Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-04-2018, 09:33   #46

Boat: Gulfstar 41' ketch
Re: Port-a-Bote

If you are talking of the juncture of the two bottom panels and the transom, which amounts to a tube into the interior, then tape is not what you want. I had a leak there and fixed it by getting a small piece of foam, coating it liberally with caulking (4200), and shoving it into the joint from the inside. That was years ago but mine doesn't get folded that often. My friend does fold his and his identical repair has held up well.

Maybe a picture of the problem area? Or a sketch?
sailor_ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 13:29   #47
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

SailorEd;

Yup, that’s the place, right where the outboard shaft crosses the bottom.

I’ve called Porta-Bote, that was not very useful. The fellow I spoke to was stuck in transmit, I’m not sure he ever understood what I was trying to say. He did insist that Eterna Tale is the “fix” for it. I don’t see how that works but I’m going to try it. I’m also going to try to get some aircraft fuel tank repair, I’ve seen that stuff work and it’s very impressive. Sort of like 5200 on steroids. Sets faster and is flexible. I don’t know about the adhesion but will rough up the area first. Problem is I’m in Grenada laying the boat up for hurricane season. It sure how to source stuff here yet.

Humorously I did find a pretty good solution. It seems enough bottom growth will plug the leak, at least until you fold it again.

I was pretty disappointed with my Porta-Bote conversation. I actually called to get a price on a new boat and shipping to Grenada. But I never got to ask the question. He had to get off the phone to talk to people “hanging online to buy new boats.”

I really dislike how hard they make it to get simple pricing info.
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 15:16   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Interesting, after some determined googling I found a GB site with quoted prices.

www.portableboatshop.com - Porta-Bote (Portabote) 8-14ft

12’ Alpha £2,312 or which converts to $3,131 today.

Disputes the problems I may end up looking at buying a new Alpha. I saw one for a few minutes, the owners were new to their Porta-Bote and had some questions. I asked them about the folding transom and how they liked it. They didn’t, said it was weak and flexible and were considering making supports to the rear seat. Didn’t sound like a good idea to me. IIRC they had a 6hp motor.

So I’m wondering if there are any other Alpha owners here and what their impressions are.
Old 11-05-2018, 15:57   #49

Boat: Rafiki 37

The Canada distributor also lists their prices. Wonder why the main portabote site doesn’t.

https://www.portaboat.ca/allproduct
Old 11-05-2018, 18:05   #50
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Thanks Mike,

I’ve been trolling the internet and found a whole bunch of PB sites: OZ, UK, Africa. All have better websites than the USA one. Go figure.

It seems the Alpha model has a range of features. Not the right way to say it. They have been changing as they seem to be developing them and making mods as they go.

It appears all 14’ boats and now some 12’ boats come with a C channel that the seats rest upon. There are at least two different varieties of folding transom; one has interlocking arms, the other (14’er?) has interlocking panels and a strut to the rear seat.

From what I read on one blog even the area reps are confused about this stuff and only get what they get when stock is shipped.

And also there is a wide range of interpretation about max motor size. Despite the guy I talked to saying 6hp is the max they seem to be selling them as kits with 8. 9.9 and even 15hp engines.

I guess it’s a process of “continuous improvement”. I hope.