Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Anchoring & Mooring
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2011, 11:41   #1

Boat: 1966 Cal 36
'Drive Key' Needed for Lewmar V1

Wondering if anyone on here that might have a Lewmar V1 windlass might be able to help me. I finally got around to installing my V1 that I got a year and a half ago when the prices were rock bottom. Only problem is, I can't seem to find the "Drive Key" anywhere. It's basically a little brass slug that slides up the shaft of the drive and couples the shaft with the gearbox. Without it, the entire thing is useless except in manual override!

Anyway, I've talked with several distributors, as well as Lewmar itself. The only way I can possibly get a replacement is by buying their spare part "Drive Kit", which is $148. Seems a shame to have to buy the entire kit just for that one little brass slug.

Anyway, since I know that brass couplings can be found in other places, I'm wondering if anyone might have one handy which they might be able to measure. I'd love to know what the dimensions are so I could look for alternatives.

Thanks, and happy sailing!
AKflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 11:53   #2

Boat: grampian 26
Re: "Drive Key" needed for Lewmar V1

$148? I hope you were sitting down.
perchance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 12:31   #3

Boat: Hunter 49 - FELA
Re: 'Drive Key' Needed for Lewmar V1

http://www.lewmar.com/cms%5Cassets%5...nualIssue2.pdf

Are you looking for part 17? I got a couple of kits for my V2/3 that may have a key. From the V2/3 manual it looks that they used the same key.
Old 05-05-2011, 14:30   #4

Yes! Part #17 is exactly what I'm looking for. The manual I got *says* that you can get it with the "Fastener" parts kit, which is a lot cheaper than the "Drive" kit, but the manual is apparently wrong, as Lewmar confirmed by phone that part #17 is not actually in the Fastener kit.

If you had dimensions for that, I'd be greatly indebted to you! Or if you had extras, I'd be even happier to talk about maybe buying one...

Thanks!
Old 05-05-2011, 14:38   #5
SKI

Boat: none yet

AKflyer from the drawing it looks like a piece of key stock which is usually square and comes in nominal sizes (ex 1/8, 3/16, 1/4) so i would measure the slot in the shaft with a tape measure or dial calipers if you have access to a set. Then go to mcmaster.com its an industrial supply house in cleveland ohio but will ship anywhere.as example a pc of 1/4x1/4 x12" long brass is $3.85 way cheaper than $148
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 20:34   #6

SKI:
Thanks very much for the link to mcmaster.com. I've been trying to google for something just like that, but apparently didn't have the right "key"words going.. ;-) I do have a set of dial calipers that I'll measure the channel with next time I make it down to the boat.

Thanks very much all, for the ideas and input.

AJ
Old 06-05-2011, 09:47   #7
SKI

Boat: none yet

Glad i could help AK. I looked in there catalog and they've got brass key stock from 1/8 to 1-1/4 so i'm sure you size falls in there somewhere. Good luck with the project i hope all else goes smoothly.
SKI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lewmar