Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Auxiliary Equipment & Dinghy
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 10:07   #31

Location: Branched Oak Yacht Club, Wife is an Admiral in the Nebraska Navy
Boat: Clipper Marine 32 CC Aft Cabin Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor
So now I want to know from the experienced ones here...if I was sewing on the boat in an anchorage, where would I set it up? I have an aft cabin but in the tropics probably too stuffy. So in the cockpit under a bimini?
If you are looking for work with your sewing machine, set up where the most people will see you working. That is most likely off the boat, on the entrance to the dock. Out of peoples way, but visible so they can walk up to you, and maybe hire you to work for them.

If you are doing it just for you, pick somewhere cool, and enough room to work.
Old 17-07-2012, 18:14   #32

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: I have my first sewing machine (Singer 9020)

Took the Pfaff 230 into a German sewing outfit here to be gone through. Cost $130 with a few parts. It runs really good. Now I'm wondering what size inverter to use to run it on the boat. I will need one anyways for the 22" TV and DVD player (not at the same time of course. It was a 115VAC motor which is a 1.3 amps. So that would be around 13 amp @ 12VDC. That would be 156 watt X 1.2 (service factor). So I'm thinking 500 watts would do it. Am I correct?
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 18:52   #33
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

when you are cruising you do not want to use the machine on a dock.
inside boat in main saloon is best place. has most room.

doj--awesome--i am impressed!!!!

cs--pfaff is a goood one---awesome!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 20:02   #34

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

After comming back to the San Francisco area from the north a few years ago, we pulled into Berkley marina and got a slip behind the harbor mastors office on the wide docks.. planned on only staying there a few days..
dicided to take advantage of the large dock space and pulled out the folding tables and one of the machines to do a few repairs on our sails and canvas.. It wasnt long before we had people walking down the docks with arm fulls of work to be done..
we spent the next three weeks there and made a couple thousand befor we left..
All you have to do is show up with a machine on the dock and people will flock to you with repairs..
The same thing happened when we pulled into OxBow five years ago.. and then again two years ago..
If you do quality work, you'll find a steady stream of people walking to your door with work to do.. you'll find the hardest part is getting away from the work..

By the way Martin, should have your covers done befor the weekend.. bring your new toy down on Saturday if you like and we'll run it throu its Paces....
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2012, 22:02   #35

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
After comming back to the San Francisco area from the north a few years ago, we pulled into Berkley marina and got a slip behind the harbor mastors office on the wide docks.. planned on only staying there a few days..
dicided to take advantage of the large dock space and pulled out the folding tables and one of the machines to do a few repairs on our sails and canvas.. It wasnt long before we had people walking down the docks with arm fulls of work to be done..
we spent the next three weeks there and made a couple thousand befor we left..
All you have to do is show up with a machine on the dock and people will flock to you with repairs..
The same thing happened when we pulled into OxBow five years ago.. and then again two years ago..
If you do quality work, you'll find a steady stream of people walking to your door with work to do.. you'll find the hardest part is getting away from the work..

By the way Martin, should have your covers done befor the weekend.. bring your new toy down on Saturday if you like and we'll run it throu its Paces....

Actually sir...I'm going down to me vessel tomorrow (Wednesday) and will be by my usual time, bugging you.
It's nice to have someone in my area talented with a sewing machine. Not only has Randyonr3 done all my cushion (excellent work) but also has been a wealth of knowledge while tip-toeing through the sewing machine search. Now all I have to do is learn to sew.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:33   #36

Boat: Tayana 37

Have been searching for sewing machine capable of canvas and possibly sail repairs. Seems like there are tons of machines free or uber cheap, but I can't seem to get a "deal". Still searching . . .
Cyndimarcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 10:39   #37
Armchair Bucketeer

I think I may have broken it........

........well, it's now on the "To do list" - subsection marked "poke around with screwdriver" .

