Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-09-2017, 10:35   #46

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Clean boats x dirty boats

hthoni, You came here looking for people to back you up saying that barnacle growth on boats "infects" other boats with the idea of taking this evidence to your club's board of directors with the purpose of convincing them to make a rule that all boats hade to have their bottoms kept clean. That didn't happen, not one person agreed with you and several pointed out that the docks, floats and pilings also grew barnacles and would also have to be kept clean if this was really a problem.

I gave you some suggestions on how you might convince other members to have their boats serviced, but you didn't seem to think those ideas would work.

It looks like you have two choices here; Stay in the club and put up with the lack of maintenance of other club members or leave the club and find one that's up to your standards.
Old 18-09-2017, 10:59   #47

Boat: Delta 36
Send a message via Skype™ to hthoni

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
hthoni, You came here looking for people to back you up saying that barnacle growth on boats "infects" other boats with the idea of taking this evidence to your club's board of directors with the purpose of convincing them to make a rule that all boats hade to have their bottoms kept clean. That didn't happen, not one person agreed with you and several pointed out that the docks, floats and pilings also grew barnacles and would also have to be kept clean if this was really a problem.

I gave you some suggestions on how you might convince other members to have their boats serviced, but you didn't seem to think those ideas would work.

It looks like you have two choices here; Stay in the club and put up with the lack of maintenance of other club members or leave the club and find one that's up to your standards.

Thanks! I've found the articles already.
Let's see how it goes.
hthoni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:19   #48
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Whether anybody agreed with him or not is beside the point and not an indication of whether his premise is correct or not. Logic dictates that if nearby boats are allowed to become overly foul, the presence of reproducing fouling organisms near his boat increases the likelihood that his boat will foul quickly. In addition, while cleaning the docks and pilings on a regular basis is obviously not a practical solution, the fact that this isn't being done doesn't mean they aren't contributing to the fouling on the OP's boat; they are. It simply means it isn't practical to clean them.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 11:51   #49
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Yachtsmen, as all gentlemen, do not quibble or take upset over these matters. Rather, having the generosity and sagacity to understand the complex issues that may be at hand, including a temporary financial inconvenience on the part of the bearded vessel's owner, a true yachtsmen would proffer:
"I say old boy, I couldn't help but notice that you were having some issues with bottom growth. I know how hard it is to find good help these days, perhaps I could have my hull cleaner take care of yours while he is here? Oh no, that's on me, no bother at all I'm sure."

Charity begins at home.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 12:20   #50

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Yachtsmen, as all gentlemen, do not quibble or take upset over these matters. Rather, having the generosity and sagacity to understand the complex issues that may be at hand, including a temporary financial inconvenience on the part of the bearded vessel's owner, a true yachtsmen would proffer:
"I say old boy, I couldn't help but notice that you were having some issues with bottom growth. I know how hard it is to find good help these days, perhaps I could have my hull cleaner take care of yours while he is here? Oh no, that's on me, no bother at all I'm sure."

Charity begins at home.
That could be an option. But how can you deal with numerous neighbors like this?

it looks like the Flying Dutchman from Pirates of the Caribbean movie...

Old 18-09-2017, 12:49   #51
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

An exercise in rhetorical absurdity?
Or do you really have an involvement with a board of directors who allowed that to happen?
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 14:13   #52

Boat: Cuddles 30ft Motor Sailer

Every marina has boats with dirty bottoms. I just see it as a shame that no one is using them.

In regard to heavy growth on on boat affecting the growth on another, I have not read a study specific to marine growth. My semi-educated guess would be that there would be very limited effect.
Yes, there would be a possible increase in eggs in the area due to increased overall populations, but the growth on your boat would be generally affected by environmental conditions much more than eggs and larvae. Barnacles for example, spend their first 6 months in the the nauplius stage. They swim around feeding. It isn't until the cyprid stage that they latch on. They may have traveled a long distance by then.

Where they latch on is determined more by currents, and nutrient levels in the water rather than how many dirty boats are nearby.
Kokanee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 14:33   #53

Any attempt to put a limit on the amount of acceptable bottom growth on boats in a club marina is bound to failure. Is someone going to be assigned to walk the docks once a week and measure each boat's growth? Is the Board of Directors going to establish and enforce a fine for boats with more than "X inches" of growth? Will they notify the owners before levying the fines or will they just let them accumulate by the day?

Will the Board of Directors expel members who don't comply with the new "bottom growth" rules? If the club members paid an initiation fee to join the club, will they refund that fee?

If a member refuses to comply with the new rules on bottom growth and refuses to pay the fine, will the Board of Directors cut the boat loose and tow it out of the marina? Is the Board of Directors ready and willing to defend a lawsuit from members who dislike this new rule?

For the most part in life, we don't get to decide what other people do or how they live their lives. An HOA or condo association is a bit of an exception but the difference is, the covenants are established before the homes or condos are sold and anyone buying into the neighborhood knows the rules in advance.

As I posted earlier, the OP has two choices: Put up with neighboring boats with bottom growth or move to another club or marina.
Old 18-09-2017, 14:36   #54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Whether anybody agreed with him or not is beside the point and not an indication of whether his premise is correct or not. Logic dictates that if nearby boats are allowed to become overly foul, the presence of reproducing fouling organisms near his boat increases the likelihood that his boat will foul quickly. In addition, while cleaning the docks and pilings on a regular basis is obviously not a practical solution, the fact that this isn't being done doesn't mean they aren't contributing to the fouling on the OP's boat; they are. It simply means it isn't practical to clean them.
I don't think anything that's been posted in this thread is something the OP could take to the Board of Directors to convince them to make this new rule with the possible exception of your post above.
Old 18-09-2017, 15:44   #55

Boat: Jeanneau 371

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
To me diving to clean a hull is NOT a practical solution. How much fouling is there during a six month spell in the water with a soft anti fouling paint. Not a lot in my experience.
Pull the boat every winter and splash a little paint each spring. Problem resolved!
Deltasailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:45   #56

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

And the owners of the boats with fouled bottoms could tell the Board it isnt practical to clean a boat they dont use but if the marina starts scraping pilings and docks and rocks throughout the marina they would consider it. To be honest this is the most inane thread in ages. My neighbors barnacles are harming me. LOL.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 15:53   #57

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kokanee View Post
Every marina has boats with dirty bottoms. I just see it as a shame that no one is using them.

In regard to heavy growth on on boat affecting the growth on another, I have not read a study specific to marine growth. My semi-educated guess would be that there would be very limited effect.
Yes, there would be a possible increase in eggs in the area due to increased overall populations, but the growth on your boat would be generally affected by environmental conditions much more than eggs and larvae. Barnacles for example, spend their first 6 months in the the nauplius stage. They swim around feeding. It isn't until the cyprid stage that they latch on. They may have traveled a long distance by then.

Where they latch on is determined more by currents, and nutrient levels in the water rather than how many dirty boats are nearby.
Hey, what's this? A post with some applicable biology relating to the issue.

How quaint! Perhaps the OP should consider these factors.

Jim
Old 18-09-2017, 16:23   #58

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

Jim,
I wish we had a Like button for this site! [emoji3]

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 16:56   #59
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by hthoni View Post
That could be an option. But how can you deal with numerous neighbors like this?

I doubt the owner of this boat cares much about the bottom growth. He doesn't seem to care much for the topsides.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-09-2017, 18:42   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
An exercise in rhetorical absurdity?

Or do you really have an involvement with a board of directors who allowed that to happen?

Of course I have

Tags
boat