in what substrate, what's close by, etc. 99% of the time it's fine, but when the wind shifts 90dgrs as a squall arrives at 2am and the tip of your anchor moves along the hard flat bottom, weight alone won't help. The Med is especially challenging with 6" of sand on a hard smooth bottom, or weeds that will hold you at 1500 rpm, but not at 2000. Or S Pacific where coral heads aren't always visible and a wind shift could destroy one.
SteveSadler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2021, 12:58   #30

Quote:

What are your thoughts?

Thanks, Steve
I'd like to see what these chastisers do in croc country.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote