Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-11-2014, 15:44   #1

Mooring in the Chesapeake over winter

Hey all, does anyone have information on where good locations for dropping a mooring are in the Chesapeake. As I understand it, a permit is not required just that you need to avoid navigational channels and shellfish beds. I would like to moor the boat over winter if that is possible.
domgalanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:13   #2

Re: Mooring in the Chesapeake over winter

If we have a winter like last year, this would not be a great idea.
marlinmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 11:20   #3

It was cold last year so I think we're due for a nice warm winter this year. With 2 space heaters that's my hope anyway.

I'm in a marina, but the idea of plunking down a mooring anywhere you want sounds like fun. Is that really legit?

Sent from an undisclosed location aboard my zombie avoidance vessel.
DanDanDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 17:06   #4

Boat: C&C 34

Chesapeake + winter + mooring =

At least zombies do not like the cold.
Opie91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 17:54   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

The Chesapeake is a big place. Want to narrow it down a bit?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 06:50   #6

Boat: Nordhavn 47

The hardest part of doing that would be finding a place to get on and off the boat. The shores are all private and if you are close to a marina with a dinghy dock you will probably be in areas that you will not be allowed to put down a private mooring. If you just want to live at anchor. More power to you. It is cold and nasty here every year. Last year was just really bad.

Jim
jkleins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2014, 07:24   #7

Boat: Camano Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by domgalanti View Post
Hey all, does anyone have information on where good locations for dropping a mooring are in the Chesapeake. As I understand it, a permit is not required just that you need to avoid navigational channels and shellfish beds. I would like to moor the boat over winter if that is possible.
This is one of those questions that is so vague that it's impossible to provide a meaningful answer. As posted above, the Chesapeake Bay is a pretty big place. You will have to narrow it down.

Now are you going to be visiting the boat from time to time or are you just looking for a free place to "park" your boat for the winter?

The Chesapeake Bay can get some pretty rough weather in the winter and if you place a mooring in open water, there's a good chance you won't be able to find your boat come next spring. Also, it might be subject to boarding by people who assume its abandoned and they might strip it of anything of value.

A better plan would be to find a safe creek off the Bay itself. This will get you out of the worst of the weather. Try to find a place where other boats are moored. Check the normal weather for the locations you are considering.

Before you actually set a mooring, check with the authorities to see if this is legal, don't rely on "some guy" telling it is legal.

Tags
mooring