Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 03:11   #16

Re: Problem With Oil Fired Anchor Light

Quote:
Originally Posted by mausgras View Post
I am not familiar with the lamp you describe but very bright oil lamps had the flame enclosed in a cage like "mantle". The mantle was impregnated with a lime (calcium) compound which produced a very bright and white light. They were used in theaters as footlights before electricity, hence the origin of the saying "standing in the limelight".
The mantle is very fragile and needs to be replaced frequently. They may not have been used on ships for this reason or they just kept a good supply handy?
Exactly what I was thinking, although the origin of limelight was a bonus to read. Thanks!

A wick cannot burn brightly, period.

A mantle is required (think coleman pressure kerosene lamps).
cruisersfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 05:39   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape Dory 28

CBURGER, I sail on traditional schooners and we use oil lamps extensively. No, they do not Meet the regs, but that's not the point. If you have a decent lamp up in a local anchorage it will be visable to an approaching vessel. Granted it not hold much a flame (get it?). To a super bright LED, but it will do its job, esp. As a back up. Regarding the wick, it should fit snugly in the aperature even difficult to adjust. We use what are referred to as hurricane lanterns and they work just fine. Good luck!
Cpt.Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2016, 16:31   #18

Boat: 2016 Bayliner Element

When I was younger I decked for Bronx Tugs. Every evening 12 oil lamps were put out every morning 12 lamps were cleaned and oiled. Don't put the flame up too high or it will smoke the lamp.
Chas.7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor, oil