Glad it cost me SFA .......but nonetheless have learnt a fair bit.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 13:38   #38

Boat: san jaun 30

SO much you can do with a basic machine and for 0 $ especially with zig-zag. I just made a dodger (prototype) with some good tarp (cosco portable garage wrecked by snow- free), some clear plastic I had kicking around, old speedboat frame. got no pics, but it works fine- cost nothing. the limitation is size of thread, needle, and thickness of material. you can sew so pretty thick reinforcing though. I've sewed triple seatbelt webbing on my singer merrit (course weave can be easier on the machine). so much good boat gear you can make.
pappa gasket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 14:43   #39

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Took the Pfaff 230 into a German sewing outfit here to be gone through. Cost $130 with a few parts. It runs really good. Now I'm wondering what size inverter to use to run it on the boat. I will need one anyways for the 22" TV and DVD player (not at the same time of course. It was a 115VAC motor which is a 1.3 amps. So that would be around 13 amp @ 12VDC. That would be 156 watt X 1.2 (service factor). So I'm thinking 500 watts would do it. Am I correct?
That ought to be plenty big enough.
Pure sine wave inverters have gotten a lot cheaper in the last year, best to invest in one. Electronic stuff doesn't like a modified sine wave.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 20:30   #40

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
Electronic stuff doesn't like a modified sine wave.
Actually the switching power supply used in most electronics "sips" current from the line once per half cycle. The step wave provides a higher constant voltage during those half cycles, as compared to a constantly-changing sine wave, w/ lower peak voltage.

The net is that the current into the step wave inverter is less than the current into the sine wave inverter.

All things being equal, less current is better.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 08:47   #41

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Somewhat off-topic, or maybe lateral, but where do you all find space to work on sails or awnings? I've never been in a marina or boatyard where there was space to work, and there's certainly no room on the boat.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 20:24   #42

Boat: Beneteau FIRST 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Way View Post
Somewhat off-topic, or maybe lateral, but where do you all find space to work on sails or awnings? I've never been in a marina or boatyard where there was space to work, and there's certainly no room on the boat.

Thanks in advance,
Jack
actually Jack, once you start a project, its very simple to work inside or on a dock in a marina..
Most all the canvas (sunbrella) work is done without a measuring tape but instead laying the fabric over the frame and marking with chalk. where the pieces intersect, mark with matching lines for guides, that way you can take it below to be sewn.. it also has to do with the way you make something as my dodgers are made from 6 pannels.. one top and 5 around..and it all zips together..
Just recently repaired the pockets on a full batton main.. everything was marked for repair on the customers boat and the area to be sewn was pushed throu the top hatch to the machine inside.. looked funny having the sail hanging out of the top of my boat but it worked..
And the Machine I use is a full on industrial JUKI 1541 modified with a sailrite MC-SCR /dc motor.. we carry 5 different machines on board including the wife's new embroidery Viking Dimond..
For us, we're on a fixed income (retired) so the addition of funds from sewing gives us a little fun money...
Randyonr3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 01:45   #43

Boat: Dickerson ketch, 36'

Thanks, Randy,

I hadn't thought of that -- I was assuming I'd have to lay the material out flat to measure, but you're right.

Geez, 5 machines on board? That must be a record!

I appreciate the good advice.

Jack
The Way is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2014, 04:09   #44

Boat: 2000 Searay 380 Sundancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randyonr3 View Post
And the Machine I use is a full on industrial JUKI 1541 modified with a sailrite MC-SCR /dc motor..
The Juki DNU-1541 is an incredible commercial machine. Great choice!

It is very heavy, 80 lbs (36.5 kg), just for the machine, plus the mass of the motor. So moving this around, like onto a dock, is a two person job.

My preference when using my Juki DNU-1541S is to set the sewing table height to match my pool table height, so I can use the pool table to extend the work surface. I find that to be essential when creating larger items.
wingless is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
DOJ, sewing machine